Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Not sure why everyone is calling. Once a month, I sit down with my statement and chat with a rep, listing all the charges incorrectly coded. Takes at most 5 minutes for them to open a case with MR back office, and I get a call two weeks laterH with a resolution Highly annoying, but at least doesn't require waiting on hold.
Originally Posted by mia
If you do not see the Chat icon when logged into americanexpress.com it may be due to browser configuration:

Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
I use online chat all the time...but the other posted said "chatting with a rep" - what does this mean? The Online Chat reps were not helpful in resolving the 4x issues. I had to actually talk to someone with in the MR program to get them to back-issue points for Restaurants. And this did NOT take 5 minutes.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arctann
This card is the worst. My 4th statement closed and I never got the 50k (though that was kind of expected since I had the PRG years ago). Knowing I probably wouldn't get the bonus, I only got this card because I eat out a lot and wanted to get the 4x points. However, as has been well documented by myself and others, that has been a total disaster because of inconsistency.

This last statement I only got 1x points at a restaurant I got 4x points a couple statements prior. If the points change from statement to statement at the same exact restaurant location then I give up. I've been using my CSR more and more because at least I know I'll get 3x points at 99.9% of restaurants, cafes, breweries, food trucks, etc. without any issues. I'll mostly likely cancel this card once the annual fee comes due next year. It's just not worth the hassle. As an AMEX shareholder I'm embarrassed by this whole thing.

Is it even worth calling them up about the missing 4x points? I know some people have called and wasted their own time just to have AMEX never post the points, even after multiple calls. Has anyone had success after just one call? Considering the amount of time I wasted on the phone with them trying to get them to just ship this card, I really don't look forward to calling them again and having some clueless front-line rep not get anything done.
I would call. The phone reps seem to be more empowered. I had similar situation in Dec - 2 restaurants that earned 4x suddenly became 1x, and they are Chain restaurants. When I called, the phone rep offered 2 solutions - a $20 statement credit or a few thousands MR pts. I took the credit because I did not want to keep an eye on if the promised courtesy points would show up 1 or 2 statement later - that is another pet peeve of mine on how delay the AMEX system posting earned pts, but that is another story. The rep was surprised why I opted for the statement credit and not the seemingly higher value points - I told him why. He said he understood as this seemed to be a source of many customers frustration.

$20 statement credit posted the next day.

Somehow, 2 statements later, I saw some unidentified courtesy adjustment - not in even number like in 3K or 4K, but a very odd 29xx pts, I would take it though I had no clue what that was about as it did not say other than courtesy adjustment.

If I need to get things done other than just cancelling a card, I would call instead of doing the chats with AMEX. (you can also cancel an AMEX card via the robot on the phone fwiw).
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I would call. The phone reps seem to be more empowered. I had similar situation in Dec - 2 restaurants that earned 4x suddenly became 1x, and they are Chain restaurants. When I called, the phone rep offered 2 solutions - a $20 statement credit or a few thousands MR pts. I took the credit because I did not want to keep an eye on if the promised courtesy points would show up 1 or 2 statement later - that is another pet peeve of mine on how delay the AMEX system posting earned pts, but that is another story. The rep was surprised why I opted for the statement credit and not the seemingly higher value points - I told him why. He said he understood as this seemed to be a source of many customers frustration.

$20 statement credit posted the next day.

Somehow, 2 statements later, I saw some unidentified courtesy adjustment - not in even number like in 3K or 4K, but a very odd 29xx pts, I would take it though I had no clue what that was about as it did not say other than courtesy adjustment.

If I need to get things done other than just cancelling a card, I would call instead of doing the chats with AMEX. (you can also cancel an AMEX card via the robot on the phone fwiw).
I stopped using for restaurants I suspect use square. I mainly use this card for groceries now. Until Amex fixes their restaurant category.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by arctann
This last statement I only got 1x points at a restaurant I got 4x points a couple statements prior. If the points change from statement to statement at the same exact restaurant location then I give up. I've been using my CSR more and more because at least I know I'll get 3x points at 99.9% of restaurants, cafes, breweries, food trucks, etc. without any issues.
Not an Amex apologist here but one should really consider that even if 1/3 of one's restaurant spending only earns 1x, the number of points earned would be identical to the Chase CSR. In all likelihood, (and admittedly the incorrect points earning is bogus) one will come out far ahead on points in the long run using the Gold vs the CSR. If one values URs more the MRs, then it might make sense to switch.

The Amex Gold is a pretty solid card, warts and all.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by wco81
How often do you have to dispute how they code transactions and whether you're getting the MR points you expected?
I just gather everything up once a month and get it all in at once. Any time I've called, they've always had to open a ticket with their back office anyway (never had someone empowered to do anything on the spot), so I usually do it online when I'm working on other things.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:22 am

Just had a Square Restaurant transaction show up as 4x (randomly - didn't actually expect it)...maybe they are improving the coding and 4x points?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:52 pm

Blue Bottle coffee uses square, posts as 4x Restaurant - Bar & Cafe.

I can even look up the receipt directly from amex (there's a "view receipt" link next to the 4x icon, shows an overlay with the detailed receipt of what I ordered)

i used contactless to pay

don't usually encounter square - do non-4x square show the "View receipt" link?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Blue Bottle coffee uses square, posts as 4x Restaurant - Bar & Cafe.

I can even look up the receipt directly from amex (there's a "view receipt" link next to the 4x icon, shows an overlay with the detailed receipt of what I ordered)

i used contactless to pay

don't usually encounter square - do non-4x square show the "View receipt" link?
I actually had 3 charges from there and 2 were at 1x and the third one was 4x. I called Amex about them and they gave me the missing MR points
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by htj
How long did it take for the 50k bonus to post for people?
I'm 3 months in and haven't received it yet. I wonder when it's time to start hassling them on the phone. Via chat they said i was eligible and it should be coming.
I am in the same boat. The Amex rep said my 50k bonus is showing as pending and should apply on my next statement. Previous reports say they post a few days after completing the spending requirements. Good luck!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:31 pm

A local restaurant I used this card at gets me 1x on this card, which is unfortunate because I like that restaurant and prefer MR to TYP. What's odd is they don't use Square and AMEX actually bills it as "Restaurant - Bar & Cafe" but it's a regular restaurant. There's also a local grocery store (not major chain) that codes as "Groceries" but just gets 1x. How likely can I dispute this in chat and get bonus points? It's probably not worth it, though.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:44 pm
htj

Originally Posted by mia
Previously holding the same card (churning) is not the only reason that a bonus may be denied. What is the stated reason?
They claimed i've signed up for too many cards "to get the bonus" but couldn't give me any more details. I'll be calling back once a week until the end of time or i get the bonus, whichever comes first.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by htj
They claimed i've signed up for too many cards "to get the bonus" .....
Have you opened American Express cards, made the minimum spend for the bonus, then set the card aside or closed it?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by mia
Have you opened American Express cards, made the minimum spend for the bonus, then set the card aside or closed it?
Isn't that what most of the FTers in these credit card forums are doing?

Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Originally Posted by mia
Isn't that what most of the FTers in these credit card forums are doing?

Not those who want want more Amex cards with signup bonuses in the future and who've been paying attention to these threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Amex has of late been giving popups saying "no signup bonus for you, do you want to proceed with this application anyway?" to people who have closed too many cards and/or "sock drawered" too many cards.

In case you haven't noticed, bank after bank is increasing their methods of weeding out "churners". You increasingly have to "not look like" a churner if you want to churn.
bgriff likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Really, they have popups in online applications?

I thought some of the newer offers removed that lifetime language?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.