Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Centurion offer after 10m+ annual spend and $5m in Amex savings account?

No Centurion offer after 10m+ annual spend and $5m in Amex savings account?

Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wtsuppr415
I'll bite and reply to you and the other folks essentially saying it is only egotistical narcissists who would go for the card, as I think you are oversimplifying it way too much.

There are 3 reasons you would want the Centurion card: ego, the gold star effect, and value.

Ego
This is the obvious reason and also what draws a lot of the snide comments. People like to show off their bling, and they tie their self worth into what other people think of them. The card, especially the personal one plays right into this. I personally find it a bit gross, but I also realize that ALL people have an ego. In fact, to say you have no ego is perhaps the most egotistical thing you can say period, as it implies you have somehow transcended being human. So, I give that retort to the snide comment makers who are trying to make the implication that they are so above it all while simultaneously engaging with me in this thread. I will admit that my ego is involved here to the extent that I generally come across as so understated when people try to peacock me I get an involuntary smile by being able to send the message that "not all rich people are flashy douche bags like you."

Gold Star Effect
This is related to the above, but not exactly. If you have little kids, or just think back to elementary school, you understand how you can reward behavior through gamification. People like to win games. It doesn't matter if the prize is empty. It doesn't even necessarily matter if you get to share your trophy with the world. You might think this is a little kid phenomena, but we never out grow it. The awards you can win just become more "important" by whatever societal definition you go by. I recently watched a video of a pole vaulter winning a world record. The guy was so elated that he jumped higher than anyone else in the world. He won. But practically, the accomplishment was useless. How helpful is it to be able to jump high? He almost quite literally was jumping through hoops to win a prize. I am not saying this to diminish his accomplishment - we are all dead in the end, so by all means, make your own meaning in life. I don't say that snarkily. Getting a Centurion card is no different. For me, I started as a broke college student buying beer for parties on my credit card to earn points. It became a game. I realize it is a meaningless game, but still fun to play, and in some ways, this would be like winning a game for me. I also play stupid video games, and I need to beat them, even if I won't ever tell a soul about my achievement.

Value
It is not true that the card is overpriced if used properly. I am extremely confident I would get the fee paid back over many times. Just one simple example - the Centurion card AFAIK still has the 50% rebate on point travel for first/biz class tickets or any class on your designated airline. I spend at least 1-2 million points a year on travel. Platinum only has a 35% rebate. That means I will be getting back an extra 150-300k points over my Platinum card. That alone is worth far more than the fee. And I also use Delta quite a bit but not enough to maintain status, so the platinum status there also pays for it. I also bet they are more helpful on the item protection warranty than for Platinum holders. I just had an $1000 washing machine break, and I would have really liked to have a dedicated rep do the paperwork for me. So, the simple algebra does pencil out, especially for a cheap person like me.
Excellent post. Very well thought-out.

Not too surprising that you are this successful.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:07 pm

Amex is to large to fail and anyone worried about FDIC limits has no concept of how much power Amex has with our Government. Rules were waived for Amex to become a bank to get access to TARP. Specifically the waiting period required to become a bank. If the OP is real than Amex has succeeded in Aspiration marketing to the highest degree and deserves accolades.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Various
I'll bite and reply to you and the other folks essentially saying it is only egotistical narcissists who would go for the card, as I think you are oversimplifying it way too much.

There are 3 reasons you would want the Centurion card: ego, the gold star effect, and value.

Ego
This is the obvious reason and also what draws a lot of the snide comments. People like to show off their bling, and they tie their self worth into what other people think of them. The card, especially the personal one plays right into this. I personally find it a bit gross, but I also realize that ALL people have an ego. In fact, to say you have no ego is perhaps the most egotistical thing you can say period, as it implies you have somehow transcended being human. So, I give that retort to the snide comment makers who are trying to make the implication that they are so above it all while simultaneously engaging with me in this thread. I will admit that my ego is involved here to the extent that I generally come across as so understated when people try to peacock me I get an involuntary smile by being able to send the message that "not all rich people are flashy douche bags like you."

Gold Star Effect
This is related to the above, but not exactly. If you have little kids, or just think back to elementary school, you understand how you can reward behavior through gamification. People like to win games. It doesn't matter if the prize is empty. It doesn't even necessarily matter if you get to share your trophy with the world. You might think this is a little kid phenomena, but we never out grow it. The awards you can win just become more "important" by whatever societal definition you go by. I recently watched a video of a pole vaulter winning a world record. The guy was so elated that he jumped higher than anyone else in the world. He won. But practically, the accomplishment was useless. How helpful is it to be able to jump high? He almost quite literally was jumping through hoops to win a prize. I am not saying this to diminish his accomplishment - we are all dead in the end, so by all means, make your own meaning in life. I don't say that snarkily. Getting a Centurion card is no different. For me, I started as a broke college student buying beer for parties on my credit card to earn points. It became a game. I realize it is a meaningless game, but still fun to play, and in some ways, this would be like winning a game for me. I also play stupid video games, and I need to beat them, even if I won't ever tell a soul about my achievement.

Value
It is not true that the card is overpriced if used properly. I am extremely confident I would get the fee paid back over many times. Just one simple example - the Centurion card AFAIK still has the 50% rebate on point travel for first/biz class tickets or any class on your designated airline. I spend at least 1-2 million points a year on travel. Platinum only has a 35% rebate. That means I will be getting back an extra 150-300k points over my Platinum card. That alone is worth far more than the fee. And I also use Delta quite a bit but not enough to maintain status, so the platinum status there also pays for it. I also bet they are more helpful on the item protection warranty than for Platinum holders. I just had an $1000 washing machine break, and I would have really liked to have a dedicated rep do the paperwork for me. So, the simple algebra does pencil out, especially for a cheap person like me.
Love this - always laugh when people question value for something. Everyone values items differently - I know people have regularly scoffed at why anyone would pay $2500 for a credit/charge card, and then when they understand some of the benefits then they are more amenable. I don't use some of the benefits on my US Centurion Card, but the ones I do I can easily equate $2500+ of value per year. Likewise I'm able to justify the 2200GBP per year on my UK Centurion fee- there is some overlap of benefits like Hilton Diamond, but I still get the value across both cards. Now if you don't travel, then I can see why you may not get the value and on the flipside if you are a road-warrior with top tier status you may have diminished perceived value in the benefits.

As to the OP question of why no invite, can't speak for the business product, but for the personal product - it's going to be category of spend and ratios. If you're putting through $M's but a high ratio is business spend, then that will harm you. You'd be better diverting the business spend to your business product; and by business spend, I mean your high regular charges for whatever line of work you are in, unless it's travel and entertainment spend for you for business. Remember that they can see the details of the passenger for flights etc - so putting 10x $5k tickets that are all for you is great, 10x $5k flights for a conference which only one of is for you, not so great. They will be running the analytics on category of spend using the merchant identifiers they use to categorize spend. And it might sound silly, but use your card for everything you can (personal) - from a $2 coffee to a $10k first class ticket. I use my Centurion Cards everywhere, it is my primary payment method for everything from fast-food to fine-dining, car parking to airline tickets with hundreds of transactions per year.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Seems to me the answer to the OP is pretty simple: live a little. Being cheap isn't a virtue. Spend some of those 15million miles and take your wife on a trip! Everyone has pretty clearly demonstrated that Amex isn't looking for people who make 1mm a year running a paper factory, drive a Chevy Tahoe, and to whom a grandslam night out is a costco run followed by the seafood buffet at the nearby Red Lobster. (I actually know a guy like this - ran a paper factory that blew up ten-fold when he became one of Amazon's east coast suppliers for packaging paper). Anyways, I think you kind of answered your own question in your post, if you want the Centurion, live a little more - save a little less.
Exactly. Have Marquis Jet charges on your credit card not Costco.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does it have have good MR earnings for spending? Are there any bonus categories?

Platinum earns 5X on airfare (which I use with IAP). Is it true Centurion earns only 1X on everything?

If so I’ll stick with my Amex Plat & Gold, JPMR, Freedom & Freedom Unlimited and Citi Prestige.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
I'm right there with you. 14M in spend on my SPG Amex and still haven't gotten it. I've heard there is an element of fame for it now

Last edited by lincoln841; Nov 29, 2018 at 2:29 pm Reason: Identifyible information posted
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
Platinum earns 5X on airfare (which I use with IAP). Is it true Centurion earns only 1X on everything?
You get 1.5x points on all purchases over $5,000 up to 1M bonus points per year.

You also get a 50% statement credit for points redeemed for flights.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
You get 1.5x points on all purchases over $5,000 up to 1M bonus points per year.

You also get a 50% statement credit for points redeemed for flights.
only on the business centurion. Personal is 1x points. I make larger charges, air bookings and mileage redemptions against my business platinum.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Thanks for the insights. This was the type of reply I was hoping for. I'm actually not at all ruffled I don't have an offer...this is just fun speculation. Speaking of the various hidden variables, I wonder if I got bucketed into the "poor person" bucket early on with my first Amex card in college, and I am locked into some sort of track. Also, 90% of my spend is from 3 individual vendors (think servers and online advertising) which I bet could mess up the algorithms.

In any case, I have seen many threads that say there is some secret spend number that automatically unlocks an invite, and I think I am clear proof that isn't the case. Or, at a minimum, it is far higher than most people expect.
I invite you to search for my two or three posts on this forum about receiving a Centurion invitation without the levels of spending that some report here. In my case, it might be that I've been paying yearly fees on various Amex cards since early 1986, never (ever, not even once) been late, and when I did get an FR it was a very low key event with a positive outcome (I posted about that on the FR thread on this forum).

It was highly amusing to receive the invitation, but I didn't follow-up on it, as I wasn't interested.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
.... it might be that I've been paying yearly fees on various Amex cards since early 1986, never (ever, not even once) been late, and when I did get an FR ...
There's more to it than that, because I have been paying annual fees for a longer period, with no payment problems, no Financial Review, and no invitation. Not complaining, just reporting.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mia
There's more to it than that, because I have been paying annual fees for a longer period, with no payment problems, no Financial Review, and no invitation. Not complaining, just reporting.
Then I’ve no idea what triggered it. As I detailed on the posts I mentioned, my spend over the years has been pretty vanilla.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP -- I have an advice for you.

If you are serious about getting a Centurion Card, then contact AMEX CEO for that.

Still, if AMEX denies you, it gives you a perfect excuse to leave.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 747FC
OP: Why not plunk your assets with JP Morgan Private Bank and get a nice JPM Reserve Card? Much flashier than the Centurion. and you have great access to award travel through the Star Alliance network.
Not surer what you consider flashy but I'm just placing an educated guess that out of 100 people 99 won't know what the JPM Reserve Card is and just disregard it as a common CC (material is irrelevant, there are tons of metal cards out there by now).

On the other hand I bet that out of a 100 at least 40 know what a Black Amex is and associate it with wealth -> Flashy. No matter what you get the Centurion to make extra money off it and rape the benefits of the card, not to pay with it at In N Out and hope the associate notices what card you use. Most transactions nowadays are online or Apple Pay anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 747FC
OP: Why not plunk your assets with JP Morgan Private Bank and get a nice JPM Reserve Card? Much flashier than the Centurion. and you have great access to award travel through the Star Alliance network.
1. Just because OP has adequate balance to qualify for JPMorgan Private Bank, it does not mean it is a right bank for OP.

2. AMEX has access to *A airlines as well.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Not surer what you consider flashy but I'm just placing an educated guess that out of 100 people 99 won't know what the JPM Reserve Card is and just disregard it as a common CC (material is irrelevant, there are tons of metal cards out there by now).
On the bright side, though, the JPM card is a VISA and can be used for date night at Costco while the Amex Centurion isn't accepted there
skywalkerLAX and Minnie Sota like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.