Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by arctann
This last statement I only got 1x points at a restaurant I got 4x points a couple statements prior.
I honestly just feel embarrassed for AMEX.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:12 pm
htj

Originally Posted by mia
Have you opened American Express cards, made the minimum spend for the bonus, then set the card aside or closed it?
The only amex card i've had with a bonus in years is the Delta card, and it has been mostly sitting in a drawer for a year, but it gets a tiny bit of use. I doubt that's what's causing the issue, but if it is, i'd like for them to specifically tell me. They told me before i applied, when i applied and after i had the PRG that i was eligible for the bonus. I at least want a detailed explanation if they're going to renege on that.
Plus, this card doesn't even have a free first year. They got my money, gimme my points!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
How likely can I dispute this in chat and get bonus points? It's probably not worth it, though.
If the merchants truly are restaurants and groceries, pretty high. Nothing to lose by trying -- probably just the time it took you to post your question.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:12 am

Had anyone made a transaction with Resy.com to make a reservation at a restaurant? Will it code as 4x? I am quickly learning that Amex is more strict than CSR. As an example dined at a hotel restaurant only to find out I only get 1x out of it.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rjruiz
....dined at a hotel restaurant only to find out I only get 1x out of it.
This is likely because the restaurant uses the hotel's merchant account. Chase Sapphire cards still pay a bonus, not because they are less strict, but because they happen to also have a Travel bonus category which includes hotels.
bgriff and rjruiz like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is likely because the restaurant uses the hotel's merchant account. Chase Sapphire cards still pay a bonus, not because they are less strict, but because they happen to also have a Travel bonus category which includes hotels.
Ah right good point! I totally didn't think about that. Oh well live and learn.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Really, they have popups in online applications?
Yes, they do have popups. See here for an example:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30682919 (starting at post 228)

But it's not clear if those popups are reliable (ie, if you don't get the popup, it still doesn't necessarily mean that you're home free, apparently).
I thought some of the newer offers removed that lifetime language?
It's targeted offers that sometimes don't have the lifetime language, and that's nothing new. I'm not aware of any public offers without lifetime language.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 16, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
U.S. Starbucks card reloads in the Starbucks app paid with the Gold card using Apple Pay. Do they earn the 4x for dining?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
U.S. Starbucks card reloads in the Starbucks app paid with the Gold card using Apple Pay. Do they earn the 4x for dining?
Mine earned 4x.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really, they have popups in online applications?
Since 2nd half of 2018. However, not getting a pop up does NOT mean you would indeed get the bonus - there are plenty DPs all over net that even without the pop up, people were still denied the bonus, and the reasons cited, are the same as if the applicant received a Pop Up Warning.

I thought some of the newer offers removed that lifetime language?
ONLY a targeted offer to a specific individual - these invitations come in either the form of an email or a snail mail or both - all with unique offer codes and the application screen is prefilled with the targeted person's personal data that cannot be altered.

The most often targeted offers seem to be the old PRG, occasionally Plat, as well as various flavors of Delta incl business cards.

Sporadic DPs are buried in the PRG and Delta card threads in case you want to find such.

Upgrade offers especially on HH, seem to be hit or miss - there are reported denials when the life time languate not present.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by trikotret

Mine earned 4x.
thank you for the response!!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
I posted back in January, and finally was able to get back in touch with Amex today after they had emailed me saying they had an update to my dispute.

In short, for all of the Square / Toast items, they said they have re-coded the restaurants so that way when I (or anyone else) goes to them, it should work correctly. I haven't yet tested this as I had all but quit using my card, but it was a very encouraging response.

For some items that credited as restaurant for CSR but were in hospitals, airports, etc. they gave me one-time "courtesy" credits for most of them, though a couple they said they couldn't do. So it's frustrating how it's very different (and more restrictive) than Chase, but I felt they mostly at least tried to work with me.

I have an outstanding request for them to look into a $700 Tock charge.

They also made it clear that whatever is written on the statement as the category (e.g. "Restaurants - restaurants") has nothing to do with what it is coded as in the backend. Makes no sense to me, but there you have it.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

General discussion of targeted offers without previous card exclusion has been moved:

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:06 am

Data point update from 4x ... it seems like almost-ALL of my restaurants charges in my past statement coded as 4x (Square, TST, etc)...

Only real bar charges didn't code as 4x...ehh, I take that back...I see one Toast charge and one Doordash charge that are 1x

Definitely looks better than launch!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Tried chatting with Amex about a couple of charges from a restaurant located in a department store that were correctly listed as restaurant charges but only got 1x. Rep apparently had no authority to say anything beyond what I'd paraphrase as the system does what it does and that's just how it is. Pretty lame, and reinforces my decision to go back to CSR for restaurants.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.