Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:50 am

UGH, I just had an expensive ($200+) restaurant charge go through Toast processing on my Gold card....definitely going to have to fight AMEX on that one ( :annoying: )
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lax01
UGH, I just had an expensive ($200+) restaurant charge go through Toast processing on my Gold card....definitely going to have to fight AMEX on that one ( :annoying: )
I had a Toast charge get 4x a couple weeks ago. Went from "at least I'm getting 4x points on this bad date" to "well crap" when I saw it pending as TST and then "hooray" when it posted as 4x. Maybe some of you already complained a lot about that restaurant!
lax01 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:26 pm
htj

How long did it take for the 50k bonus to post for people?
I'm 3 months in and haven't received it yet. I wonder when it's time to start hassling them on the phone. Via chat they said i was eligible and it should be coming.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:31 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by htj
How long did it take for the 50k bonus to post for people?
I'm 3 months in and haven't received it yet. I wonder when it's time to start hassling them on the phone. Via chat they said i was eligible and it should be coming.
Mine showed up very promptly, within a couple of days of completing the required spend (and without waiting for the statement to close) -- consistent with the last few times I've gotten a Membership Rewards sign-up bonus. However I think the typical experience is that if this is your first Membership Rewards card, it may take longer. If you're an established MR customer, you should probably have it by now.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:45 am

I tried to browse this thread to get my answer, but didn’t see it. How do we know which Shake Shack’s participate in this program and which don’t? I’m in Charlotte, NC and we have two in the area. Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Matthew Owen
I tried to browse this thread to get my answer, but didn’t see it. How do we know which Shake Shack’s participate in this program and which don’t? I’m in Charlotte, NC and we have two in the area. Thanks!
I think it's all of them in the US except for airport and stadium locations. You could also try trial and error, since it's a relatively small commitment to eat there even if you didn't end up getting the credit. For me the credits have been coming through 2-4 days-ish after the charges post, so don't panic if the credit doesn't show up right away.
Matthew Owen likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I had a Toast charge get 4x a couple weeks ago. Went from "at least I'm getting 4x points on this bad date" to "well crap" when I saw it pending as TST and then "hooray" when it posted as 4x. Maybe some of you already complained a lot about that restaurant!
So the nice restaurant (which used Toast) is showing up correctly with 4x...the burger place (also Toast) I went to is showing up as 1x Restaurant (again) - guess I gotta call AMEX again :facepalm:
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Not sure why everyone is calling. Once a month, I sit down with my statement and chat with a rep, listing all the charges incorrectly coded. Takes at most 5 minutes for them to open a case with MR back office, and I get a call two weeks laterH with a resolution Highly annoying, but at least doesn't require waiting on hold.
bgriff likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Not sure why everyone is calling. Once a month, I sit down with my statement and chat with a rep, listing all the charges incorrectly coded. Takes at most 5 minutes for them to open a case with MR back office, and I get a call two weeks laterH with a resolution Highly annoying, but at least doesn't require waiting on hold.
Online chat? How do you just chat with your rep and it doesn't require waiting on hold?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lax01
Online chat? ....
If you do not see the Chat icon when logged into americanexpress.com it may be due to browser configuration:

Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:35 am
htj

Originally Posted by bgriff
Mine showed up very promptly, within a couple of days of completing the required spend (and without waiting for the statement to close) -- consistent with the last few times I've gotten a Membership Rewards sign-up bonus. However I think the typical experience is that if this is your first Membership Rewards card, it may take longer. If you're an established MR customer, you should probably have it by now.
Thanks for the data point. They're trying to deny me the bonus, even though they told me everything looked fine via chat a month ago. I've never churned amex at all, so i'm going to fight this. Wish me luck.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by htj
.... trying to deny me the bonus, even though they told me everything looked fine via chat a month ago. I've never churned amex at all, so i'm going to fight this. Wish me luck.
Previously holding the same card (churning) is not the only reason that a bonus may be denied. What is the stated reason?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by linglingfool

How often do you have to dispute how they code transactions and whether you're getting the MR points you expected?

Also, anyone find a good way to get the airline credit for UA, since they don't have the gift registry working?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:12 am
mia

Originally Posted by wco81
...., anyone find a good way to get the airline credit for UA, since they don't have the gift registry working?
There is an entire thread on this topic:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-ua-only.html
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Gold
This card is the worst. My 4th statement closed and I never got the 50k (though that was kind of expected since I had the PRG years ago). Knowing I probably wouldn't get the bonus, I only got this card because I eat out a lot and wanted to get the 4x points. However, as has been well documented by myself and others, that has been a total disaster because of inconsistency.

This last statement I only got 1x points at a restaurant I got 4x points a couple statements prior. If the points change from statement to statement at the same exact restaurant location then I give up. I've been using my CSR more and more because at least I know I'll get 3x points at 99.9% of restaurants, cafes, breweries, food trucks, etc. without any issues. I'll mostly likely cancel this card once the annual fee comes due next year. It's just not worth the hassle. As an AMEX shareholder I'm embarrassed by this whole thing.

Is it even worth calling them up about the missing 4x points? I know some people have called and wasted their own time just to have AMEX never post the points, even after multiple calls. Has anyone had success after just one call? Considering the amount of time I wasted on the phone with them trying to get them to just ship this card, I really don't look forward to calling them again and having some clueless front-line rep not get anything done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.