Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who else has the Platinum, Gold, AND CSR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by RedSun
Totally agreed. We all get our own life styles and different point valuation. In economics, this is called Utility Function. F=F(x1,x2,x3... Xn). There are many variables. We certainly respect each one's economic valuation.

With family members, we keep like 50 to 60 credit cards. I pay more than $3,000/year AFs alone. We are happy to pay that since we get positive returns from all the cards we keep. Chase CSR is one of them and it anchors our UR system.

When I book any air or hotel, I have several weapons I can pull. AmEx MR for airfare, hotel points for hotel. Then Chase UR and its travel portal is always there if we need it.

If I get $1,000 out of the system, I'll be happy to pay a $68 cost. It makes me happy.
I’m not convinced you have a good understanding of what you are earning, what you are redeeming, and the value you are creating vs the amount you are spending on annual fees. None of what you’ve written above in your several posts shows that you understand what has been very clearly laid out to you.

How much is your annual CC spend and how is it split up amongst your cards?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jags86
I’m not convinced you have a good understanding of what you are earning, what you are redeeming, and the value you are creating vs the amount you are spending on annual fees. None of what you’ve written above in your several posts shows that you understand what has been very clearly laid out to you.

How much is your annual CC spend and how is it split up amongst your cards?
You can continue your number calculation. I'm no part of your calculation. I do not count nickle and dine. $68 is really nothing to me. I get much more than that with the CSR you try to rid of. Good luck with you, my friend.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A few posts have been removed or edited.

PLEASE: write about American Express or Chase products, policies and practices, but not about each other.

PLEASE: make your point only once. Repetition doesn't benefit anyone. It's not that others did not understand your position. They genuinely disagree. Accept this, even if you think they are making a grievous error.

Last edited by mia; Oct 24, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by Super Mario
No disrespect intended. However, with all of the AFs you pay, I wonder what quantifiable benefits are you receiving, vs it being a status symbol or perceived benefit. We can debate it back and forth all day with some fact, and some subjectivity. The amount of overlap seems pretty high. I wonder if I removed 5, maybe even 10 cards from your portfolio, what you would really miss out on.

But this is the greatness of it all. Everyone has a different profile and there is a card for everyone. Assigned valuations have become too much of convoluted topic IMO. To me, who mainly travels domestically, I use my UR for cruises with a lowly 1.5 cent valuation. A cruise is a big expense that I have no other way of eliminating its charge. Hotels are paid for by Hilton or IHG points from work travel unless it is cheap enough to just buy. The wild card for me is flights. I can't get over spending more than I need to there, no matter how "good of a deal" it is. $200 coach works. My upcoming trip has a roughly $2000 price tag, paid in points, with plenty of points left over, and a $200 flight out of pocket. Minimal out-of-pocket expenses for frequent trips that interest me is my best valuation.
It would really depend on your spending pattern. My personal Amex plat only gives me around 100k credit line (yes, it does exist), but they let me put more than 250k on the biz plat, so when I need to purchase something in the range of 100k to 250k at one time, it surely would be a lot easier for me to just use the Amex biz plat. The cent has great insurance features and great rates on Hertz, and it comes with various Hotel/Airline elite status. JPMR is same as CSR, 3x on travel and dining, plus the comp United Club, very useful. Citi Thank you series work really good for Citigold, the AA Executive gives me and my guests both the Admiral Club and AS Boardroom access when travel domestically, and at some international airports. The airline affinity cards give me the flexibility to keep my miles valid without worrying if I have activity in the past 18-24 months, I sometimes have miles close to a million in some FFPs. The hotel cards are easy, they either earn me status nights or give out free nights that are well worth the AF.

In my case, the AFs paid are well worth the benefits I get in return, and if I have to choose between "paying more AFs" and "being inconveninced", I'd always go for paying more AFs.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I am debating if I need the CSR. If I downgrade the CSR to a Freedom, I could upgrade it if I needed to use the 1.5x platform.

I just picked up the Platinum business. This is in addition to my CSR, CIP and Hilton Aspire. In the long term, I think the CIP and the Aspire card will work well for me. I should pick up a card covering international restaurants.

PS I suspect that the Marriott gold status derived from the Platinum is not worth much even in Asia.

PPS The gold card has limited value to me. Most of my spend is overseas. The gold card bonuses are limited to the USA.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
No. I choose not to redeem points that are worth $0.02+ for $0.015. I am not ignoring that option, I am explicitly choosing not to use it. If I need to buy a $1,000 ticket I use money, and save the points to use when I need to buy a $4,000 ticket.
Sorry if someone already brought this up... but CSR UR redeemed for travel are typically worth more than 1.5cpp. For example, redeeming 33.3k UR for a $500 plane ticket may also get you ~5k flier miles as well (depending on airline, seat, and elite status of course). From there we can do our own math depending on how we value the miles.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
I am debating if I need the CSR. If I downgrade the CSR to a Freedom, I could upgrade it if I needed to use the 1.5x platform.

I just picked up the Platinum business. This is in addition to my CSR, CIP and Hilton Aspire. In the long term, I think the CIP and the Aspire card will work well for me. I should pick up a card covering international restaurants.

PS I suspect that the Marriott gold status derived from the Platinum is not worth much even in Asia.

PPS The gold card has limited value to me. Most of my spend is overseas. The gold card bonuses are limited to the USA.
Marriott gold status can be useful for sharing points for free.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by 808traveler
Sorry if someone already brought this up... but CSR UR redeemed for travel are typically worth more than 1.5cpp. For example, redeeming 33.3k UR for a $500 plane ticket may also get you ~5k flier miles as well (depending on airline, seat, and elite status of course). From there we can do our own math depending on how we value the miles.
I don't know, man. I guess we all value points differently.

I don't care about flying premium cabin which is how most people value those points very high. I just want to travel the world... if 120,000 gets me either flying first class (hypothetically) or 2 round trips tickets to Europe on Economy, I'd choose the latter.

Now, having said that, Mia brilliantly suggested to me in another post to look for those underserved or smaller airports. I save my points for this. I have friends in Seville and flights over there are usually cost $1,300-$1,400 (sometimes $900 during low season) and 60,000 points RT on United sounds good to me.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:33 am
mia

Originally Posted by 808traveler
....UR redeemed for travel are typically worth more than 1.5cpp. For example, redeeming 33.3k UR for a $500 plane ticket may also get you ~5k flier miles.....
By that standard money would also be worth more than face value. When you buy a revenue ticket, with money or with points, you are purchasing both transportation and reward credits toward future travel. That doesn't change the value of the currency used to make the purchase.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by mia
By that standard money would also be worth more than face value. When you buy a revenue ticket, with money or with points, you are purchasing both transportation and reward credits toward future travel. That doesn't change the value of the currency used to make the purchase.
One can use their money wisely and get more value out of it, or use it poorly and get less. Yes that doesn't change the "face value" of what they spent. But its obvious that one can stretch their dollar further and get more value out of it. For example one can go shopping and blow their $500 on the first X thing they see, or they can shop around for the best deal and get some more value by getting Y and Z in addition to X for that same $500. Who got more value out of that $500 "face value"?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mia
Usually I agree with you, mia, but in this case you’re arguing semantics and the other poster is arguing reality. We come up with all goofy ways to value points. If you have the option of transferring 60,000 UR points to United to redeem for a $900 flight or using 60,000 UR points to purchase a $900 flight, then the obvious better way is to use the points to purchase the flight. Both get you $0.015 in redemption value but one will get you a few thousand United miles. This is why it rarely makes sense to transfer UR to Southwest or JetBlue unless you’re just topping off because those points are usually worth around $0.015/each.

Look at it similarly to the Business Platinum 35% rebate. Your MR are only “worth” 1cpp, as you need 100MR per $1 to make the redemption but you are getting 35 MR back for every 100 you spend. When making this type of redemption we say you’re getting $0.0154 value per MR point.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:14 am
mia

Originally Posted by jags86
.... Both get you $0.015 in redemption value..
Neither redemption is worth $0.015/point.

If I redeem 60,000 points for a $900 revenue ticket the value appears to $0.015/point, but it is less because I gave up the 4,500 points I would have earned buying a $900 ticket with American Express Platinum. I really redeemed 64,500 points, and the value is $0.01395.

If I transfer 60,000 points to a frequent flyer program and redeem for an award ticket the redemption value is also less than $0.015 because I need to make a similar adjustment for the points/miles I could have earned by paying -and- flying. This calculation is more complicated because it depends on my elite status with the airline, but it will be less than $0.01395. However, an award ticket is often more flexible than a revenue ticket because the cost to cancel it is low.

In any event, I would not redeem points or miles for a $900 ticket. I would use money.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Neither redemption is worth $0.015/point.

If I redeem 60,000 points for a $900 revenue ticket the value appears to $0.015/point, but it is less because I gave up the 4,500 points I would have earned buying a $900 ticket with American Express Platinum. I really redeemed 64,500 points, and the value is $0.01395.

If I transfer 60,000 points to a frequent flyer program and redeem for an award ticket the redemption value is also less than $0.015 because I need to make a similar adjustment for the points/miles I could have earned by paying -and- flying. This calculation is more complicated because it depends on my elite status with the airline, but it will be less than $0.01395. However, an award ticket is often more flexible than a revenue ticket because the cost to cancel it is low.

In any event, I would not redeem points or miles for a $900 ticket. I would use money.
If you get a family of 6, you would rather keep your points intact and open your wallet for $5,400 just for airfare alone? Just because you can't get to 1.5 CPP?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by RedSun
....Just because you can't get to 1.5 CPP?
It's an intriguing thought experiment to imagine a life in which we had four children, but that's not how my decision making process works. I do not think, "I need to redeem for $0.02+ per point," nor do I think, "I want to achieve the maximum value per point." Instead, I know that we will fly between Miami - London a certain number of times each year, I know what those tickets typically cost, and how to reduce the cost by using rewards. I do not redeem points for less because I know I will be able to use them for that purpose.

Last edited by mia; Oct 29, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
It's an intriguing thought experiment to imagine a life in which we had four children, but that's not how my decision making process works. I do not think, "I need to redeem for $0.02+ per point," nor do I think, "I want to achieve the maximum value per point." Instead, I know that we will fly between Miami - London a certain number of times each year, I know what those tickets typically cost, and how to reduce the cost by using rewards. I do not redeem points for less because I know I will be able to use them for that purpose.
Certainly it can be a easier decision to make if you redeem 100,000 points for a $3,000 ticket since you get 3 CPP. But for the same route (different airline), you may be able to use 80,000 points for a $1,200 ticket at 1.5 CPP. So you still prefer to use 100,000 points and chase the 3 CPP point value?

If your logic works, you'll be paying for the $1,200 ticket out of pocket and leave your points stacked at AmEx? Just because it is just 1.5 CPP? This is very common overseas travel airfare. It can easily add up for a large family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.