Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Membership Rewards UK vs USA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster

American Express Membership Rewards UK vs USA

I have a UK American Express platinum card and find it rather frustrating that the USA platinum card seems to offer a lot more than the UK. There are far more benefits with the USA card in the UK and some others seem to not make sense when they could easily implement them in the UK. Does anyone know why this is and if there is a website you can post requests to Amex to enquire about such things?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
"Second, card issuers use frequent flyer miles and reward points to encourage American consumers to swipe their cards as many times as possible. This is because they earn a fee for each transaction. These interchange fees — falling under the broad umbrella known as merchant transaction fees — are charged by a card-issuing bank to an acquiring bank for the acceptance of card-based transactions."

and

"Internationally, interchange fees are much lower than in the US. In 2015, the European Parliament voted to limit interchange fees to 0.3% on personal credit cards, considerably lower than the roughly 3% here in the States. That means there’s no profit margin for card issuers to incentivize a consumer with a rebate worth 1-3% to swipe their card. Similar legislation and interchange minimization practices have occurred in Australia, New Zealand and South America."

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/why...re-so-high-us/
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by skayser
..... There are far more benefits with the USA card in the UK and some others seem to not make sense when they could easily implement them in the UK....
UK Platinum Cards includes many benefits not included with USA-issued cards. What Membership Rewards features are you missing, aside from some specific airline transfer partners?

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
....European Parliament.....
I don't think the EU interchange cap applies to American Express' proprietary branded cards which would earn Membership Rewards points, but nonetheless the low merchant fee competitive environment puts pressure on American Express.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:17 pm

My biggest gripe is the 2.99% non-sterling transaction fee that seems to be waived across most of the US issued cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.