Centurion Lounge PHX (Autumn 2019)

Old Dec 5, 18, 8:41 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Centurion Lounge PHX (Autumn 2019)

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...ts/1754072002/
According to minutes taken during the bidding process, MAG proposed splitting the area into two lounges. One would be the American Express Centurion lounge. Only holders of American Express' Centurion (an elite by-invitation-only card) or Platinum cards can use this lounge.
The placement of Cent Lounges in ex-US Airways hubs continues. I can only hope that DCA is next.
mia, steve64 and NauticalWheeler like this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:01 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Anyone interested in better understanding why American Express has not put a lounge in a specific airport should read the linked article. It gives us a glimpse of the multi-party decision making process, the testing, the lobbying, etc that goes into these contracts. Lounges are lucrative, and spaced leased to American Express is space not available to someone else.
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I saw the rumors to this in the AA forum and was waiting for the vote to post in this area. Nice find on AZCentral, Beltway2A!

I switched to DL in part for Skyclub access from my Plat card, but it is nice that PHX (an Amex headquarters city) is likely to finally get a Cent lounge! And based on my experience in MSP, Escape runs better setups than The Club, so it's a win for us even if they decide to vote against Centurion.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it doesn't make sense too have both a Centurion lounge and also an Escape lounge as both admit AmEx Plat/Centurion cardmembers. Typically Centurion allows those with other AmEx cards to pay to enter, so it the difference just that other people with other credit cards (but not AmEx) can pay to enter the Escape lounge?
Old Dec 5, 18, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
City Council approved the lounge contract. City Council Results Line Item #81
Gig103 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IMO it doesn't make sense too have both a Centurion lounge and also an Escape lounge as both admit AmEx Plat/Centurion cardmembers. Typically Centurion allows those with other AmEx cards to pay to enter, so it the difference just that other people with other credit cards (but not AmEx) can pay to enter the Escape lounge?
My personal analysis is that Amex wanted a Centurion lounge at their HQ city, but the concessions deal had to include an option for a "paid entry lounge". So they decided to split the space to ensure the win.

I wonder if BA will continue to opt for the contract lounge (now that it is Escape) even though Oneworld allows business/first passengers into the Admiral's Club in the other B concourse.
Old Dec 6, 18, 4:19 pm

never made sense to me why BA needed a lounge where they are One World.
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by NationalChamps2015 View Post
never made sense to me why BA needed a lounge where they are One World.
I shrugged at the screen when I read your post. But have to say that despite the grief it gets, I was glad for The Club. I'm not a big drinker, but at least The Club didn't limit me to a single "premium" drink chit like the Admiral's Club. And BA did have a staffer upstairs a few hours prior to departure which is a good thing, too (yes that person could have moved to the Admiral's Club if necessary).
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:49 am

Makes a little more sense. I've never been in an Admiral's Club. But for as much grief as the Club at PHX gets on this board, I always like visiting it with me wife. The people are always nice and the drinks are good.
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
ORD! We need ORD! But seriously, I'm happy for PHX too.
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Typically Centurion allows those with other AmEx cards to pay to enter, so it the difference just that other people with other credit cards (but not AmEx) can pay to enter the Escape lounge?
I think that after the lounges started getting more crowded, they did away with that.
There is no longer any mention of paying for access apart from additional guests of Plat/Cent card members.
https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/faq
Old Dec 18, 18, 5:56 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
.... they did away with that.
Correct, Centurion lounges no longer sell day passes, except to Centurion and Platinum cardholders who wish to enter with more than two guests:

Access is only available to Platinum and Centurion Members and their guests.

Platinum Card and Centurion Members may purchase a day-pass for any additional guests for $50 USD at the time of entry. The $50 one-day pass for additional guests is valid at any location of The Centurion Lounge on the same day, as long as the guest is still accompanied by the Card Member.
Old Apr 27, 19, 12:13 am

I was at the future Phx Sky Harbor Centurion Lounge today and anyone can enter via a day pass purchase via the Escape Lounge name. This lounge will be a pain to enter for a good majority of domestic flights so you may want to keep your Admirals Club membership. But if you fly Southwest Airlines you can get to the this lounge via a North South Bridge from the CD terminals that connects to the AB terminals that are dominated by American Airlines.

Last edited by Centurion; Apr 27, 19 at 8:05 pm
Old Apr 29, 19, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
I was at the future Phx Sky Harbor Centurion Lounge today and anyone can enter via a day pass purchase via the Escape Lounge name. This lounge will be a pain to enter for a good majority of domestic flights so you may want to keep your Admirals Club membership. But if you fly Southwest Airlines you can get to the this lounge via a North South Bridge from the CD terminals that connects to the AB terminals that are dominated by American Airlines.
Hi Cent, I'm curious if they have started the remodel or if it's still "The Club" but with an Escape logo? Any ideas (maybe you asked) if BA is still using the lounge?
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
as amex plat card gives access to a centurion & escape lounge, anyone knows what the diff is between the two? will escape lounge allow access for arrival, or departure only like centurion's? TIA

Search this Thread