Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Security restrictions affect transfers of MR points to ANA [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

So on 7/11 I transferred points from Amex MR to ANA from 3 different accounts. I am a primary card holder on one of the accounts and an authorized user on the other two accounts. On the transfer screen the name matches and everything so no concerns with that.

However, I just read from another post that ANA only accepts one inbound Amex points transfer. Is that still true?

Only points from one of the accounts has posted to 7/14. Guessing the other two transfers will get rejected? Also - if it does get rejected, should I leave 24 hours between each transfer?

So annoyed with MR to ANA transfers! Why can't it be instant like BA or Aeroplan?!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:12 am

Did your miles ever post from the multiple accounts? I’m planning to do the same soon and would like to know if it worked for you. Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:07 am

Yeah good luck with that. I tried moving points to Ana a few months back and it got rejected THREE straight times. Literally took me over 2 weeks to move the points because each failure took 3 days. I finally had to change the name on the Ana account to match EXACTLY what was on my amex account (it was even my account but there was a hyphen and a space that was causing rejection).

Years ago I sent points from my account and my wife account into 1 Ana with no issue but not anymore.

Not to mention, this process for my MR account frozen by AMEX because THEY tried to transfer them again for me after I called to inquire, and I then had to file a cfpb complaint to get them unfrozen. Apparently the attempted transfers made the system lock it up.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:32 pm

Unable to Transfer Points to ANA (MR account frozen)

Amex has done something very odd to my account--curious if anyone has heard of this. After being a platinum member 17 years and transferring points along with occasionally buying some, they put my account into a review for qualifying points transactions. I have 66K points that I need to transfer along with 14K I am buying and they are telling me that I can't transfer while they review the account status for 6-8 weeks. I had transferred 90K miles a few weeks ago to buy one ticket in biz on ANA and was planning to buy a second that came available by buying 14K miles to top up the 66K. Now, Amex is saying not only can I NOT transfer the 66 I have, I still have been charged for the 14,000 and can't transfer those either!! They were profusely apologizing saying I was caught up in some company sweep on illegitimate points. However, my spending patterns are exactly the same as always. A friend told me that they must be trying to terminate with ANA and blocking any and all transfers to ANA. But what right do they have to just capriciously block the transfer? Anyone have any ideas? Basically, my wife's parents are elderly and need to travel biz and so the holidays seem in doubt. They offered me a 500 dollar statement credit to make up for the whole debacle...it seems they could easily resolve the issue.

Last edited by mia; Nov 19, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

It is improbable that this has anything to do with ANA. Freezing the rewards account is standard process when their algorithm flags an account. The frontline customer service people do not know why your account was flagged, and I would not pay much attention to the specifics of what they tell you.

You will find many reports of similar actions in this thread:

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:52 pm

While I can see the reason to flag new accounts, my account has been active for 17 years! It strikes me they have some internal problem--maybe an earnings miss? Maybe they are ending ANA relationship. Any way you cut it, it doesn't seem a very stable way to get miles any longer....every one of the managers I spoke with was equally baffled as to what the heck was going on and equally powerless to fix it.....
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:04 pm
mia

Originally Posted by dooijp
....every one of the managers I spoke with was equally baffled as to what the heck was going on and equally powerless to fix it.....
That's correct, they do not know, and we cannot speak with the people who do know. It's not about ANA, when American Express ends a transfer partnership they announce it prominently.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:16 pm

Just seems pretty unfair that they block my rightful use of points for no apparent reason whatsoever. Leaving me to either pay 7500 for the same ticket or put my elderly father in law in coach...
and I can't very well cancel my account until I get my points out....
But if this is how they treat me after 17 years, it is a pretty big warning flag about how bad things may be getting for American Express
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:34 pm
mia

I agree, the process is much too slow, and inconsiderate.

If I had to guess, it may be that American Express's algorithm detected activity that is consistent with selling reward tickets. Even if you are not doing anything different than in past years, American Express may have changed their criteria and added capabilities.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
OP: Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday morning! I tried to transfer 10k points, having already transferred 53k to ANA a week or so earlier. I feel somewhat better knowing it's not only me, but I agree this random algorithm approach is unworthy of Amex. Hopefully they're reading this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Two MR Transfers to ANA at the same time... different results

I transferred 58k MR points from my sister's AMEX account to her ANA Mileage Club Account. Two seconds later, I transferred 30k of my MR points (where she is an authorized user) to her ANA Mileage Club Account.
About 30 hours later, her 58k points had transferred. At the 48-hour mark, the remaining 30k have still not shown up. What do you think the deal is with the delay? Is the hold up on ANA's side? Does AMEX take longer to transfer for authorized users?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Could be a bunch of things. Amex verifying info. ANA verifying info. FF information not exactly matching authorized user info so the transfer is being reviewed. ANA seeing two transfers to same account and verifying transfer was properly authorized.

Have you or your sister tried asking NH if they see a second transfer?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:36 pm

There have been reports on FT that ANA will reject simultaneous transfers from different accounts. I don’t remember the exact thread but if it doesn’t show up in a week, you may want to call Amex to cancel the second transfer and try it again. It’s better in the future to do a transfer, wait for the miles to post, then do the second transfer.
Diplomatico and Gasolin like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
I transferred 58k MR points from my sister's AMEX account to her ANA Mileage Club Account. Two seconds later, I transferred 30k of my MR points (where she is an authorized user) to her ANA Mileage Club Account.
About 30 hours later, her 58k points had transferred. At the 48-hour mark, the remaining 30k have still not shown up. What do you think the deal is with the delay? Is the hold up on ANA's side? Does AMEX take longer to transfer for authorized users?
I think it's on the ANA side.

Foggy memory but I'm relatively certain that ANA limits transfers to once every (fill in unspecified time limit)

Sorry I can't be more specific (or provide a relevant link) but I seem to recall reading this when I was making a transfer. You may want to ask this question in the ANA sub-forum.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:54 am
mia

Moderator action

I have merged in a similar report from earlier this year. Unfortunately we do not know the resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.