Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's With Forcing People to Have Metal Cards?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I do think they still should have better raised numbers. Particularly when renting cars in some more isolated parts they have those old-fashioned card "readers" which take an imprint of the card. The low profile numbers on the amex (and CSR) always seem to cause issues...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by Rukes
As for “no metal cards” in the parking garage, that makes no sense. Where is the sign mounted? Sounds like they are just saying not to use metal cards ON card scanners, as i’m assuming when they scan metal cards it messes if up, but that’s about it. Just telling people not to be stupid and scan any metal card by accident.
Twice I've had mine eaten by the parking payment machine, once when I was in a total rush and by some miracle, the hotel security happened to be nearby and actually had keys. Now I'm so gun-shy about using the metal card in anything I have to insert, I go to my Chase BA, which is still plastic at this point.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:32 am

Finally the industry is catching up with those of us that have always hated the metal card fad
https://thepointsguy.com/news/no-mor...-credit-cards/
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
....the industry is catching up....
I don't see this in the article.
Need likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:22 am

I should have said the blogging industry. Once upon a time they couldn't get enough of shiny metal cards.
mia and notquiteaff like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I should have said the blogging industry. Once upon a time they couldn't get enough of shiny metal cards.
I saw that article a few days ago but some of the reasoning around acceptance seemed questionable. Some of the quotes that stood out include:

It’s not too hard to find an automatic parking machine that specifically says “no metal cards” on it, and in some cases, the card physically won’t fit into the slot.

I haven't run into one of those domestically in quite a while, though I'm sure YMMV.

Not only that … is there a reason why issuers are so quick to make these cards out of metal yet can’t enable chip-and-PIN capabilities? You know, the authentication method used by most countries around the world? This is yet another barrier to actually using the card when traveling abroad.
American banks decided from the start that they were never going to do that. Metal cards never played into that decision AFAIK.

Also, contactless payment is the standard overseas now, not inserting--which metal cards have no issue supporting. For instance, the CSP/CSR has had support for tapping for a bit. Granted, you can only tap the back of the card (unlike with plastic cards), but still.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:59 am

This shouldn't be an issue for the Platinum because if you're using it for anything other than flights and certain large purchases, you're doing it wrong.
bigbuy, notquiteaff, ck8 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:40 pm

There is no going back now. Can you imagine a premium credit card coming out and it is plastic? For every one person who goes "Yes! Finally a plastic credit card.." you will have 9 people going "...?" I just read on the other thread that the Bank of America Premium Reward's new metal card version is not metal enough.... it is like CSP and CSR, metal core wrapped in plastic.

I like the metal cards. I think all the years since I have metal cards, I only encountered once that I can't slide the card thru the slot to read the strip. That was years ago when chip or wireless were not used yet. I don't even remember the last time I have use to the chip... it is all wireless now. Pretty much the only time I have to hand the card over is at the restaurants for dine in which is not happening much these days. Most of the normal shopping is done online. No one gets to see my metal or plastic cards.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:53 pm

I honestly don't think people care. CSR have it about right, I barely notice that one is metal. The Amex Plat is just downright obnoxious! I never liked how much attention it drew from cashiers.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:55 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Need
Can you imagine a premium credit card coming out and it is plastic?
The Hilton Aspire ($450 AF) is plastic! The United Quest ($250 AF) is also plastic! The Bonvoy Business ($125 AF) is made out of this weird cardboard material that feels like it will be damaged permanently if it touches even a small amount of water.

But you’re totally right overall. Another benefit for churners focusing on 2-3 cards at a time!
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:49 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Need
Can you imagine a premium credit card coming out and it is plastic?
Reclaimed and recycled ocean plastic?
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by dayone
Reclaimed and recycled ocean plastic?
Cruelty-free plastic!

In all seriousness, I would prefer to use whatever creates the least waste but I won't be losing any sleep over it. As to the topic at hand, I still get a chuckle whenever a clerk mentions something about a card (but this is less frequent both due to their ubiquity and the slow but sure death of actually handing over a card). Metal cards can also be a conversation starter with friends... and I will never miss an opportunity to yammer on and on about credit cards!

Edit: WasKnown I have the legacy-SPG Bonvoy card ($95 AF) and it has that odd papery feel, too!
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by m907
This shouldn't be an issue for the Platinum because if you're using it for anything other than flights and certain large purchases, you're doing it wrong.
We use the Amex Platinum for all of our spend, including all day-to-day stuff and recurrent charges (utilities, subscriptions, etc). I have no complaints.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by TravelForum
We use the Amex Platinum for all of our spend, including all day-to-day stuff and recurrent charges (utilities, subscriptions, etc). I have no complaints.
The possible shortcoming with your plan is that you are not maximizing your potential MR return. For instance, if you used your Platinum Card to buy groceries then you would get 1x MR on that purchase whereas you could get 4x MR on that same purchase with a Gold Card. Generally speaking, it only makes sense to put spend on the Platinum Card if you are booking airfare or travel through the Amex Portal. It also may make sense if (1) you have an expensive purchase that you want covered by Purchase Protection or Extended Warranty, (2) you have a specific Offer on your Platinum Card, or (3) you really want to hit the $75k spend threshold to unlock better Centurion Lounge Guest Access when that policy goes into effect.

Categories that aren't generally captured by cards (such as utilities or subscriptions) are fine to put on your Platinum Card unless you really wanted to split hairs. If you have no issue with a potential grey area (possibly considered abuse/gaming) you can use a Blue Business Plus Card to get 2x MR on all spend (up to $50k per year).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by TravelForum
Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
The possible shortcoming with your plan is that you are not maximizing your potential MR return. For instance, if you used your Platinum Card to buy groceries then you would get 1x MR on that purchase whereas you could get 4x MR on that same purchase with a Gold Card. Generally speaking, it only makes sense to put spend on the Platinum Card if you are booking airfare or travel through the Amex Portal. It also may make sense if (1) you have an expensive purchase that you want covered by Purchase Protection or Extended Warranty, (2) you have a specific Offer on your Platinum Card, or (3) you really want to hit the $75k spend threshold to unlock better Centurion Lounge Guest Access when that policy goes into effect.

Categories that aren't generally captured by cards (such as utilities or subscriptions) are fine to put on your Platinum Card unless you really wanted to split hairs. If you have no issue with a potential grey area (possibly considered abuse/gaming) you can use a Blue Business Plus Card to get 2x MR on all spend (up to $50k per year).
I wonder what percent of spending on cards like Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, etc is in nonbonus categories. 90% or more? 95%?

Clearly Amex Platinum must see a ton of non-airfare spend. Personally I use Amex Platinum for whatever I want an extended warranty or purchase protection for, Amex offer charges, stuff like phone bills (for insurance) and Equinox (credits), FHR, etc. Heck I barely even use Amex Platinum for airfare these days (I use Delta Reserve to book most flights).

Many of the most intelligent people I know use cards like Amex Platinum and CSR for all spend. Remember what we do is a hobby

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.