Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Business Platinum 2019 feature refresh + fee Increase ($595)

USA Business Platinum 2019 feature refresh + fee Increase ($595)

Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW

there are limited time Fedex offers that can be synced to any Amex business card but the 5% rebate program through amex open ended this summer. You might check a recent statement to verify the rebate.
I checked my account this morning, and the FedEx shipping offer is back up. Up to $1000 rebate through spring.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
I can't really figure out Amex's motivation here. Are they really trying to increase annual fee revenue? Or thin the ranks?

They pretty clearly aren't making the card more attractive.
They're betting, and probably accurately, that a 33% increase in the annual fee will exceed the number of cardholders that will cancel because of it in top line revenue terms.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:50 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by dickinson
I checked my account this morning, and the FedEx shipping offer is back up. Up to $1000 rebate through spring.
that is the sync offer. It was available on my no cost Amex blue business card also so the sync offers are not a reason to pay the platinum fee.

Luckily, I have a November renewal so I can see what happens next year before deciding. If nothing else, I would suggest having another membership rewards card so cancellation does not cause a points loss.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by QtownDave
If you pay your FedEx bill with Amex they give an 5% rebate, up to $1500 a year (I think).
I believe this ended in June:

OPEN Savings folded into Amex Offers beginning June 1, 2018

There are now FedEx Offers, but you do not necessarily need Business Platinum to enroll, just as you did not need Business Platinum to obtain the OPEN Savings discount.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
They're betting, and probably accurately, that a 33% increase in the annual fee will exceed the number of cardholders that will cancel because of it in top line revenue terms.
And I suppose that on the business side of the cc world, there isn't really a good competitor at this point.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW

there are limited time Fedex offers that can be synced to any Amex business card but the 5% rebate program through amex open ended this summer. You might check a recent statement to verify the rebate.
Originally Posted by mia
I believe this ended in June:

OPEN Savings folded into Amex Offers beginning June 1, 2018

There are now FedEx Offers, but you do not necessarily need Business Platinum to enroll, just as you did not need Business Platinum to obtain the OPEN Savings discount.
Just checked the statement and looks like you guys are correct.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:20 am
mia

I can't really figure out Amex's motivation here. ....
The personal and Business Platinum fee increases pay for the Centurion Lounge network.

When American Express lost access to CO and AA lounges they invented the $200 airline fee credit to compensate. This was effectively a 44% fee reduction. Now that American Express has built its own lounge network, they could either eliminate the $200 credit, or leave it in place and raise the nominal fee.

$595 seems about right. When the personal Platinum card was introduced in 1983 the annual fee was $250. That's $600+ in today's dollars.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by mia
The personal and Business Platinum fee increases pay for the Centurion Lounge network.

When American Express lost access to CO and AA lounges they invented the $200 airline fee credit to compensate. This was effectively a 44% fee reduction. Now that American Express has built its own lounge network, they could either eliminate the $200 credit, or leave it in place and raise the nominal fee.

$595 seems about right. When the personal Platinum card was introduced in 1983 the annual fee was $250. That's $600+ in today's dollars.
hmmm.....while emotionally it feels like a sucker punch, that's actually a fairly reasonable and rational explanation. Thank you.

I really enjoy my business plat and get a lot of use out of it, but i'll probably switch to the personal now. I did pretty well with AMEX offers this year, but most of those "business" offers also showed up on my BBP card. If AMEX had added the 5x airfare to the business plat, it would be a harder choice for me, but it looks like for my personal situation I can do better with the personal plat and the BBP now. I have until June to feel things out a little better though, and if i cancel, will be able to use the $200 Dell credit if it's an annual credit rather than a limited amount per month.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia

Are you saying that access to the CO and AA lounges compares to a network of nine Centurion lounges? Sure, they're much, much nicer lounges, but the number of locations is pretty lopsided.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:07 pm

Are you saying that access to the CO and AA lounges compares to a network of nine Centurion lounges? Sure, they're much, much nicer lounges, but the number of locations is pretty lopsided.
i don't think she is making any judgement on what comparatively is better. I think she is just saying that this is how AMEX is allocating its costs and trying to justify its increase. It's up to the individual to decide whether it's worth it or not.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:13 pm

Personally I think American Express needs a complete overhaul of their card benefits.

I see the reason for all their different offerings (Cent, Plat, Bus, Hotels etc) but the benefits are such a hodge podge that I'm not sure we as consumers truly do benefit. There are benefits on my business Plat that I'd like on my Centurion and vice versa. It's getting quite complicated to optimize card usage so much to the point that I will drop my Plat Business at renewal.

I think it'd be a great idea if Amex would give their members a shopping list of benefits and let us pick the ones we want to customize our card. Yes they might lose absolute total card numbers but their revenue would probably increase with more custom/targeted usage. Say give us a list of 50 benefits and let us pick 10 while the card itself would have 3-5 core benefits that relate specifically to the card type, (Such as Air, Hotel, Centurion etc)

Just a thought.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Just trying to get some clarity on the billing cycle verbiage. It says it will take effect on or after the February billing. My February bill will close around the 11th or 12th with my renewal fee included on that bill. Will this bill be considered my February billing cycle or is my February billing cycle on my March bill. Just tryng to figure out whether I have two months or 14 months on what to do with my points.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:46 pm

I found this 2 minute video regarding WeWork Global Access ( what will be offered by the card ):

Looks like you will have to actually book an appointment rather than it just be a drop in/out as you please type of membership. Maybe it is limiting, maybe it is not. No idea. But this was the first piece of actual information i could find about the membership.

Everything else when you type in "wework global access" is bloggers and news articles pretending they are the first ones to break the story.
mia likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:07 pm
mia

Are you saying that access to the CO and AA lounges compares to a network of nine Centurion lounges?
Not numerically equivalent, but what I see is that American Express reduced the net annual fee in 2010 by $200 when they lost AA/CO, built-out the Centurion Lounge network 2013-2019, and now they are raising the net annual fee by $100 for personal and $145 for Business Platinum.

There are nine Centurion branded lounges today, but at least three more will open in 2019, and there are a half dozen other Amex lounges outside the USA.

I think access to a dozen Centurion lounges will be worth the incremental $100-$145/year for enough cardholders to make the lounge network sustainable.

Last edited by mia; Dec 4, 2018 at 5:57 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
I think it'd be a great idea if Amex would give their members a shopping list of benefits and let us pick the ones we want to customize our card. Yes they might lose absolute total card numbers but their revenue would probably increase with more custom/targeted usage. Say give us a list of 50 benefits and let us pick 10 while the card itself would have 3-5 core benefits that relate specifically to the card type, (Such as Air, Hotel, Centurion etc)
Not sure how much sense this would make. Benefits, much like insurance, amex hopes not everyone would use everything. By letting us cherry pick our own benefits; everyone would be essentially using every benefit... money losing proposition.
mia, IndyHoosier and stromile like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.