PERFECT CREDIT - AMEX Cancelled???

Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kickedoffamex
... We've had these personal cards for 25 years.....
.... My last several annual earnings are 100X what I spent monthly.
If you have not opened a new American Express card in a couple decades, it may well be that what American Express knows about your income is stale.

Last edited by mia; Oct 12, 2018 at 9:38 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:25 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by ksingh0311

Yes you’re right. But still, AMEX simply just doesn’t goes ahead and cancel accounts of high spending millionaires.
And high spending millionaires rarely sign up to online chat boards to get answers when their credit cards get shut off "for no reason". They have people to handle things like that.
argonath likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am COO of a $1 Billion company and leader at my church. I haven't even hast a speeding ticket n the past 10 years. My last several annual earnings are 100X what I spent monthly.
then amex needs u more than u need them..
why do u even care?

Last edited by mia; Oct 12, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
And high spending millionaires rarely sign up to online chat boards to get answers when their credit cards get shut off "for no reason". They have people to handle things like that.
Exactly. That’s why my first advice was talk to his lawyer.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
I think you would be surprised who is actually on these boards although not everyone here publicizes who they are and what they do. The billionaire founder a little startup you might have heard of called WhatsApp is infarct a member of this board. If the ops username is who I think he is, then he is in fact the COO of $1 Billion plus utility. Anecdotally I had a similar situation with US Bank a few years back, where they decided to discontinue credit and banking relationships with not only myself but my entire family whom I also had banking with them. The situation escalated all the way up to our Regional VP relationship who still couldn't give us an explanation outside of our banking patterns didn't fit with their current customer profiles. We moved on and found another bank who was more than happy to accept our deposits.

Last edited by ECKOA6; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:55 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Not true, and why wouldn’t you ask on FT? It’s a great resource no matter how wealthy you are.

It’s possible, as mia said, that OP’s income in the Amex system was stale. Getting lawyers involved is weird given their T&C give them the right to do pretty much whatever they want and force arbitration.

But yeah, I’d check my credit report. Maybe a mistake or fraud.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I find it very hard to believe that stale income information would lead to a summary closure of all accounts. If for whatever reason Amex thought that spending patterns weren't consistent with income, they do a Financial Review. If the cardholder has never been late to Amex, and has no blemishes on their credit report, something else is going on here.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is there a reason for Amex to think you reside somewhere else. I had one card cancelled when a credit card company noticed I don't actually live in Usa anymore. How about identity theft?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
There is an article HERE describing a shutdown by another issuer, apparently based on reputational concerns.
A handful of employees, including senior executives, also agreed to pay settlements
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Not to dwell on the minutia...but I thought 850 was a perfect score?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ksingh0311
AMEX simply just doesn’t goes ahead and cancel accounts of high spending millionaires.
But Amex certainly does take arbitrary, capricious actions without explaining or justifying them, which is why it cannot be your sole credit / pay method provider.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
I am COO of a $1 Billion company and leader at my church. I haven't even hast a speeding ticket n the past 10 years. My last several annual earnings are 100X what I spent monthly.
Right.

Last edited by mia; Oct 12, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

misread
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

So I went into my AMEX account and it states my card after 25 years is cancelled and I have 335,922 points. When I used their site to check my credit it indicated I have a 765 credit score, zero late payments, using 1% of my available credit and $128,129 available credit. It did not allow me to upgrade to a Platinum or Gold card but did give me a $25,000 limit on a new AMEX cash card. I'm at a lost what the heck this corporate giant is doing to us. Is data analytics and desentizing loyal consumers taking over our economy?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is also a membership rewards blue card and everyday card

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.