Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding which airline for 250 credit (based in Asia)

Old Nov 12, 18, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Hi all, hope this is the right thread.

I signed up for the Hilton Aspire and while I thought it would be fairly easy to use the 250 airline credit, I'm finding it more difficult to decide on than I originally thought and would like to see if anyone here has any good ideas.

So I'm based in Asia (Singapore) and I'd say the majority of my personal travel involves either travel within SE Asia or travel along the SIN-TYO-HNL route, and I would prefer to get GCs to use the credit on tickets instead of things I don't normally need like inflight services or Economy Plus.

From my research, I can only see Delta being the only viable option since I can actually book tickets out of SIN with them but I believe I am limited to 3 GCs per transaction and the usual max purchase to claim the credit is 50USD.

UA and Hawaiian don't do GCs and AA doesn't have any routes that I can book in my region.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 12, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Do you have any friends or family in the USA that can benefit from the DL or AA gift cards?
​​​​​​
goodtasting likes this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 2:21 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
I'm in a similar situation and decided to just buy GCs on an airline that serves U.S. domestic routes I would most likely need to fly during my next trip back.
goodtasting likes this.
Old Nov 13, 18, 9:56 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
For Delta, you have to buy the Giftcards in 50$ increments. Additionally, you have to purchase using the desktop site, not the mobile one. American Airlines GCs are more flexible, so if you can fly with them.....
goodtasting likes this.
Old Nov 13, 18, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the AA website it says:

"Note: Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® and oneworld® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S.,"

That sounds pretty limiting for someone based in Singapore unless they're book a one-way return from the US perhaps?

Meanwhile the Delta gift card FAQ says:

ARE GIFT CARDS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE INTERNATIONALLY? A US billing address is required for all gift card purchases on delta.com.
goodtasting likes this.
Old Nov 15, 18, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Sounds like there really aren't that many options indeed short of saving the cards for domestic travel (unfortunately I don't have much) or giving them away to family/friends.

Perhaps I could use budget airlines to get back home and then use an AA card to book a round trip from home and back.

No issues with the billing address since I have a US address I use for my US-based credit cards. I DID mess up the desktop site thing with Delta once though and now I have some extra GCs with them lol. Haven't had consistent access to a desktop computer in awhile
Old Nov 18, 18, 4:54 am

sell them online for 10-15% lower