Amex BUSINESS Gold relaunch Nov 2018 (USA)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 14, 19, 1:16 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: buylowsellhigh
Wiki Link
AMEX Business Gold (rebranded):
  • $295 annual fee, not waived first year
  • Card will earn 4x points on the two categories your business spends the most each billing cycle, from the following list (up to $150,000 in combined purchases each calendar year):
    • Airfare purchased directly from airlines
    • U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
    • U.S. purchases at gas stations
    • U.S. purchases for shipping
    • U.S. purchases at restaurants (new)
    • U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers
  • 25% points back after you book a flight with pay with points
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...g-for-flights/

Public Offer (weak): Get up to 1 year free of G Suite Basic for 3 users and up to 1 year of ZipRecruiter Standard
Referral Offer: Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 within 3 months (no link, use referral thread)

Confirmed 4x Vendors:
  • Amazon Product Ads (4/14/2019)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 29, 18, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by rover4618 View Post
How do you check to see if you have a retention offer ?
Read the wiki:

American Express retention offers.
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Silver
Can one be approved for the new Business Gold card while still holding the old BGR?
Old Mar 2, 19, 3:27 am

Programs: IML Gold, SPG100, Starbucks Gold
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but is there a WIKI that helps us to know if certain merchants will be able to fall into the "Bonus" spend categories?

Considering to pull the trigger on this card but knowing the $295 AF up front, its hard to know whether certain charges will qualify.
Old Mar 2, 19, 3:43 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Have you already looked at the list published by American Express?

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r.../business.html
Old Mar 2, 19, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Have you already looked at the list published by American Express?

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r.../business.html
Yes - definitely have. And Asked Amex rep too. They said based on the name, it *should*. But based on the category, its uncertain. I put some ads on Amazon, the charges post as "AMAZON PRODUCT ADS" but the category stated "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase"

As always, merchants game their category to manipulate the discount fee... I've had shipping vendors with "USPS Postage" contained in the name and it gets classified as "Employment Agencies" . Amex rep says the discount fee is lower on employment agencies and there's not much enforcement

Anyways I went ahead and bit the bullet by upgrading legacy Gold into Business Gold. 4x MR points (up to 150k a year) for $295 annual fee is too hard to pass up . I'll run it a few months and can contribute some data points (just like Ultimate Rewards) if the data is useful.
Old Apr 8, 19, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh View Post
Yes - definitely have. And Asked Amex rep too. They said based on the name, it *should*. But based on the category, its uncertain. I put some ads on Amazon, the charges post as "AMAZON PRODUCT ADS" but the category stated "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase"

As always, merchants game their category to manipulate the discount fee... I've had shipping vendors with "USPS Postage" contained in the name and it gets classified as "Employment Agencies" . Amex rep says the discount fee is lower on employment agencies and there's not much enforcement

Anyways I went ahead and bit the bullet by upgrading legacy Gold into Business Gold. 4x MR points (up to 150k a year) for $295 annual fee is too hard to pass up . I'll run it a few months and can contribute some data points (just like Ultimate Rewards) if the data is useful.
Did this Amazon Ad transaction count as 4x? Do you see the extra points in your pending points section?

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 19, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by horse9118 View Post
Did this Amazon Ad transaction count as 4x? Do you see the extra points in your pending points section?

Thanks
Has anybody here actually gotten the 4x points on the categories? With the old BRG you can tell on the transaction page what transaction is earning extra points. Can't tell with this new card until the actual points posts 2 months later since you earn on the highest 2 categories.
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:08 pm

Hey sorry I missed your last message. I upgraded the card but it wasn't until the statement close did it fully transition. My first billing statement under business gold will close later this week so I imagine the moment of truth will be coming soon 😱

Unless you know of a way to check bonus before the billing period is over?
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:14 pm

Update: 99% Sure that Amazon Product Ads qualifies for 4x points. (posts as SPONSORED PR*AMZN.COM/BILL WA, categorized as SERVICE)

Switched from legacy business gold to the new Business Gold in early March. The card officially converted over in middle of March when the billing cycle ended. The first billing statement as the new Business Gold card cycled Mid Apr (this weekend). I can't see the line by line bonus detail yet (apparently i can only see the March billing statement) but by doing a quick armchair calculation, it does appear that Amazon Product Ads post as 4x spend.

More than 50% of my monthly spend is one single vendor (Amazon Product Ads) with the rest being scattered in different categories. So, based on the "pending" points compared with line item detail, it does give me confidence that, at least for now, there is a bonus for Amazon. I'll add the data point to the wiki but meanwhile does anyone know the best way to get duplicate Business Gold cards? I'll hit the $150k threshold within a few months

Edit: Below is bonus detail on legacy business gold card, and since amazon shows as 2x, i'm almost positive it will show as 4x on the new business gold.

Billing Statement with Legacy Business Card

Last edited by buylowsellhigh; Apr 14, 19 at 9:22 pm
Old May 14, 19, 9:26 am

Well, my points from first statement finally posted. None of the bonus categories (food, gas) earned any bonus points. Has anyone actually gotten additional points from the bonus categories?

Thanks
Old May 14, 19, 9:29 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Same problem as here?

Bonus Points not posting on Amex Business Gold
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:07 pm

Anybody ever had a cold-call from a CSR asking about this card and your business? AMEX called me out of the blue and wanted to talk about my business. I quickly got them off the phone as I didn't really have time to talk. Is this just a general survey of their business customers or something else? I haven't really put any spend on the Business Gold card in awhile (but have used it for self-referrals)....wonder if they want to shut me down..

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:15 pm
mia

Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Anybody ever had a cold-call from a CSR asking about this card and your business?
Yes. Sometimes it's just a sales pep talk. They just want to encourage you to use the card more, order cards for employees, remind you of the benefits etc.

Other times it is to collect information, such as:

Phone call from Amex asking if my business transmits money
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Yes. Sometimes it's just a sales pep talk. They just want to encourage you to use the card more, order cards for employees, remind you of the benefits etc.

Other times it is to collect information, such as:

Phone call from Amex asking if my business transmits money
oh wow...interesting. Thanks for the heads up
Old Jun 8, 19, 12:27 am

For AMEX once in a lifetime (seven years) rule, is this considered a separate product from the “old” business gold premier?

Given the annual fee is tax deductible and offsets my G suite of $25/month this looks to be a easy 50,000 point signup bonus, with the bonus of the category spends.

Last edited by schistosomiasis; Jun 8, 19 at 7:54 am