Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Centurion offer after 10m+ annual spend and $5m in Amex savings account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Centurion offer after 10m+ annual spend and $5m in Amex savings account?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
Originally Posted by garykung
OP -- I have an advice for you.

If you are serious about getting a Centurion Card, then contact AMEX CEO for that.

Still, if AMEX denies you, it gives you a perfect excuse to leave.

I've done this with 14M in spend when Ken Chenault was CEO. Still didn't get it!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Not surer what you consider flashy but I'm just placing an educated guess that out of 100 people 99 won't know what the JPM Reserve Card is and just disregard it as a common CC (material is irrelevant, there are tons of metal cards out there by now).

On the other hand I bet that out of a 100 at least 40 know what a Black Amex is and associate it with wealth -> Flashy. No matter what you get the Centurion to make extra money off it and rape the benefits of the card, not to pay with it at In N Out and hope the associate notices what card you use. Most transactions nowadays are online or Apple Pay anyway.
I doubt that it's as high as 40% - in the 18 years I've been a Centurion customer, and using it over 10K times in person, I've probably had no more than 10-15 comments or people acknowledging what it is. A number did comment to the weight of the card when the shift to Titanium was made in 2008, as that was unusual then for a card but that has dropped off in recent years as many more products issue in heavier materials than plastic
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln841
I've heard there is an element of fame for it now
My neighbor is a pro athlete in a major sport. Recently signed a 8 digit deal over a few years. Definitely does not spend as lavishly as what you might see on TMZ, and I doubt he spends $1M+ annually. He was invited for a Centurion.

ETA: He didn't request it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Not surer what you consider flashy but I'm just placing an educated guess that out of 100 people 99 won't know what the JPM Reserve Card is and just disregard it as a common CC (material is irrelevant, there are tons of metal cards out there by now).
You may be correct about 99% not knowing what the JPM card is. I like the fact that the JPMR is not well-known.

You definitely are incorrect that it is regarded as a common metal card. Probably 30-40% of the time I hand it over, there is a comment about the unusual weight of the card. I tend to get the weight comments at lower-end places, and I can't think of a time that the card resulted in a comment at a high-end restaurant or hotel.

Recently at a family-oriented restaurant we frequent, the owner's adult son ---who has taken my JPMR numerous times--couldn't help himself from gushing over the card. In conversation, he said he's seen a number of Centurion cards, but never a JPMR. From the affect he displayed, he thought it quite "special."
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lincoln841
I've done this with 14M in spend when Ken Chenault was CEO. Still didn't get it!
Read my post again.

I don't care who is (or was) the CEO. What I said was to contact the CEO Office before jumping ships.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
You may be correct about 99% not knowing what the JPM card is. I like the fact that the JPMR is not well-known.

You definitely are incorrect that it is regarded as a common metal card. Probably 30-40% of the time I hand it over, there is a comment about the unusual weight of the card. I tend to get the weight comments at lower-end places, and I can't think of a time that the card resulted in a comment at a high-end restaurant or hotel.

Recently at a family-oriented restaurant we frequent, the owner's adult son ---who has taken my JPMR numerous times--couldn't help himself from gushing over the card. In conversation, he said he's seen a number of Centurion cards, but never a JPMR. From the affect he displayed, he thought it quite "special."
It`s a dude though.... just saying.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by wtsuppr415
It sounds like there are no leads on why I have not received an offer, but to answer the other questions that came up:
Congratulations. With that kind of money, I would want both cards. You might even want a UBS account too. I think UBS has certain benefits. I would move some of my expenses to the JPM Card (I think they want $5,000,000 for an account). Also, I believe they have special money funds that you can only access with multi-million dollar balances. Not sure what sort of points, if any you get with JPM, but you can get a Chase Sapphire too.

Citi Private Bank and a Citi Prestige card is great too, especially with 5X restaurants coming next month.

I agree with the earlier poster that you should write to the CEO. Send it FedEx and see what happens. If nothing, after moving some of my charges to JPM, I would tell Amex you will be moving the rest unless.

Further, if I were you, I would be putting my money in 90-day T-Bills. Fully government "insured". State/local tax benefits depending where you live. As liquid as anything. Also, many brokers let you buy them and/or trade them for free.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Then I’ve no idea what triggered it. As I detailed on the posts I mentioned, my spend over the years has been pretty vanilla.
I wonder if Amex approaches the invites similarly to how a prestigious University approaches its acceptance of applicants. They want to build a diverse class of students from all sorts of places, backgrounds, walks of life, etc. to boast a unique, multicultural, diverse experience to those who enroll. Harvard can't just let in a bunch of white kids from the suburbs who aced their SATs. Is it the same with Centurion? It just can't be all Wall Street/Hollywood types b/c they have crazy high spends at high profile luxury restaurants and hotels, etc otherwise it'd just be a bunch of Angelenos and New Yorkers, right? And then, in those circles, it loses a bit of its prestige and, for almost everywhere else, it's completely irrelevant - neither of which is good. So I'd guess that they'd want people who fit some particular categories but maybe hail from RDU and Memphis and Omaha and Boise - a cultivated selection of folks in different places in different occupations w/ different types of spends to ensure that the card maintains its prestige and visibility - a far more effective marketing/promotional strategy for a card that's not really "advertised."
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
Originally Posted by garykung
Read my post again.

I don't care who is (or was) the CEO. What I said was to contact the CEO Office before jumping ships.

Read my lips. That's what I did. I contacted the CEO. It didn't help. Still didn't get it, with $14M in spend.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
I wonder if Amex approaches the invites similarly to how a prestigious University approaches its acceptance of applicants. They want to build a diverse class of students from all sorts of places, backgrounds, walks of life, etc. to boast a unique, multicultural, diverse experience to those who enroll. Harvard can't just let in a bunch of white kids from the suburbs who aced their SATs. Is it the same with Centurion? It just can't be all Wall Street/Hollywood types b/c they have crazy high spends at high profile luxury restaurants and hotels, etc otherwise it'd just be a bunch of Angelenos and New Yorkers, right? And then, in those circles, it loses a bit of its prestige and, for almost everywhere else, it's completely irrelevant - neither of which is good. So I'd guess that they'd want people who fit some particular categories but maybe hail from RDU and Memphis and Omaha and Boise - a cultivated selection of folks in different places in different occupations w/ different types of spends to ensure that the card maintains its prestige and visibility - a far more effective marketing/promotional strategy for a card that's not really "advertised."
Maybe, but keep in mind Centurion is supposed to have the allure of exclusivity, as opposed to being inclusive. My first Amex was the green card in early 1986, at the time I lived in Southern California. Since then I moved to the Bay Area, and more recently to North Carolina. The only less than ordinary aspect to my spending is that I travel a lot for work, and while that airfare is usually paid by my employer, there are always some personal expenses in a lot of states and a few foreign countries every year, plus the business travel expenses (hotel, meals) that go on my corporate Amex (personal responsibility).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Troopers
My neighbor is a pro athlete in a major sport. Recently signed a 8 digit deal over a few years. Definitely does not spend as lavishly as what you might see on TMZ, and I doubt he spends $1M+ annually. He was invited for a Centurion.

ETA: He didn't request it.
A number of professional major sport athletes with the Centurion card are additional users on the Centurion accounts of others — such as on the accounts of sports agents, financial managers, a teammate, some other acquaintance, or some lifestyle assistants.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wtsuppr415
Also, 90% of my spend is from 3 individual vendors (think servers and online advertising)
you have not gone up the chain at amex? 'who' do you deal with?
can be unfortunate that amex is the only charge card, and they know it

should probably set up charitable foundation (up to to 50% of income)
some real estate is pretty secure as long as insured against damages.
and even if not things like stock (though some seem good value right now) can always look at majority stakes in businesses especially if any would 'merge' although i imagine many owners simply reinvest everything into business

possible best CDARS are only offered when part of a larger whole
tiaabank.com/banking/cdars
bankrate.com/financing/investing/cdars-protects-your-money-but-what-about-the-cd-rates/

some here do spend a ton on primary residence including manhattan rentals (while others spend literally exclusively on travel and dining and 'nothing' else)

coincidentally, today i was looking at real estate records for a multi billionaire who lives very modestly in terms of primary residence, they have so far bought two adjacent houses (and torn them down) to their single family home, which they have lived in for a very long time without making any substantial improvements (no tax assessment jump)

then i was looking at records for someone who made almost $100m on an asset sale, seems they had a house built that they now have on market for $10m

edit >

one possible thing would be to look at international dollar card , depending on how membership rewards program and benefits compare to american card

not sure where management of the international cards is based

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 9, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:27 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
one possible thing would be to look at international dollar card , depending on how membership rewards program and benefits compare to american card

not sure where management of the international cards is based
I’m a former IDC Centurion member. I would not recommend that card to anyone. It’s also not available to USA residents.

At its prime, the travel insurance policy was enough to justify to the $2800 annual fee. That insurance program is gone and the annual fee has increased again. The 100k bonus MR after $100k annual spend is also gone.

There is no purchase protection, charge dispute resolution is horrendious, there are no bonus MR categories, and there is a forex fee.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not available to USA answers that, thanks, seems many have cut from prime

btw to add to commentary in prior posts incl mine, US IRS added new way to defer taxes on capital gains (and a few other benefits) : "opportunity zones"
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
I’m a former IDC Centurion member. I would not recommend that card to anyone. It’s also not available to USA residents.

At its prime, the travel insurance policy was enough to justify to the $2800 annual fee. That insurance program is gone and the annual fee has increased again. The 100k bonus MR after $100k annual spend is also gone.

There is no purchase protection, charge dispute resolution is horrendious, there are no bonus MR categories, and there is a forex fee.
What a joke ! I will never keep a card that is chronically getting devalued to this extent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.