Wiki Posts
Search

Help Choosing Right Option (CC in EU)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Help Choosing Right Option (CC in EU)

Hi all,

My company currently spends approx £50k month via business debit card. I am intending to transfer some of this spending, and utimately all of it, to be spent via an Amex card in order to build up air miles.

The obvious choice is British Airways, but I would actually prefer to use KLM / Air France from Schiphol since it is a nicer experience than Heathrow.

It's all very new to me s but my questions are basically:

1. Would there be any significant differences between the two programs? And,
2. With £50k/mo expenditure I've no idea what sort of benefits I would earn (e.g. long haul flight / year etc?)

I also need to choose between charge card and credit card - if needs be I can bill the card and pay off multiple times a month to build up expenditure on it.

Any comments / advice gratefully received!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by ftpmi
The obvious choice is British Airways
Because?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
At that spend, before you start worrying about credit cards and points, why not consider the appropriate corporate contract managed by a corporate TA? What if you could negotiate an average 8% discount and save the company GBP 48,000 per year. No idea whether you are an owner or have any P&L responsibility, but that is something to consider and might shift your thinking beyond the trinkets given out to individual fliers.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
At that spend, before you start worrying about credit cards and points, why not consider the appropriate corporate contract managed by a corporate TA? What if you could negotiate an average 8% discount and save the company GBP 48,000 per year. No idea whether you are an owner or have any P&L responsibility, but that is something to consider and might shift your thinking beyond the trinkets given out to individual fliers.
Thanks for the reply. I do have P&L responsibility. Excuse the ignorance, but what is corporate TA? The expenditure itself is minimised as far as possible.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Hi UpgradeMe, because they are UK based and I fly out of the UK... it may not be the obvious choice though! It's all a learning curve for me.

Last edited by ftpmi; Sep 29, 2018 at 7:17 am Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thanks for the reply. I do have P&L responsibility. Excuse the ignorance, but what is corporate TA? The expenditure itself is minimised as far as possible.
TA = "travel agent".

A very strong suggestion here. If you have a £600K annual travel spend and have P&L responsibility and don't know that there are corporate TA's who can help to control costs, it may be worth spending a bit on a consultant to help you through all of this. You may well be able to affect that 600K number substantially with a much happier "P" than "L".
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanation.

I should have said the £50k / month is nothing to do with travel. It's other expenses my company incurs and currently just pays by company debit card. The suggestion was to move this expenditure to Amex to build up airmiles, hence the question.

Thanks for help so far.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we relocate this query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... expenses my company incurs and currently just pays by company debit card. The suggestion was to move this expenditure to Amex .....
Have you verified which of your vendors will accept American Express in lieu of a debit card?

Are most of your expenses that could be paid with American Express in Sterling or in Euros?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- amex - charge (membership rewards) - sterling, euro, dollar

mastercard >
- hsbc premier world elite (British Air, Cathay, Singapore air, etihad)
- virgin atlantic

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 19, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.