Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of UK Centurion has been segregated:

Centurion Card (United Kingdom)
Print Wikipost

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:02 pm

Agreed with Steve.

I personally don't care about any other country's entry point into Centurion since the barrier for entry is so incredibly low in other countries.

Last edited by Music; Mar 1, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Flyertalk is an international community and American Express is a multi-national issuer. We certainly are interested in the experiences of Centurion cardholders in any country, even if those experiences are not directly relevant in other markets.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Music
Agreed with Steve.

We really don't care about any other country's entry point into Centurion since the barrier for entry is so incredibly low in other countries.
Most ignorant comment I read here....

​​​​

Originally Posted by mia
Flyertalk is an international community and American Express is a multi-national issuer. We certainly are interested in the experiences of Centurion cardholders in any country, even if those experiences are not directly relevant in other markets.
Thank you, Mia
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Various
Agreed with Steve.

I personally don't care about any other country's entry point into Centurion since the barrier for entry is so incredibly low in other countries.
Lower than the US? Maybe, all relative and subjective
Incredibly low? No
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Steve M
Part of the mystery is that the requirements vary dramatically between countries, and in many cases, people telling their stories here don't specify which country they're talking about. I think it's fair to say that the majority of discussion and interest is about the US-issued Centurion product. It also seems true that most of the time when someone posts a recent experience about being able to get a new Centurion account with relatively little spend, if we eventually find out what the country of issue is, it's other than the US. Those experiences, while relevant to whatever country's Centurion product is involved, have no bearing on what the US requirements are.
My experience of getting a Centurion invitation despite my lack of multi-million/year expenditures is in the US. I initially thought that it might have been due to my relatively long tenure paying Amex annual fees (first card was the green charge card in 1986, later the gold, now the platinum, plus a few of the credit cards like the Optima when it came out, the Delta co-branded Platinum, and a couple of corporate cards over the years), but others chimed in saying they had similar tenures and never got invited.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
Lower than the US? Maybe, all relative and subjective
Incredibly low? No
Reading this forum over the years has taught us that many countries have a higher bar to pass. Hong Kong and Singapore for example have much higher annual fees and they have income verification. The US never had income verification in the past, although recent reports seem to suggest they may be starting that?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:43 pm

So wanted to update everyone! The small team at Centurion (which I now know everyone lol) went more than above and beyond to help me. I had to apply for the 3 time to finally get it approved. If you read my first postings in this thread sharing with you guys when I got the invite call Jan 16th I had no idea they were going to do a pull only to find out I had delinquent accounts due to identity theft. I had to file a police report and get them removed. Called back AMEX once they were out of my report so they can run again my credit, and it ended up getting declined again. Why? Because I had to actually wait until on the AMEX portal it shows the latest fico reporting. Otherwise the system will almost auto decline when you reapply.

Through this whole process I learned quite a bit of info and one that some of you might already be aware of:

- When they take your app over the phone and you approve them to process it, if you don't get a notification of a hard inquiry on your report you more than likely wont get approved. If you do get the hard pull your approved. Yesterday they allowed me (and trust me after a lot of corporate escalation) a final 3rd application because they knew I went through a lot to clean up my credit with the derogatory accounts. I was approved fairly quickly. Today we setup the account over the phone. Everything is already setup online. Card should show up tomorrow This is for the Personal Centurion.

Will take some pics of the presentation once it shows up. I used to have the Business Centurion back in 07' I was 23 at the time. Back then you can just call after obviously hitting a certain spend and type of spend and apply. Now its a completely different ballpark. They literally handpick them and they don't actually send mass invites out. I have a completely different level of respect towards the selection process now.

Any questions you guys have don't hesitate to ask.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
So wanted to update everyone! The small team at Centurion (which I now know everyone lol) went more than above and beyond to help me. I had to apply for the 3 time to finally get it approved. If you read my first postings in this thread sharing with you guys when I got the invite call Jan 16th I had no idea they were going to do a pull only to find out I had delinquent accounts due to identity theft. I had to file a police report and get them removed. Called back AMEX once they were out of my report so they can run again my credit, and it ended up getting declined again. Why? Because I had to actually wait until on the AMEX portal it shows the latest fico reporting. Otherwise the system will almost auto decline when you reapply.

Through this whole process I learned quite a bit of info and one that some of you might already be aware of:

- When they take your app over the phone and you approve them to process it, if you don't get a notification of a hard inquiry on your report you more than likely wont get approved. If you do get the hard pull your approved. Yesterday they allowed me (and trust me after a lot of corporate escalation) a final 3rd application because they knew I went through a lot to clean up my credit with the derogatory accounts. I was approved fairly quickly. Today we setup the account over the phone. Everything is already setup online. Card should show up tomorrow This is for the Personal Centurion.

Will take some pics of the presentation once it shows up. I used to have the Business Centurion back in 07' I was 23 at the time. Back then you can just call after obviously hitting a certain spend and type of spend and apply. Now its a completely different ballpark. They literally handpick them and they don't actually send mass invites out. I have a completely different level of respect towards the selection process now.

Any questions you guys have don't hesitate to ask.
Did you ever receive your card?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Jay66
Did you ever receive your card?
Yes I did. Right before I departed to Barcelona, Lake Como, and St. Moritz! Was able to get a dedicated RM assigned to my account as well. I worked with him in the past. This is where I get the most amount of value with the card. For me, without a question the yearly cost of the card is nothing compared to the value I get from it. My RM is going to look over my spend and see what other cards I can get to maximize my MR. I know I am leaving several million MR points per year if I just use this card. That little task alone covers my early cost probably 3-4x.

Any other questions you guys have LMK

Personal Centurion
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Seems to me a logical step for Amex would be to have a card in between Platinum and Centurion. A "titanium card" with a $1000-1200 annual annual fee that bridges the gap between platinum and centurion.
I tend to agree (although not your choice of name). Surely they've considered this many times but decided it wasn't worthwhile, for whatever reason(s)?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:04 am

Rickie,
What is the point rebate on personal? On the business it's 50%.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:07 pm

Bueller
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:05 pm

Still waiting on mine.

Late to the party, but congrats on securing a Personal Cent, Rickie! Well done.

Still working on getting an invite for a Personal, on my end. Reassuring to see folks are getting them in the US.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Still waiting on mine.

Late to the party, but congrats on securing a Personal Cent, Rickie! Well done.

Still working on getting an invite for a Personal, on my end. Reassuring to see folks are getting them in the US.
what is your spend like... trending 400k but guess not going to be enough...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:51 pm

Rickie,
What is the point rebate on personal? On the business it's 50%.
20% but now we are getting 5x on hotels and travel too like platinum. There's a ton of other perks no one really talks about. If you have an RM they will bring them up based on what you use. Love the Hertz Platinum, and essentially having a full time assistant for literally everything you need. My RM is more like a friend now. Talk to him nearly everyday. With the Centurion relationship now, its definitely unlike any other card. It truly is a relationship that makes my life a lot more simpler in many ways.

Originally Posted by hawata
what is your spend like... trending 400k but guess not going to be enough...
My spend has always been around 80-120k mo, and can go all the way up to 200k (depends if I purchased a watch that month or not lol). My RM is getting me a few other cards to maximize MR earnings. I always redeem for travel and always fly first/business. Also, getting the free massages and special scotch at the Centurion Lounge is pretty awesome too

Last edited by mia; Apr 8, 2019 at 2:58 pm Reason: Formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.