Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Tried chatting with Amex about a couple of charges from a restaurant located in a department store that were correctly listed as restaurant charges but only got 1x. Rep apparently had no authority to say anything beyond what I'd paraphrase as the system does what it does and that's just how it is. Pretty lame, and reinforces my decision to go back to CSR for restaurants.
You have to ask the rep to open a case with the MR back office team. You're not going to get it fixed on the spot.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Anyone else get an MR adjustment posted today? Per a rep, their system did an audit on old transactions and flagged that they shorted me points, but they can't see what transaction(s) were shorted. Wondering if these are recent and related to the Gold coding issues, or unrelated.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Tried chatting with Amex about a couple of charges from a restaurant located in a department store that were correctly listed as restaurant charges but only got 1x. Rep apparently had no authority to say anything beyond what I'd paraphrase as the system does what it does and that's just how it is. Pretty lame, and reinforces my decision to go back to CSR for restaurants.
I mean if you're one of those people who assumes AMEX's CSR's will bend over backwards for you like in the old days, prepared to be disappointed. These days the computer is like a absolute monarch in banking systems, and even upper level managers can't overrule it. The problem is computers are often stupid and wrong - and that reflects on customer service.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by linglingfool
You have to ask the rep to open a case with the MR back office team. You're not going to get it fixed on the spot.
It's worth a couple of minutes of aggravation to try to recover $10 or so worth of points, but not more than that (to me). And yes, I realize it's silly to waste more time here complaining about it.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
I ordered Seamless on Thu Jan 31. Transaction posted later shown as Fri Feb 1, thus missed the Jan $10 credit. I was reimbursed but for Feb credit
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Anyone else get an MR adjustment posted today? Per a rep, their system did an audit on old transactions and flagged that they shorted me points, but they can't see what transaction(s) were shorted. Wondering if these are recent and related to the Gold coding issues, or unrelated.
Nothing here..last point adjustment was 01/31/2019 for me (after investigation was opened)
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by dpy940307
I ordered Seamless on Thu Jan 31. Transaction posted later shown as Fri Feb 1, thus missed the Jan $10 credit. I was reimbursed but for Feb credit
Worth calling to ask if they will manually adjust it for January and somehow reinstate your Feb credit. Amex is helpful on these types of issues.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:13 pm

Does amex match offers that are better? I am currently working on the MS for my amex gold (as well as platinum) - can you ask to me matched to a higher offer if you have not yet received it?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Blue Bottle coffee uses square, posts as 4x Restaurant - Bar & Cafe.

I can even look up the receipt directly from amex (there's a "view receipt" link next to the 4x icon, shows an overlay with the detailed receipt of what I ordered)

i used contactless to pay

don't usually encounter square - do non-4x square show the "View receipt" link?
two previous restaurants (one using toast, one square) now show up as 4x without issues, swiped in both cases

the square one... same thing, there's a "View receipt" link. last visited the same restaurant in Nov, did not get 4x and did not see a "view receipt" link
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
Originally Posted by miles4CDG
Worth calling to ask if they will manually adjust it for January and somehow reinstate your Feb credit. Amex is helpful on these types of issues.
Thanks for the tip! Chatted with them. The agent referred me to the T&C:
"if you make an eligible purchase on the last day of the month, but the merchant doesn't process that transaction until the next day, then the statement credit would be applied in the following month. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the benefit, you will not receive the statement credit."

So if the merchant doesn't process the transaction, even if they can see it's made the last day of the month, previous month's credit cannot be applied. This cannot be manually changed by an agent either

I guess i'd share this here so people learn from my mistakes
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:40 pm

FWIW, I'm noticing that a lot of Square/TST transactions on my SPG Biz (now Bonvoy Biz or whatever) are showing up as 4x for restaurants...so, even though its a completely different product, I'm thinking they are figuring out the whole restaurant coding thing
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson, AA, UA, AS, SQ, AF
DP: I just checked my last statement and a restaurant/deli where I was not getting 4x in the fall is now earning 4x automatically. I did request in October to have the points added. I'm just happy I have to request the points to be manually added each time I go there and it now codes properly.
Statman and lax01 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:03 am

Cycle and churn PRG for grocery benefit.

I was wondering if the 25K grocery benefit can be churned by closing the account, and opening a new prg account? For me the equivalent to 100K MR points benefit is the most valuable as I can easily MS 25K in grocery VGC. Are there DP (read a number of pages back but couldn't find anything) about this benefit being churnable? The plan would be to spend 25K at grocery stores, get the additional MR points, close my account (have another MR card open to preserve the points), open up a new PRG, spend 25K at grocery stores, rinse, wash and repeat.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wyogold
....get the additional MR points, close my account ....Any thoughts?
Even though you are not seeking a second new account bonus, American Express is sensitized to accounts that are closed after a short period. You are likely to trigger one or both of these algorithms.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wyogold
I was wondering if the 25K grocery benefit can be churned by closing the account, and opening a new prg account? For me the equivalent to 100K MR points benefit is the most valuable as I can easily MS 25K in grocery VGC. Are there DP (read a number of pages back but couldn't find anything) about this benefit being churnable? The plan would be to spend 25K at grocery stores, get the additional MR points, close my account (have another MR card open to preserve the points), open up a new PRG, spend 25K at grocery stores, rinse, wash and repeat.

Any thoughts?
Amex would likely recognize this pattern, and you should worried that could close down all of your Amex accounts and throw away all of your MR points once they discovered this.

Amex doesn't establish such limits because they want you to think of ways around them. Amex establishes these limits because they don't want to give away that many points. Don't you think they've thought of this already? Why else would they have a limit on 4x at grocery stores (where it's easy to do MSing) and no limit on 4x at restaurants (where it's hard to do MSing)?

Keep in mind that Amex's official policy is against giving points for gift cards. The faster you get to the 25k limit, the harder Amex will look to see if you spent that on gift cards, and then possibly take back your points.

So I suggest you spread the 25k over the course of the year, and just find some other card at some other bank for the remainder, if you truly can't hold back from doing much more MSing.
Happy and jinglish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.