FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   PERFECT CREDIT - AMEX Cancelled??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1934097-perfect-credit-amex-cancelled.html)

kickedoffamex Oct 5, 2018 12:58 pm

PERFECT CREDIT - AMEX Cancelled???

I have been a AMEX customer for 25 years and have used autopay since it started. and therefore have never missed a payment. We currently have over $300,000 points. We have a credit score of 800. Today, AMEX cancelled my card and indicated their policy is not to tell us why. I am in shock. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

mia Oct 5, 2018 1:06 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

American Express will send you a letter, and it will include a reason, although it will probably not be very satisfying because it will be something bland and generic.

Are the accounts personal, Business or Corporate?

Steve M Oct 5, 2018 1:07 pm

What would your best guess be as to their actual reason?

kickedoffamex Oct 5, 2018 1:10 pm

No clue. I am at a total loss. We've had these personal cards for 25 years, paid 100% autopay ontime and perfect credit scores.

mia Oct 5, 2018 1:22 pm

There is an article HERE describing a shutdown by another issuer, apparently based on reputational concerns.

If nothing like that seems to apply, is your spending large compared to your verifiable income? Did American Express request any financial information that you declined to provide?

kickedoffamex Oct 5, 2018 1:29 pm

I am COO of a $1 Billion company and leader at my church. I haven't even hast a speeding ticket n the past 10 years. My last several annual earnings are 100X what I spent monthly.

philemer Oct 5, 2018 1:33 pm

What happens to MR pts when a card is canceled?

guv1976 Oct 5, 2018 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by kickedoffamex (Post 30283099)
I am COO of a $1 Billion company and leader at my church. I haven't even hast a speeding ticket n the past 10 years. My last several annual earnings are 100X what I spent monthly.

Have you checked your credit reports lately?

mia Oct 5, 2018 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 30283114)
What happens to MR pts when a card is canceled?

I see this has been revised since last I looked:

If we cancel your Linked Card Account for any of the following reasons, you’ll forfeit all points in your program account except as noted:

If we cancel your Linked Card Account due to inactivity, you have 90 days to use points in your program account before they are forfeited.
If we cancel your Linked Card Account in the event of your death, your executor or personal representative may request to use the points in your program account in a one-time redemption by calling us.
If we cancel your Linked Card Account by accident, points in your program account will not be forfeited.

If we cancel your Linked Card Account for any other reason (including bankruptcy or insolvency), you’ll forfeit all points in your program account.
https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...=footer-tandc#

Often1 Oct 5, 2018 1:48 pm

Wait for the letter before doing anything.

As you should know as the COO of a $10 B company, take things step at a time. You should be able to quite easily reach out once you see what has happened and why.

philemer Oct 5, 2018 2:35 pm

If we cancel your Linked Card Account for any other reason (including bankruptcy or insolvency), you’ll forfeit all points in your program account. That would be painful. Hope it all works out for the OP.

ksingh0311 Oct 5, 2018 2:36 pm

Ask your attorney or lawyer to get in touch with Amex about this big misunderstanding. They would love to have you as a customer.

Kagehitokiri Oct 5, 2018 3:17 pm

ask if you can get blue or everyday fee-free with low credit limit

Often1 Oct 5, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by ksingh0311 (Post 30283329)
Ask your attorney or lawyer to get in touch with Amex about this big misunderstanding. They would love to have you as a customer.

How does paying a lawyer help when OP does not even have the Amex letter which Amex is required by law to provide. Wouldn't it make sense to read what Amex says before paying someone to read it to you?

ksingh0311 Oct 5, 2018 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30283546)
How does paying a lawyer help when OP does not even have the Amex letter which Amex is required by law to provide. Wouldn't it make sense to read what Amex says before paying someone to read it to you?

Yes you’re right. But still, AMEX simply just doesn’t goes ahead and cancel accounts of high spending millionaires.