Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
You are looking for this thread: Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Amex's criteria are different from Chase's and have nothing to do with X/24. More to do with history of opening and closing accounts it seems and with less obvious hard-and-fast rules; that other thread has much more speculation.

But to answer your last question, I have a data point of being able to apply (and getting the bonus) from a mail offer after receiving a "you've had this card before" pop-up during a standard application. I don't know if any data points exist of overcoming the "history of opening/closing" pop-up though. That other thread would probably be the best place to look.
After the rejection from the incognito offer of 50k miles, I logged into my Amex Blue account to see what pre-approved offers I had and to my surprise the same 50k miles/2k spend showed up (it had previously been a 35k offer). I clicked through the application and applied and got an instant approval. I'm not sure why the incognito link didn't work. But I'm guessing that had I received another mail offer, the app would have went through fine.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:01 am

I really don't understand Amex with their point awards. They are very inconsistent. I'm grandfathered in 2x gas until Oct this year. I always go to the same gas station for the 3 family cars and 2x is hit or miss. The charges clearly state gas with 1x and others have gas 2x for same gas station. Then there are other restaurants which are true restaurants and I still get 1x. It's really annoying to have to keep chatting with them to get it fixed. 🤷🏻.♂️
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:35 am

Yeah, I just looked at my last statement on the website and for the same exact restaurant I was given 4x points on one occasion and 1x points on another. Same kind of discrepancy on a nearby gas station I frequent.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
Yeah, I just looked at my last statement on the website and for the same exact restaurant I was given 4x points on one occasion and 1x points on another. Same kind of discrepancy on a nearby gas station I frequent.
How close to the statement date were those 1x charges? I've noticed the same situation you mention for charges that happened close to the statement closing date, but when I check several days later everything is adjusted and the 1x correctly show up as 4x (or 3x for airlines).
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
How close to the statement date were those 1x charges? I've noticed the same situation you mention for charges that happened close to the statement closing date, but when I check several days later everything is adjusted and the 1x correctly show up as 4x (or 3x for airlines).
Mines are 3 weeks apart. It normally takes 4 days to show your earnings with the new web layout. It clearly shows 1x and 4x.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret

Mines are 3 weeks apart. It normally takes 4 days to show your earnings with the new web layout. It clearly shows 1x and 4x.
Yes, then that's an issue. I guess I should consider myself lucky as I'm getting consistent 4x credit on restaurants (Toast included), even getting credit for restaurants at arenas, within hotels and airports. I wonder if the issue is related to those who were transitioned from the PRG to the current Gold vs those who got the Gold by applying after the change had taken place (as in my case). It'd be interested to get that additional piece of information in the data points.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Yes, then that's an issue. I guess I should consider myself lucky as I'm getting consistent 4x credit on restaurants (Toast included), even getting credit for restaurants at arenas, within hotels and airports. I wonder if the issue is related to those who were transitioned from the PRG to the current Gold vs those who got the Gold by applying after the change had taken place (as in my case). It'd be interested to get that additional piece of information in the data points.
I was transitioned from the PRG card to Gold. I still get inconsistent MR. Doesn't make sense to earn 2x at the same gas station and then 1x. Lol
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Anyone else have issues with the $10/mo dining credit at the Shake Shack at the Westfield Century City in LA?
Old May 7, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by gengar
Anyone else have issues with the $10/mo dining credit at the Shake Shack at the Westfield Century City in LA?
Just as a follow-up, called in and got this manually credited.

I keep telling myself not to cancel this card until right before the AF, but it is really way too much trouble.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:51 am

Headed to Puerto Rico next week. I assume this card still earns 4x dining/groceries in Puerto Rico as a US territory, correct?
Old May 8, 2019, 12:04 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
.... correct?
Yes, according to THIS post.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Headed to Puerto Rico next week. I assume this card still earns 4x dining/groceries in Puerto Rico as a US territory, correct?
Last month they did.
mia likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:23 am

Any data points on how many Gold cards you can have?
Old May 28, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Well I decided to chat with AMEX last night to go over some charges that only earned 1x instead of 4x.

I knew some of them were a shot in the dark and some others were legitimate:

Shot in the dark charges:
Shop Rite Liquor Store: Shows as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries”. Told liquor stores don’t count

Iffy charges:
Bakery/Cafe’ where I had bought some pastries. Shows as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries”. Really is a restaurant. Told that because it’s first category is “Merchandise & Supplies” I would only get 1x. I told the chat rep that Shop Rite grocery stores also code as “Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries” and I receive 4x. I was told “it’s not on the list”

Legitimate restaurant charges:
1 coded as: “Restaurant: Bar and Cafe’”. Rep told me it’s not listed as a “US Restaurant”. I said the address is clearly listed in the United States. I was told “American Express is not responsible for how merchant’s code themselves”.

2 coded as: “Restaurant: Restaurant”. Rep copy and pasted same response as above and supposedly put in a “claim”.

Gave the “I am a good customer why are you giving me a hard time over a few 100 points on blatant errors” spiel and got nowhere. I know I should call but I hate spending time on the phone with them over less than 1000 points.

I know chat reps are empowered to do literally nothing, but to me it’s a wasted resource if it just leads to customer frustration.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:10 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
Shop Rite Liquor Store: Shows as Merchandise & Supplies: Groceries. Told liquor stores dont count
And yet this liquor store operated by a supermarket chain earns 4X:

Winn-Dixie
[Street Address]
MIAMI
FL
[Zip code]
UNITED STATES
[Phone number]
Additional Information: [Numerical string]
[Numerical string]
PACKAGE STORES
Reference: [Numerical string]
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.