Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I learned from using my Hilton Ascend for dining/groceries last year that a lot of restaurants and "grocery stores" don't count for AMEX. For me, my local "bodega" / Korean market, my local farmers market, and various speciality stores (cheese store, butcher, bakery, etc) all don't count for "grocery" for Amex, but they do for Chase. Basically only Whole Foods and Gristedes for me were certain to code as grocery. While restaurants were less restrictive, it is an issue. Which is why I am holding off on the Gold Card for now.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Well I decided to chat with AMEX last night to go over some charges that only earned 1x instead of 4x.

I knew some of them were a shot in the dark and some others were legitimate:

Shot in the dark charges:
Shop Rite Liquor Store: Shows as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries”. Told liquor stores don’t count

Iffy charges:
Bakery/Cafe’ where I had bought some pastries. Shows as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries”. Really is a restaurant. Told that because it’s first category is “Merchandise & Supplies” I would only get 1x. I told the chat rep that Shop Rite grocery stores also code as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries” and I receive 4x. I was told “it’s not on the list”

Legitimate restaurant charges:
1 coded as: “Restaurant: Bar and Cafe’”. Rep told me it’s not listed as a “US Restaurant”. I said the address is clearly listed in the United States. I was told “American Express is not responsible for how merchant’s code themselves”.

2 coded as: “Restaurant: Restaurant”. Rep copy and pasted same response as above and supposedly put in a “claim”.

Gave the “I am a good customer why are you giving me a hard time over a few 100 points on blatant errors” spiel and got nowhere. I know I should call but I hate spending time on the phone with them over less than 1000 points.

I know chat reps are empowered to do literally nothing, but to me it’s a wasted resource if it just leads to customer frustration.

No idea why is Visa less strict than Amex for grocery and restaurants category. I've using my Chase freedom for groceries category this quarter and the only places I didn't get the 5x were Target and Costco. I wasn't sure about those places at first so I tested a few charges. I later found out discount and wholesale clubs are not covered in the category. I also tried my BofA Premium card at the places where I was given 1x with AMEX gold. I got 3.5% with my BofA Premium card vs 1x AMEX gold. Kinda annoying but oh well.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
Well I decided to chat with AMEX last night to go over some charges that only earned 1x instead of 4x.

I knew some of them were a shot in the dark and some others were legitimate:

Shot in the dark charges:
Shop Rite Liquor Store: Shows as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries”. Told liquor stores don’t count

Iffy charges:
Bakery/Cafe’ where I had bought some pastries. Shows as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries”. Really is a restaurant. Told that because it’s first category is “Merchandise & Supplies” I would only get 1x. I told the chat rep that Shop Rite grocery stores also code as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries” and I receive 4x. I was told “it’s not on the list”

Legitimate restaurant charges:
1 coded as: “Restaurant: Bar and Cafe’”. Rep told me it’s not listed as a “US Restaurant”. I said the address is clearly listed in the United States. I was told “American Express is not responsible for how merchant’s code themselves”.

2 coded as: “Restaurant: Restaurant”. Rep copy and pasted same response as above and supposedly put in a “claim”.

Gave the “I am a good customer why are you giving me a hard time over a few 100 points on blatant errors” spiel and got nowhere. I know I should call but I hate spending time on the phone with them over less than 1000 points.

I know chat reps are empowered to do literally nothing, but to me it’s a wasted resource if it just leads to customer frustration.
FWIW, anytime I've complained about a coding where it says RESTAURANT: RESTAURANT and just earned 1X - they've opened up a claim and it was resolved in my favor (and moving forward). In fact, I've had several coffee shops here in Philly (on square) flipped to 4X which is a bit of a bonus - coffee shops are supposed to be excluded - as I spend about $5/day there and am now getting 4X. Win some, lose some I guess is the moral.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Just an update, on 5/28 I received one “Points Adjustment” for a couple dozen points, and on 5/29 I received two “Points Adjustments” again for a few dozen points each. I assume this is for the three restaurant charges, but did not receive the one grocery charge (unless that shows up tomorrow).

Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone had issues with grocery stores crediting properly? I'm receiving the 4x bonus on Whole Foods, Kroger, Safeway, etc., however I just noticed I've never received credit for Jewel-Osco purchases, even though it codes in each statement as Grocery Store.

I opened a chat, but the agent wasn't very helpful and said it was because it's not a supermarket, which it clearly is. Any idea how to get this credited properly and have my points corrected?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jvel
Has anyone had issues with grocery stores crediting properly? I'm receiving the 4x bonus on Whole Foods, Kroger, Safeway, etc., however I just noticed I've never received credit for Jewel-Osco purchases, even though it codes in each statement as Grocery Store.

I opened a chat, but the agent wasn't very helpful and said it was because it's not a supermarket, which it clearly is. Any idea how to get this credited properly and have my points corrected?
I would either chat again or call in. Kinda annoying to keep calling. Last time I called, the rep wasn't helpful and telling me that I went to a restaurant that's not a real restaurant. I'm like it is a restaurant. But whatever.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:16 pm

FYI...Gold will now 4X on restaurants internationally. Change will be effective June 6,2019

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...imited-to-usa/
Statman, muaddib89 and mamula like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:22 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by keyjey
FYI...Gold will now 4X on restaurants internationally. Change will be effective June 6,2019

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...imited-to-usa/
Think how many more places there will be to complain about not getting points!

But all kidding aside, this is a solidly positive development. Other than that in plenty of parts of the world, restaurants often don't take Amex, but you can't win them all.
strickerj and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Think how many more places there will be to complain about not getting points!

But all kidding aside, this is a solidly positive development. Other than that in plenty of parts of the world, restaurants often don't take Amex, but you can't win them all.
I was in Spain for about two weeks recently and went out for lunch and dinner everyday. Every restaurant I went to accepted Amex.

Last edited by Statman; Jun 4, 2019 at 3:25 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jvel
Has anyone had issues with grocery stores crediting properly? …

Statman likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
4x worldwide on restaurants is great! Do to the US only category bonuses I never use AMEX cards abroad previously.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:08 am

Not 100% sure where to ask this, so apologies if this is the wrong spot. Do they tell you up front if you’re ineligible for the sign up bonus? I had the gold card years ago so I assumed I was ineligible, but I kept getting the targeted offers. I didn’t see anything in the application process telling me I was ineligible. I wasn’t sure if old accounts just dropped off their radar after a certain amount of time.

I was was going to get the card either way as I wanted an AMEX worth using again, but it’d be a nice surprise to get the signup bonus.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Taco1933
.... Do they tell you up front if you’re ineligible for the sign up bonus? .... I kept getting the targeted offers. .
Targeted offers without the prior cardholder exclusion are common:

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

In principle the application process should display a popup if you are ineligible for a bonus, but the mechanism is not 100% reliable:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.
Taco1933 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mia
Targeted offers without the prior cardholder exclusion are common:

In principle the application process should display a popup if you are ineligible for a bonus, but the mechanism is not 100% reliable:
I’ll keep my fingers crossed. I wasn’t paying much attention since I assumed I was excluded, but the pre-approved platinum offer I’m seeing now doesn’t include that language.

The customer service rep I spoke to seemed to think it was fine, but I couldn’t really figure out if she understood my situation or was just reading off the new cardmember bonus terms. I’ll try them again once I put a few charges on the card and see if I can get a definite answer.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The $10 per month Dining credit can now also be used at Boxed, which has been a frequent advertiser in Amex Offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.