Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:07 pm

Any reports of people getting warned or shut down for VISA/MC gift cards at grocery stores? So far my purchases have been low (a $100 or $200 gift card even couple week, I'm single and don't buy a lot :P) but I just got a notice my car insurance is coming due. Currently don't have any card that earns bonus on that, so was going to buy a $500 gift card (plus maybe $30 in misc food items I need) and use that to pay my insurance online :P
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by acarney
Any reports of people getting warned or shut down for VISA/MC gift cards at grocery stores?
None that I'm aware of. I bought $5k this weekend. I was in an MS friendly area so took advantage! I bought the same amount over a weekend last time I was here. No issues. Just ramp up your activity. Buying a $500, lol won't register a blip on Amexs radar.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Log in to your account online (computer) and select "Statements & Activity." Once on that page use the drop down menu to change from "Recent Activity" and select "Current Statement." It will then show all your transactions for the current statement and to the left of each amount it will tell you "4X" or "3X" if that particular charge earned the extra points. If there's no blue diamond with a "4X" or "3X" then that transaction only received the standard one point. Note that you can use the drop down menu and see previous statements and see this information also.
Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:31 pm

4x was consistent up until a week ago, I noticed my recent grocery store purchases don't have the 4x icon next to it. I am not remotely close to $25k this year yet.

Last edited by fangtl; Mar 9, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by fangtl
4x was consistent up until a week ago, I noticed my recent grocery store purchases don't have the 4x icon next to it. I am not remotely close to $25k this year yet.
Bonus categories can take up to five days to register on the site.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
None that I'm aware of. I bought $5k this weekend. I was in an MS friendly area so took advantage! I bought the same amount over a weekend last time I was here. No issues. Just ramp up your activity. Buying a $500, lol won't register a blip on Amexs radar.
i am sure if people wouldn’t manufacture bogus spend like you do here in this example, there would not have to be a 25K limit on Groceries spending. Sucks...

Last edited by hawata; Mar 10, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Is there a common outcome if a restaurant not properly coded? I read the Wiki about there are restaurants not properly coded so don't get 4x points but not sure what's the usual outcome once you call/chat to Amex.

I had 2 transactions not getting 4x points and not getting the 20% dining credit for open within 3 months. Opened a case with Amex and they closed the case says there is a list of restaurants I need to do business with. Anyone knows if such list exist?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by hawata
i am sure if people wouldn’t manufacture bogus spend like you do here in this example, there would have to be 25K limit on Groceries spending. Sucks..
Or drop the supermarket limit to $6k like AmEx did to Blue Cash Preferred.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Or drop the supermarket limit to $6k like AmEx did to Blue Cash Preferred.
Familty of four and we probably spend 1.5K per month on Grociers... So 25K seems reasonable, 6K was far too little and didn’t work for me on the AEP.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

i am sure if people wouldn’t manufacture bogus spend like you do here in this example, there would not have to be a 25K limit on Groceries spending. Sucks...

Familty of four and we probably spend 1.5K per month on Grociers... So 25K seems reasonable, 6K was far too little and didn’t work for me on the AEP.
So is $25K reasonable or does it suck? Or did you just feel like dumping on someone in your first post?
mhdena likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
So is $25K reasonable or does it suck? Or did you just feel like dumping on someone in your first post?
i think 25k per year is fine but I believe that there is only a cap since people take advantage with manufactured spending.

I didnt pay pay attention on wether or not it was the first post...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:36 pm

~$500 a week on groceries is pretty high. I bet that covers almost everyone, unless people are buying hundreds of dollars in fancy meats and seafood and stuff every month.

I'm kinda in a gray area, I actually use almost all my grocery spend for actual groceries, just at a store that doesn't code as one (Fred Meyers, though I hardly ever purchase home/electronic goods there, just food, they have a good produce and vegetarian selection).

Then occasionally I'll pay my car insurance using a gift card and maybe my cell phone bill or something... but I'm way under $25k/year. Probably ~$8500 total; hopefully that isn't enough to piss off Amex.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by acarney
I actually use almost all my grocery spend for actual groceries, just at a store that doesn't code as one (Fred Meyers, though I hardly ever purchase home/electronic goods there, just food, they have a good produce and vegetarian selection).
I wonder if ordering through the click list app and using the pick up lane would show as a Kroger purchase and get 4x.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
i am sure if people wouldn’t manufacture bogus spend like you do here in this example, there would not have to be a 25K limit on Groceries spending.
I'd argue that MSers are probably not the primary cause of that cap, since Amex has long had limits on the grocery store bonus category, ranging from the Everyday to the BCP, and both at far lower caps than the Gold card. I'd posit that the reason for the cap is because the rate Amex (and V/MC for that matter) charge grocery stores is lower than what they charge restaurants, which has no cap on 4x earn. We might be a secondary reason though. Also if $25k/yr isn't enough for your grocery budget you can simply get a second gold card account with its own $25k 4x allowance.

Bringing this back to the point of this thread, it seems Amex is getting better at 4x coding with the 3rd party systems. I had both Toast and Square using merchants code as 4x in the last few weeks, and a couple of them were breweries that don't serve food, so it's proving to be fairly reliable. 1 brewery posted as 1x as a "bar & cafe" though

Last edited by krazykanuck; Mar 11, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, World of Hyatt Discoverist, Ultimate Rewards, AMEX
This card is extremely frustrating and sometimes I feel like AMEX is doing everything they can to limit the 4X bonus on this card. As one example, I used grocery delivery service Shipt and in January all of my transactions coded as groceries and posted with 4X points. However, all of sudden in February none of the transactions posted as 4X points. I contacted AMEX and about a week later was able to finally get an answer. AMEX told me they stopped this merchant from posting as 4X in January because they sell items other than groceries. This is ridiculous since they literally only sell groceries. This is just one example of so many charges I have had posted incorrectly. I almost never have a problem with travel and dining coding with Chase but I have had so many problems with AMEX coding. This is my first membership rewards card and when taking into account issues correctly coding bonus points combined with the slow posting of points I am so far unimpressed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.