Mandarin oriental FHR expectations

Old Dec 19, 18, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex platinum, Marriott platinum, Hilton diamond, hearts presidents circle
Mandarin oriental FHR expectations

Proposing to my girlfriend of 4 years while in DC at mandarin oriental. What should I expect should I mention /flash ring at check in for better upgrades. Trying to impress
Old Dec 19, 18, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Mandarin hotel are not usually very generous with upgrades, in your case, I would suggest to contact directly the property, I got a terrasse suite in Barcelona for 1/3 of the rate once, it was a special events and my amex concierge was able to get a special deal
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:21 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I'd call ahead and speak with someone at the property about your plans.
Perhaps they can offer you an Ad-Hoc price on something more in line with your ideas.
counting on FHR for something special here to start the next part of your life is really over-reaching.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
I proposed there earlier this year, also on an FHR rate, we used our property credit for the afternoon tea. Talk to Jack Nargil (PM me if you'd like an email) if you'd like some help organizing anything you may have planned for the weekend.

Upgrades are based on availability, and a proposal from a first time guest likely won't amount to much. Book the room you want to stay in.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 4:44 pm

Whenever in a major city or metro I will always use FHR. I've stayed at the Mandarin one time under FHR program, and never again. Upgrade was non existent, rooms very were mediocre, and service disappointed.
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I will echo the above statement. I checked into a MO property, was told flatly "we don't upgrade" and I found my room to be vastly underwhelming. I checked out the next morning and went to a Grand Hyatt that exceeded my expectations on service and design. In short, don't count on any short of meaningful upgrade through AMEX at Mandarin Oriental.
Old Dec 27, 18, 1:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
The dedicated FHR upgrade thread has 10 posts re. MO, including DC . Upgrades did take place at all reported properties. For DC it's 1 upgrade and 1 did not.

Last edited by mia; Jan 22, 19 at 4:51 pm Reason: Remove expired Search
Old Jan 14, 19, 12:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite, EK Gold, ICC Centurion
I recently proposed at MO Kuala Lumpur with FHR.

I spoke to them in advance, they were kind enough to provide an 9am check-in and breakfast on the day of arrival while the room was being cleaned.

Mild upgrade to a corner room but they sent up a brautoful bouquet of flowers and some chocolates while we went for a couples massage (Centurion FHR extra $100 benefit for 2+ nights).

They also gave us late check-out to 5pm (and said we could have until 6pm if needed).

Overall I was quite impressed with the quality of the offering (also keeping in mind, rate was $149++ per night with breakfast and $200 of F&B/spa credit. Can't argue with that!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 6:26 am

Stayed at MO Singapore, booked the basic room and upgraded to City Suite.

Overall a good experience with FHR.
Old Jan 22, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xcollon View Post
Stayed at MO Singapore, booked the basic room and upgraded to City Suite.

Overall a good experience with FHR.
Nice! How long was your stay? Any review of the other FHR benefits? Will be staying there in March with gf - basic room booked.
Old Jan 22, 19, 4:52 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

I have closed this thread for now. Drmart9795 is welcome to contact me by PM if he wants the thread reopened for any followup questions, or to report on the stay.

Originally Posted by icelandman2 View Post
....Any review of the other FHR benefits? ....
This is the primary thread for FHR property reviews:

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: