Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum, Gold, Aspire airline fee reimbursement rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Please use these threads for discussion of specific airline reimbursement strategies:

AA Thread
AS Thread
B6 Thread
DL Thread
HA Thread
UA Thread
WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

how to use amex platinum airline fee credit for non airline purchases
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Choose your airline, then make a qualified purchase. It will be credited automatically. Each airline has its own thread here dedicated to which types of purchases trigger the credit and which don’t, as it varies airline to airline.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. It is not possible to use the credit for non-airline expenses. It is possible to use it without flying in 2018. Here are the links to the eligible airlines. Under specific circumstances purchases of AA, DL or WN giftcards will be reimbused. Read first:

AA Thread
AS Thread
B6 Thread
DL Thread
HA Thread
UA Thread
WN Thread
digitalpuppy likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:41 pm

Looking over the list, does it require selection of a U.S.-based airline?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rove312
....does it require selection of a U.S.-based airline?
Yes, you must choose an eligible airline from the list published by American Express. They are USA-based carriers.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:08 am

Plat Annual Fee Refund Rules

Does anyone know if I redeem my $200 plat airline allowance via gift card on, say, Jan 1 and get my credit by say, Jan 7, and also use $15 in Uber credit then cancel the card before paying my annual fee re-up which is part of my bill due on 1/8 if there will be any issues getting the $550 refunded?

The $550 fee posted on 12/15. I paid the fee last year as part of my initial Plat sign up.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I wish that they'd crack down on this, but historically people can use two calendar year fees before cancelling.
risenmyth likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Airline fee credit transaction date or posting date?

I applied for the Amex Plat Business card today and was approved.

I understand that the airline fee credit is based on calendar year. I should hopefully get my card by Monday latest (31st)

if my transaction takes place on 31st Dec will this trigger the 2018 credit or will I use my 2019 credit?

Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
transaction
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But beware:

Some people have not gotten an airline credit when they used it too soon (within just hours) after selecting their airline online. So if you're not able to select the airline before Dec 31, there's a risk in making the purchase on Dec 31, because you might not get the credit at all.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Selected airline today, card arrives tomorrow
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:15 pm

There are instances of people purchasing on Dec. 31, posting on Jan. 1, and then having it count against their credit for the next year
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
was this in 17? and was this everyone or some people
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nhw3w
Does anyone know if I redeem my $200 plat airline allowance via gift card on, say, Jan 1 and get my credit by say, Jan 7, and also use $15 in Uber credit then cancel the card before paying my annual fee re-up which is part of my bill due on 1/8 if there will be any issues getting the $550 refunded?

The $550 fee posted on 12/15. I paid the fee last year as part of my initial Plat sign up.
You won’t have any trouble getting the AF refund. I’m doing the same as you on my personal plat. I also have an Ameriprise plat which I’ll be keeping (fee free for a year).

FYI, you have the entire month to use your Uber credit. The credit is added to your Uber account on Jan 1. Even if you cancel your platinum card on Jan 2, you will have the entire month to use that credit.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gig103
I wish that they'd crack down on this, but historically people can use two calendar year fees before cancelling.
Two? Using three years of airline credits without paying renewal fee is the way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.