New Gold Card Metal vs Platinum Card Metal

Old Nov 6, 18, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

New Gold Card Metal vs Platinum Card Metal

Has anyone else noticed the new Gold Card is more similar in design to the Chase metal cards where it is sandwiched with plastic, versus the Platinum which is solid metal? I really hope they don't change the Platinum to this design.
Old Nov 6, 18, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by MrMosby View Post
Has anyone else noticed the new Gold Card is more similar in design to the Chase metal cards where it is sandwiched with plastic, versus the Platinum which is solid metal? I really hope they don't change the Platinum to this design.
It might also have something to do with the gold metal cards supporting contactless payments, not just "going cheap" on the card...
Old Nov 6, 18, 1:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Not sure if your statements are accurate.

1. The AmEx Plat is not solid metal. The only solid metal card I know of is the Chase Ritz Carlton card. It has been discontinued.
2. The AmEx Rose Gold card is made the same way the metal AmEx Plat is made. I do not have the Yellow Gold metal card, so I can't compare
3. The Chase CSR card is sandwiched. My original card has peeled and I had it replaced. Its quality is inferior to some of the other Chase metal cards, including Marriott cards.
Old Nov 6, 18, 1:14 pm

Programs: Various
AmEx Centurions are solid metal (Titanium)
Old Nov 6, 18, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

If my platinum is not solid metal, it sure fooled me - big difference. Looking closer it looks like the platinum is metal and a clear sheet of plastic over the back, and it looks like the gold card is three layers, a thinner piece of metal, a clear plastic layer, and then a colored plastic layer.
Old Nov 6, 18, 2:39 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
The metal Gold card is the same construction as the contactless version of the metal Platinum card.
Old Nov 6, 18, 2:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
It might also have something to do with the gold metal cards supporting contactless payments, not just "going cheap" on the card...
This is exactly it. I had a contactless Plat before I PC'd it and it's the same construction/weight as the new Gold card.

oof. mia beat me to it by 2 minutes.
Old Nov 6, 18, 4:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
FTers - tackling the vital issues of the day.
krazykanuck, lax01 and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Nov 6, 18, 5:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
If you guys are interested in the metal cards in general, take a look here.

Metal Composite Card | Metal Gravure Card | Metal Cards | CompoSecure

itll explain the different types.
mia likes this.
Old Nov 6, 18, 6:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

If my platinum is not solid metal, it sure fooled me - big difference. Looking closer it looks like the platinum is metal and a clear sheet of plastic over the back, and it looks like the gold card is three layers, a thinner piece of metal, a clear plastic layer, and then a colored plastic layer.
I have the Yellow Gold cards coming and I'll be curious to see the difference of Yellow Gold vs Rose Gold cards. I get two Plat metal cards (not contactless) and the Rose Gold. Can't tell the difference.

They are not real metal cards. They do not make metal sounds as the Ritz card does. Also, pure metal cards are easy to bend.... The well constructed Chase cards, such as new Marriott cards are in similar quality as the Plat card. Only the CSR cards are poorly made.
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
FTers - tackling the vital issues of the day.
Aside from the occasional same day IRROPS thread, all of Flyertalk is inane. No need to pooh-pooh on the thread about the metal cards
Old Nov 7, 18, 5:43 pm

I can confirm that the Platinum isn't solid. Long story short, was stuck in a stairway and couldn't enter through the door because I forgot my sensor key. I asked my buddy for his Platinum card to attempt to break through the door, didn't work, screwed up the edge of the card which ending up exposing the layering. I did not volunteer my Centurion card for this attempt but that is definitely solid metal. Though looking back at it, probably wouldn't have gotten us through the door either. lol

Search this Thread