Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Use Delta Platinum companion ticket with ticket purchased by MR Pay with Points?

Use Delta Platinum companion ticket with ticket purchased by MR Pay with Points?

Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold

Can I use a companion ticket for a flight that is booked with MR points with AMEX business platinum? Sorry if this has discussed elsewhere I searched but I could not find anything
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We will need to know more about the companion ticket. Is this a benefit offered by American Express, or a specific airline? Are the terms of the companion ticket posted online for you to link?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:08 am

I would guess in the airline's system, it would show the same as having paid in cash (credit card, whatever). So if the answer to your question is yes for paying for a ticket in cash, probably. If the answer is you need to pay with that airline's co-branded credit card, then no. That's the best I can say without knowing any more than you're shared.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
We will need to know more about the companion ticket. Is this a benefit offered by American Express, or a specific airline? Are the terms of the companion ticket posted online for you to link?
It is the one offered by the Amex Platinum card. Domestic,Economy, etc.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:25 am
mia

Sorry, I do not recognize the reference to any current American Express Platinum (USA) benefit. There was such a benefit about a decade ago, but it ended. Is it part of this benefit?

The Travel Collection
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Sorry, I do not recognize the reference to any current American Express Platinum (USA) benefit. There was such a benefit about a decade ago, but it ended. Is it part of this benefit?

The Travel Collection
No, I mean the current Delta Platinum cards being issued by Amex. Sorry, I was unclear in my first post.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:57 am
mia

Thank you for the clarification. I have edited the thread Title to reflect my understanding of the question. Let me know if I have it wrong.

When you use Membership Rewards to Pay with Points the full cost of the ticket is charged to your card, and points are redeemed in a separate transaction to offset the charge. Delta should see it as a regular revenue ticket, but one booked through a travel agency. Do the terms of the Companion Certificate require booking the entire transaction directly with Delta?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:25 am

It seems like the answer is No as you need to go through Delta to use the companion certificate:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:22 am

You have to start the companion booking through your wallet online. There the companion ticket is identified and tied to your booking. There's no option to redeem miles only to pay in the usual manner (including gift cards) As an aside I've found this to be a fairly useless benefit. I have never been able to find a schedule in F that works ideally for me and when I do I find the combined cost (because you do pay tax on the companion) doesn't offer very much saving at all. My son who has the Y companion benefit has found the same thing. Many times it's cheaper to buy 2 coach tickets than to use the companion.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm understanding this, yes, I do this every time.

I book through Delta, with the companion cert, using my Business Amex for payment.

Then, after the charge posts, I call Amex and reimburse the flight charges with points at 1.5c/point (since Delta is my chosen airline).

It's a great benefit for me.

Am I not understanding the question correctly?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

I guess you're right

Originally Posted by halamadrid
It seems like the answer is No as you need to go through Delta to use the companion certificate:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html
I called the number at the bottom of the link. I was told that:

Both flights have to be booked at the same time through Delta only, no outside agencies,including Amex.
You have to pay for everything with the Amex card associated with the certificate.
You can not use any gift cards to book these flights.

This seems to contradict a lot of stuff that is scattered around the FT site about this benefit. I guess I will just try to use them as directed by the agent I spoke with. Of course, this is impossible since I cancelled the card I got the companion pass with a couple of months ago!
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebat
I called the number at the bottom of the link. I was told that:

Both flights have to be booked at the same time through Delta only, no outside agencies,including Amex.
You have to pay for everything with the Amex card associated with the certificate.
You can not use any gift cards to book these flights.

This seems to contradict a lot of stuff that is scattered around the FT site about this benefit. I guess I will just try to use them as directed by the agent I spoke with. Of course, this is impossible since I cancelled the card I got the companion pass with a couple of months ago!
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.
The portion I bolded is definitely NOT true.

You do have to pay with some Amex, however.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
If I'm understanding this, yes, I do this every time.

I book through Delta, with the companion cert, using my Business Amex for payment.

OK,this might be a case where it depends on the agent you get. If he/she refuses HUCA?

Then, after the charge posts, I call Amex and reimburse the flight charges with points at 1.5c/point (since Delta is my chosen airline).
So, you get 1.5 paying your bill with MR? I must say I have never heard of this.

Am I not understanding the question correctly?
Yes, I think you are. But your experience contradicts what the DL agent told me.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I never book these by phone. I book them online. No HUCA needed.

35% Airline Bonus‡Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of an eligible fare and get 35% of those points back, up to 500,000 points back per calendar year.*

*Eligible fares include First and Business Class tickets with all airlines available through American Express Travel, as well as any fare class with your selected qualifying airline.
That's from here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rdArt-Platinum

I guess I skipped a step there: you redeem for points at 1 to 1 cent, but then get 35% of those back, in a month. That technically puts the per point value at 1.54.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:49 pm
mia

Originally Posted by josephstern

I guess I skipped a step there: you redeem for points at 1 to 1 cent, but then get 35% of those back, in a month. ....
The published terms of the 35% refund also require purchasing the ticket through American Express Travel. What do you say when you call to Pay with Points for a ticket that you purchased at delta.com ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.