FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Odd Amex Behavior - Points not posting to hotel/airline accounts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1947598-odd-amex-behavior-points-not-posting-hotel-airline-accounts.html)

michaelr Dec 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Odd Amex Behavior - Points not posting to hotel/airline accounts

I opened a Hilton Aspire and a SPG Luxury card in my wife's name. We met the minimum spend for each card with a single tax transaction. The Amex website shows for her SPG account 112k points earned in October. However, these points have not posted to her Marriott account. She and I have talked multiple times with Amex reps who can see that the points are queued up, however, they never post. SPG/Marriott numbers, first and last name have been doublechecked multiple times and are correct.

With respect to the Aspire card, the Amex website shows that her Hilton account no is missing. Again, we have called multiple times and ask them to add the number. We are told every time that the number should appear with 24 hours, however, it never does. This card was only opened 3-4 weeks so I am in wait and see mode at this point.

She has the Amex Business Blue card which she actively uses and puts $2k-$3k/month spend on. Membership reward points are posting without any issues. About 18 months ago her MR redemption was blocked by Amex. She was not able to transfer any MR points to airlines. This issue remained for about 9 months until I filed a complaint. I filed a complaint for the SPG issue a few days ago, here: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

No one from Amex has indicated at all that anything is under investigation. Yet it seems odd that nothing can be done to enable the transfers of the points & that she the same issues with two separate cards and hotel providers.

Is anyone else having similar issues with Amex?

Grapenut Dec 26, 2018 5:48 pm

I have yet to contact Amex or Hilton, but my HH account appears to have the same problem. I received the 40k HH points bonus from an Amex offer after $2k spend (x2) on 12/3, and then my statement closed on 12/13. The HH portal shows the Aspire Card Pts earned from that statement in the activity feed, but my total points pool does not include that amount. I'll reach out in the next day or so and report back.

michaelr Dec 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Confirmed - Transfers are blocked

I did hear back. Amex confirmed my concern. It is a template and does contain a couple of mistakes.

1. We did not request any additional points. We simply wanted the bonus points and the ones earned for the spend.
2. The complaint was about Starwood / Marriott only. However, the response mentions Hilton as well. I had not mentioned the Hilton card, but it is safe to assume, it is blocked as well.

It will be interesting to see, if the points will be unblocked eventually. My plan is to let 8 weeks pass and then reinitiate a complaint. Statement travel and hotel credit have not been affected whatsoever.

Dear Ms. R,

We’re writing in response to your recent correspondence to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Unfortunately, we are unable to expedite your points earned on your American Express Starwood Luxury Card or issue the requested additional points.
Thank you for your Card Membership since 1985. We know how valuable Starwood points are and understand the concerns you have about the transfer of points you earned with the promotional offer. The welcome offer associated with the October 02, 2018 application provided you an opportunity to earn 100,000 bonus points after $5,000.00 or more in eligible purchases are made on the Card within the first three months (92 days) of Card Membership.
You are a long-standing customer of ours and we appreciate you giving us an opportunity to serve you. We offer the welcome bonus to first time customers as a way for them to try the benefits and rewards associated with our Cards. The terms of the offer explain that If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit bonus points to your account. In accordance with these terms, we are currently reviewing your account which has temporarily suspended the transfer of your points to Hilton. Once we have completed our review your points will be transferred if we determine that you complied with the terms of the promotion.

Thank you for your Card Membership.

Sincerely, [Name] Customer Advocate Services Team American Express Global Services Group, Salt Lake City, UT

rover4618 Dec 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Anyone know if paying taxes to meet bonus spend with the Delta Business Gold is a problem ?

mia Dec 29, 2018 12:48 pm

Moderator action

I moved rover4618's post to this thread because it contains a troubling relevant report:

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 30585552)
Anyone know if paying taxes to meet bonus spend with the Delta Business Gold is a problem ?

Originally Posted by michaelr (Post 30575966)
I opened a Hilton Aspire and a SPG Luxury card in my wife's name. We met the minimum spend for each card with a single tax transaction. The Amex website shows for her SPG account 112k points earned in October. However, these points have not posted

Paying taxes should not be a problem. I have done it several times to earn new account bonuses. The tax payment does not seem to be the focus of American Express' investigation in michaelr's example, but perhaps too soon to be certain.

Grapenut Dec 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Paying taxes should not be a problem. I have done it several times to earn new account bonuses. The tax payment does not seem to be the focus of American Express' investigation in [b]michaelr's example, but perhaps too soon to be certain.

I will have a data point on the tax item soon. Just made a payment that met the spend requirement on a personal Platinum card. Now waiting on the signup bonus to process.

Back to the original missing Hilton points item. Spoke with Amex representative and they show the points as pending and will hit on my next statement. Seems odd as I felt previous months had the Hilton points released at the end of statement, and not hit with the month delay similar to MR.

Grapenut Dec 30, 2018 7:18 am

My tax payment hit my account balance yesterday, and the platinum signup bonus processed overnight.

rover4618 Dec 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Grapenut (Post 30587695)
My tax payment hit my account balance yesterday, and the platinum signup bonus processed overnight.

Thank you for that D.P. and happy new year to you.

michaelr Feb 10, 2019 7:30 pm

It turns out that both my wife's Hilton account and the Marriott account had profile issues. The Marriott account had my birthdate, not hers. Once this was fixed, the SPG luxury points posted immediately. The Hilton account had her last name misspelled. I submitted an online request to get this fixed. I am pretty sure once the name is corrected, this issue will resolve itself as well. Both accounts have been open for many years and many transfers / credit card bonuses have been successfully posted to them. It appears that Amex is finally putting the IT in place to actually match profile data before points can transfer successfully. The silver lining is that my wife's account likely was never under any investigation...