$100 TURO Gift Card from AMEX

Old Dec 24, 18, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

$100 TURO Gift Card from AMEX

Received a "Gift" from AMEX "In appreciation of your Card Membership" today - that is a $100 TURO Gift Card with a redemption code.

Has anybody received this in the past? Is it a good "shared rental" service to use? What would be the insurance coverage?

I would much prefer to receive a Saks or Nordstrom instead!
Old Dec 24, 18, 4:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Bombay Plat, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Received a "Gift" from AMEX "In appreciation of your Card Membership" today - that is a $100 TURO Gift Card with a redemption code.

Has anybody received this in the past? Is it a good "shared rental" service to use? What would be the insurance coverage?

I would much prefer to receive a Saks or Nordstrom instead!
I checked TURO as a rental option once - the owner of the car I was interested in made it clear in the advertisement that I would have to bring proof of insurance when renting the vehicle.
Old Dec 24, 18, 6:46 pm

I've used Turo several times with great results (and had one negative experience). They are now offering insurance through Liberty Mutual. I think they are a viable option, regardless of how you feel about the "AirBnB of car rental companies". Here are some fairly recent articles: https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...u-should-care/ and https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimclas...rraris-teslas/

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
I checked TURO as a rental option once - the owner of the car I was interested in made it clear in the advertisement that I would have to bring proof of insurance when renting the vehicle.

Last edited by MarkY123; Dec 24, 18 at 6:52 pm
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:38 pm

Again, "member" since 1983 and the only thing that I have ever received from AMEX is a bill every month.
Old Dec 25, 18, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wesheltonj View Post
Again, "member" since 1983 and the only thing that I have ever received from AMEX is a bill every month.
Dont feel bad. My feeling is, this is just a marketing gimmick given the little research I tried on TURO. It is basically a wasteful way to push an advertiser (a fancy envelope with a hard cardboard and the plastic card).

I would have better opinion if the "gift" is a traditional merchant that most would be able to use the "gift", not a Sharing Economy rental car outfit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: