Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Was losing Costco business a blessing in disguise for Amex?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

Most people thought Amex was essentially toast when they lost Costco. But looks like losing Costco business and then the launch of Chase Reserve has woken up a sleeping giant. We have seen a slew of cards with great benefits. Basically, Costco's business was low ROE and what seems to have happened is it has freed up capital for Amex to invest and grow their other CC offerings. The exact opposite seems to have happened to Citi.

The two new Amex Hilton cards are probably the best cards to have among various hotel cards. The Amex Platinum is absolutely a fantastic card. Combine that with EDP and Small Business Plus, and it's hard to beat that combination. That combo is even the CSR, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited once you factor in the regular transfer bonuses you get. And now we are hearing rumors of a refreshed PRG that should make Amex indispensable for most spenders on FT.

Any thoughts? Are people on FT, and more specifically those following the Amex forum, spending more on Amex since the Amex Platinum revamp?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:12 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jediwho
Most people thought Amex was essentially toast when they lost Costco. But looks like losing Costco business and then the launch of Chase Reserve has woken up a sleeping giant. We have seen a slew of cards with great benefits. Basically, Costco's business was low ROE and what seems to have happened is it has freed up capital for Amex to invest and grow their other CC offerings. The exact opposite seems to have happened to Citi.

The two new Amex Hilton cards are probably the best cards to have among various hotel cards. The Amex Platinum is absolutely a fantastic card. Combine that with EDP and Small Business Plus, and it's hard to beat that combination. That combo is even the CSR, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited once you factor in the regular transfer bonuses you get. And now we are hearing rumors of a refreshed PRG that should make Amex indispensable for most spenders on FT.

Any thoughts? Are people on FT, and more specifically those following the Amex forum, spending more on Amex since the Amex Platinum revamp?
Your thinking is entirely the hind-sight. I do not think the new AmEx CCs have much to do with Costco. CC companies have to come up with renovative products anyway.

The same with consumers. We adapt to the CC changes. We have modest royalty, but never complete royalty. It is best to diversify to different reward systems. For me, I get AmEx MR and Chase UR reward systems. I also keep some CCs at BA, Citi, Wells Fargo. I just maximize whatever I can. I can shift spending to certain cards if they offer me better rewards.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

plat revamp? noted revamped gold competes with chase

dont think citi was ever that well regarded for earning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.