Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bgriff
I hold all of these at the moment (except for the Freedom Unlimited, which I haven't gotten around to). I agree that the annual fees start to feel ridiculous, but it's hard to rule out any individual one when I consider the value that each one gives me.
Same. I mean the CSR is $150/yr for all intents and purposes and is a good 3x catch all for things that don't qualify as dining on the Gold and misc travel. The Amex Gold is $30/yr (post credits, which for me are 100% face value) and I can MS way more than $30/yr worth of value out of it. The Plat, same thing. I'm a primarily Delta flyer, often use Centurion Lounges, and can buy all my work reimb. airfare on my personal card so the 5x is money.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Just got this card. Anyone plan on holding the

Chase Trifecta
Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited + Freedom

and the
Amex Double
Amex Platinum + Amex Gold

Long term? This would mean $1,250 in annual fees. Not sure if that makes sense - the credits on all of these cards are useful I guess, but it is a lot of annual fees...
I hold all of them except for Amex EDP. Also add in Delta Amex Reserve and misc Marriott cards for free nights, Hyatt card for the free night and various credit cards solely for the signup bonus.

My strategy:

Trains, taxis/uber, hotels, cars, tolls, bars and restaurants within hotels / sports arenas (find that bars and restaurants inside a venue don't play well with Amex Gold)
Airfare on Amex Platinum
Dining on Amex Gold unless it's a restaurant I know that doesn't code properly
Groceries on Amex Gold (which includes buying amazon and itunes gift cards at Whole Foods)
Freedom on whatever the 5x category is
CFU for any non bonus US Spend
Amex Plat or CSR for international non bonus spend

(But I put 30k on the Delta Reserve every year before following this strategy. Thankfully I have a ton of reimbursable work expenses every month)

I have ~3k in gross credit card fees, but I maximize credits for each account. So Amex Platinum is always 50 net fee for me (gift cards / FCM on delta, use uber credits on uber eats, normally shop at Saks even w/o the credit), Amex Gold is 30 (I use seamless regularly pre Amex Gold, so those credits are easy to use + Delta gift cards), CSR is 150 (no problem using that 300 dollar travel credit) and the hotel credit cards all provide a free night that I always get at least 2-3x the AF value on)

I never planned to have the Amex Gold, but the 4x on dining is too good. I'm very happy with the card with the credits, but it would be a stretch if I was paying $250/year w/o credits. I also find significantly more value with MR than TYP, so the citi prestige doesn't appeal to me.

I swear this is my main credit card strategy for a bit, but you never know how it changes
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Just got this card. Anyone plan on holding the

Chase Trifecta
Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited + Freedom

and the
Amex Double
Amex Platinum + Amex Gold

Long term? This would mean $1,250 in annual fees. Not sure if that makes sense - the credits on all of these cards are useful I guess, but it is a lot of annual fees...
I hold all these but the AMEX Gold (have the EDP in place). I also do the Citi Premier for 5x and the Delta reserve card for the MQM's. I was looking at my wallet the other day and there are 4 $400+ AF fee cards. I get value from each which lowers their effective fee, and my tracking spreadsheet still has me coming out at ~2% on a net basis (after AF), but I feel I am in too many programs, just not sure where to trim.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by jalm1
I hold all these but the AMEX Gold (have the EDP in place). I also do the Citi Premier for 5x and the Delta reserve card for the MQM's. I was looking at my wallet the other day and there are 4 $400+ AF fee cards. I get value from each which lowers their effective fee, and my tracking spreadsheet still has me coming out at ~2% on a net basis (after AF), but I feel I am in too many programs, just not sure where to trim.
haha yeah, my tracking spreadsheet is getting pretty complicated....gotta remember all the burned/wasted time worrying about this crap too!

I've completely cut Chase except for the Amazon card...its my sole Visa card in my wallet. AMEX Gold is pretty much go-to for everything right now
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: FB Gold
Being an expat based in Europe but still using US-based cards, the addition of worldwide restaurants to the 4x bonus points is a huge boon, and may sway me to keep the card next year.

I just got my statement and can confirm that my recent restaurant transaction in Metz did accrue the 4x points.

Amex acceptance is notably lower if you live/travel outside major cities. However, larger chain stores may accept them but it is still far from widespread. I would consider it to be 20% in "real' France and Germany for non-chain stores.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mlin32
Being an expat based in Europe but still using US-based cards, the addition of worldwide restaurants to the 4x bonus points is a huge boon, and may sway me to keep the card next year.
It is nice! I work for a European company and have to go to Paris quarterly, and I find Amex acceptance in Paris to be decent. Looking forward to using my Amex instead of my Citi premier card.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by lax01
haha yeah, my tracking spreadsheet is getting pretty complicated....gotta remember all the burned/wasted time worrying about this crap too!
Agree. I keep getting told to simplify the cards, i am sure my time could be better spent getting 80-90% of the value with a simpler setup.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:25 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by lax01

I've completely cut Chase except for the Amazon card...its my sole Visa card in my wallet. AMEX Gold is pretty much go-to for everything right now
The bad news with AA gift cards no longer working for the Amex airline credits also weighs against Amex. I've typically used the Amex credits for Delta gift cards; if those stop working that would definitely make it easier to justify cutting out the Gold card if/when the time comes.

I used to make a big point to max out the Freedom bonuses each quarter (and I actually have 2 Freedom cards, one "native" one and one converted CSP) including buying gift cards at drug stores and the like, but eventually decided ... at best this is getting me 48k points per year (4 extra points (and in some categories it's much less than 4 extra points) * $1500 * 4 quarters * 2 cards) which I decided just weren't worth all the brainpower and time I was putting into the maximization effort. And that was on a card with no annual fee. I may eventually come around to deciding that the extra points the Amex Gold offers are similarly not worth it, especially if the recent development of AA gift cards not triggering the Amex airline fee credits turns into a broader trend.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
The bad news with AA gift cards no longer working for the Amex airline credits also weighs against Amex. I've typically used the Amex credits for Delta gift cards; if those stop working that would definitely make it easier to justify cutting out the Gold card if/when the time comes.

I used to make a big point to max out the Freedom bonuses each quarter (and I actually have 2 Freedom cards, one "native" one and one converted CSP) including buying gift cards at drug stores and the like, but eventually decided ... at best this is getting me 48k points per year (4 extra points (and in some categories it's much less than 4 extra points) * $1500 * 4 quarters * 2 cards) which I decided just weren't worth all the brainpower and time I was putting into the maximization effort. And that was on a card with no annual fee. I may eventually come around to deciding that the extra points the Amex Gold offers are similarly not worth it, especially if the recent development of AA gift cards not triggering the Amex airline fee credits turns into a broader trend.
I too am struggling with all of the complications. I am pairing down to the following:

AMEX Gold: 4x dining and 4x groceries
2x Freedoms for 5x (Like you I generally buy 3x $500 VGC at drug store/grocery store in those quarters). I use these for non bonus categories (car/homeowner’s insurance, doctors, etc.)
Altitude Reserve: mobile payments and travel

I keep a Citi Double Cash and a Blue Business Plus in my wallet but those rarely get used these days.

I’m slowly stocking up UR again via Freedoms. I’ll upgrade a Ink Cash to an Ink Preferred when I’m ready to transfer. I never plan on going under 5/24 so Chase signup bonuses are a thing of the past for me.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You may want to check out the AA thread, they seem to be working again. I agree with you though if these credits were no longer usable for GCs that would significantly change the value prop.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: UR and MR
This is my first card with an AF and 11th credit card overall. I think this card will replace most of my other cards with its 4x restaurants and groceries. Also, the weight on this card is pretty nice as well. It weighed in at 14g using my food scale. (compared to 12 and 11 on my other 2 "metal" cards)

Last edited by ToastedSi; Jun 22, 2019 at 6:53 pm
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You may want to check out the AA thread, they seem to be working again.
You may want to check out the AA thread again. They're only working for some purchases, not for other purchases, even by the same person doing two different e-gift card purchases exactly the same way, the first counted, the second didn't (because only the second one coded as "gift certificate").

But whether they count or not has to do with how AA itself codes the purchase. It's not a change on the Amex side. So it has nothing to with DL.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:04 pm

I removed my authorized user off my act a few weeks ago. I just received an e-mail from Amex that I’ll get up to 20k MR if I add 4 authorized users to my act. I wad wondering if re-add my authorized user again, would I get the 5k bonus when I meet the spending cap? Or is this offer for only new authorized users who were never on an act? The chat rep said I can get the bonus but wasn’t able to add user. He told me to call cs. Anyone had a situation like this before?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
I removed my authorized user off my act a few weeks ago. I just received an e-mail from Amex that I’ll get up to 20k MR if I add 4 authorized users to my act. I wad wondering if re-add my authorized user again, would I get the 5k bonus when I meet the spending cap? Or is this offer for only new authorized users who were never on an act? The chat rep said I can get the bonus but wasn’t able to add user. He told me to call cs. Anyone had a situation like this before?
Yes, you'll get the 5k bonus if you add new AUs. Can add AUs online - just click the link thru the email they sent about the offer, or via your online account: Account Services -> Add Someone to Your Account

Last edited by farwest101; Jun 27, 2019 at 10:45 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
Yes, you'll get the 5k bonus if you add new AUs. Can add AUs online - just click the link thru the email they sent about the offer, or via your online account: Account Services -> Add Someone to Your Account
I called Amex to use the offer to add someone to my act, she said I didn’t have any offers. I told her but chat people told me and I got email. She still couldn’t find anything. 🤷🏻.♂️

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.