FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Mandarin oriental FHR expectations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1946713-mandarin-oriental-fhr-expectations.html)

Drmart9795 Dec 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Mandarin oriental FHR expectations

Proposing to my girlfriend of 4 years while in DC at mandarin oriental. What should I expect should I mention /flash ring at check in for better upgrades. Trying to impress

pvgman Dec 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Mandarin hotel are not usually very generous with upgrades, in your case, I would suggest to contact directly the property, I got a terrasse suite in Barcelona for 1/3 of the rate once, it was a special events and my amex concierge was able to get a special deal

ABG Dec 20, 2018 12:21 am

I'd call ahead and speak with someone at the property about your plans.
Perhaps they can offer you an Ad-Hoc price on something more in line with your ideas.
counting on FHR for something special here to start the next part of your life is really over-reaching.

Beltway2A Dec 20, 2018 5:08 am

I proposed there earlier this year, also on an FHR rate, we used our property credit for the afternoon tea. Talk to Jack Nargil (PM me if you'd like an email) if you'd like some help organizing anything you may have planned for the weekend.

Upgrades are based on availability, and a proposal from a first time guest likely won't amount to much. Book the room you want to stay in.

emcnj Dec 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Whenever in a major city or metro I will always use FHR. I've stayed at the Mandarin one time under FHR program, and never again. Upgrade was non existent, rooms very were mediocre, and service disappointed.

Nicksta Dec 20, 2018 6:58 pm

I will echo the above statement. I checked into a MO property, was told flatly "we don't upgrade" and I found my room to be vastly underwhelming. I checked out the next morning and went to a Grand Hyatt that exceeded my expectations on service and design. In short, don't count on any short of meaningful upgrade through AMEX at Mandarin Oriental.

beep88 Dec 27, 2018 12:49 pm

The dedicated FHR upgrade thread has 10 posts re. MO, including DC . Upgrades did take place at all reported properties. For DC it's 1 upgrade and 1 did not.

avarice13 Jan 14, 2019 11:17 am

I recently proposed at MO Kuala Lumpur with FHR.

I spoke to them in advance, they were kind enough to provide an 9am check-in and breakfast on the day of arrival while the room was being cleaned.

Mild upgrade to a corner room but they sent up a brautoful bouquet of flowers and some chocolates while we went for a couples massage (Centurion FHR extra $100 benefit for 2+ nights).

They also gave us late check-out to 5pm (and said we could have until 6pm if needed).

Overall I was quite impressed with the quality of the offering (also keeping in mind, rate was $149++ per night with breakfast and $200 of F&B/spa credit. Can't argue with that!

xcollon Jan 15, 2019 5:26 am

Stayed at MO Singapore, booked the basic room and upgraded to City Suite.

Overall a good experience with FHR.

icelandman2 Jan 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by xcollon (Post 30656708)
Stayed at MO Singapore, booked the basic room and upgraded to City Suite.

Overall a good experience with FHR.

Nice! How long was your stay? Any review of the other FHR benefits? Will be staying there in March with gf - basic room booked.

mia Jan 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Moderator action

I have closed this thread for now. Drmart9795 is welcome to contact me by PM if he wants the thread reopened for any followup questions, or to report on the stay.

Originally Posted by icelandman2 (Post 30687766)
....Any review of the other FHR benefits? ....

This is the primary thread for FHR property reviews:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...las-vegas.html