Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Plat Air Credit, Uber, Saks question (claim credits in Jan, cancel, for refund)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Plat Air Credit, Uber, Saks question (claim credits in Jan, cancel, for refund)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

My AMEX platinum annual fee just hit when y statement closed on Dec 8th. I know I have 30 days to close/cancel to get the annual fee back, but, the new year will come before that and I will be able to use the Airline credit, saks credit and possibly the January Uber credit. If I do all that and it all credits before the 30 days from the 8th, and then cancel, do you think they will claw back the credits? I have just opened the Schwab Plat so will be getting the credits there for Jan anyway, so wondering if I should just play it safe. Any experience with this? Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:06 am

Can’t say for sure, but it certainly seems Amex is cracking down hard on gaming the system. If you were completely leaving the brand and didn’t plan to return, go scorched Earth, but otherwise I would play it safe.
lax01 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: DL PM
this is of course not definitive, but as a data point: my MB plat annual fee posted in june this year and i was able to use the $50 saks credit in early july as well as my july uber credit before cancelling within 30 days, my entire annual fee was refunded and neither credit was clawed back
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I have an Ameriprise Amex Plat that will renew this month and I want to cancel. (I decided to switch to the Hilton Aspire which I got a month ago.) I also have the $95 Amex Marriott card which I’ve had for several years.

The Ameriprise card is only a year old and I got it when it was still first year free. My question is should I cancel before or after the annual fee hits? I’ve already used the airline and Saks credits for 2020. The reason I’m asking is I know in Canada, if you cancel a card after the annual fee hits, they will claw back the airline credit. However if you cancel before, they don’t seem to catch it. Obviously, I’d like to keep my Saks and airline credits. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.