Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by vincewy
How does everyone find out if the restaurant payment is processed by Square?....
On americanexpress.com, click the transaction to view the details, and look for something like this:

Additional Information: KSP5YR squareup.com/receipts
squareup.com/receipts
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:22 am

I was recently targeted for Amex Rose Gold Card 50K bonus in Dec 2018. I wasn't in the market for another AMEX at the time, but after crunching the numbers, this card is much better than the Amex Blue I'm using for grocery spend. I'm Chase 4/24 currently and just recently applied and got a Chase InK business with 80k bonus. If I got another targeted Amex Gold 50K offer, I would take it and then cancel my Amex Blue card. Is there any other way to get back the targeted 50K offer for Amex Gold? Or do I just play the waiting game...

Before I sign up for Amex Gold, I think I want to apply for another Chase card (United Explorer). So my plan is to wait a month after the Chase Ink Business to apply for Chase United Explorer. Then apply for AMEX gold, but only if I can find a 50K targeted offer. Has there been any success in calling Amex to "match" the targeted offer that I received in Dec 2018? Plan on having that conversation with rep in March 2019, unless you guys tell me I'm wasting my time.

I also have received targeted 100k for Amex Platinum, but don't travel enough yet...for that card. I do have grocery spend that will make the Amex Gold worth it to me.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by pdragn78
I was recently targeted for Amex Rose Gold Card 50K bonus in Dec 2018. I wasn't in the market for another AMEX at the time, but after crunching the numbers, this card is much better than the Amex Blue I'm using for grocery spend. I'm Chase 4/24 currently and just recently applied and got a Chase InK business with 80k bonus. If I got another targeted Amex Gold 50K offer, I would take it and then cancel my Amex Blue card. Is there any other way to get back the targeted 50K offer for Amex Gold? Or do I just play the waiting game...

Before I sign up for Amex Gold, I think I want to apply for another Chase card (United Explorer). So my plan is to wait a month after the Chase Ink Business to apply for Chase United Explorer. Then apply for AMEX gold, but only if I can find a 50K targeted offer. Has there been any success in calling Amex to "match" the targeted offer that I received in Dec 2018? Plan on having that conversation with rep in March 2019, unless you guys tell me I'm wasting my time.

I also have received targeted 100k for Amex Platinum, but don't travel enough yet...for that card. I do have grocery spend that will make the Amex Gold worth it to me.
I see my current referral bonus is 40k...I bet 50k should be obtainable in the near future...have you also tried CardMatch?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by BuBu4
ppl who have the 20% tipping on Amex up to $100, has it been coding very randomly for u?

My Taco bell meal was $11, but i got $15 back for it.
If you have multiple restaurant charges on the same day, the 20% credit for all of them is only credited to one name.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mia
On americanexpress.com, click the transaction to view the details, and look for something like this:
Much simpler investigation.. Just look at there CC set up. If no terminal..its not getting 4%. Easy. I have a bagel store with a Square terminal..small white box attached to phone with no buttons.. Didnt get 4% and now use a 3% disc card there.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 75K UA biz card bonus should worth more than the 50K Membership Reward pts but of course each person's own valuation system is different. The 75K UA biz card bonus should worth more than the 50K Membership Reward pts but of course each person's own valuation system is different.

Right now you still have one slot to apply the UA card after the Ink Preferred as you have already known.

I were you I would get all the wanted Chase cards first. The 50K bonus has high likely to return and you actually may receive yet another targeted offer in the future, based on experiences.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:33 am

What Blue card are you talking about? OBCash/BCEverdat/BCPreferred? For obvious reasons DO NOT cancel OBCash ever.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:40 am

so I received my Gold card with a 50k bonus plus shoprite bonues plus others. Now have 85k and paid the 250 fee. In my haste did not realize MR points are different from MR dollars. Cant use these for travel since we dont travel. and gift card redemtions are terrible. Investigated the mileage buyers who offered from 990 with 2.9% paypal fee that I pay to 1079 with a mailed check. I did these things years ago and wondering if Amex cares or even knows about these xfers. I have a done this years ago and any opinions? Have a few OBC cards that I dont want to jeopardize Opinions??/.
MR
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by barrytuneup
so I received my Gold card with a 50k bonus plus shoprite bonues plus others. Now have 85k and paid the 250 fee. In my haste did not realize MR points are different from MR dollars. Cant use these for travel since we dont travel. and gift card redemtions are terrible. Investigated the mileage buyers who offered from 990 with 2.9% paypal fee that I pay to 1079 with a mailed check. I did these things years ago and wondering if Amex cares or even knows about these xfers. I have a done this years ago and any opinions? Have a few OBC cards that I dont want to jeopardize Opinions??/.
MR
Selling your MR points is - I'm relatively certain - against the T&Cs of the program. I wouldn't do that but, then again, I collect MRs to travel (for the most part.)

You could always sign up for a Schwab AMEX Platinum, which would allow you to cash out at 1.25c/MR cash value.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:41 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
MR
If I'm reading correctly the offer is $990 minus 2.9% for 85,000 Amex points? Doesn't sound worth it to me considering that it would be against the rules of the program and you would risk various forms of retaliation from Amex. I believe you could get gift cards (or use as cash against the cost of a purchase on Amazon or other sites) worth $850; the extra value isn't worth the Amex risk, not to mention the risk of who knows how legitimate the person you'd be interacting with is.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Much simpler investigation.. Just look at there CC set up. If no terminal..its not getting 4%. Easy. I have a bagel store with a Square terminal..small white box attached to phone with no buttons.. Didnt get 4% and now use a 3% disc card there.
A few problems with that:

a) Square (at least the chip reader version) is a terminal, albeit one with no PIN pad.
b) Many sit down restaurants still take your card away and swipe it on their POS. Presumably many of those will correctly trigger the 4x.

To me it seems more productive to avoid Square in particular rather than everything that doesn't have a PIN pad.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
I see my current referral bonus is 40k...I bet 50k should be obtainable in the near future...have you also tried CardMatch?
I have not tried Card Match yet. I'm going to apply for one more chase card, before this Amex Gold- So after that, I will try it out. Does this mean I agree to get a ton of junk main and spam when signing up for CardMatch? Off topic- I'll hunt down separate thread for the CardMatch pros and cons.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The 75K UA biz card bonus should worth more than the 50K Membership Reward pts but of course each person's own valuation system is different. The 75K UA biz card bonus should worth more than the 50K Membership Reward pts but of course each person's own valuation system is different.

Right now you still have one slot to apply the UA card after the Ink Preferred as you have already known.

I were you I would get all the wanted Chase cards first. The 50K bonus has high likely to return and you actually may receive yet another targeted offer in the future, based on experiences.
I agree that the 75K UA biz card is better than the 50K MR, for the bonus, but I'm likely to get more value long term from the AMEX Gold from the $100 AC, $100 grubhub, and 4X Groceries, 4X Restaurants. I plan on keeping the AMEX card long term. I'm debating between the Chase United Explorer business vs personal card so will post that in a different forum. Basically I also want to keep the United Card for several years (planning some United flights in 2020/2021), but the spend on the card will be personal vs business.

What Blue card are you talking about? OBCash/BCEverdat/BCPreferred? For obvious reasons DO NOT cancel OBCash ever.
I have the AMEX Blue preferred $95 AF and use it for the 6% grocery spend (~$5500/year). I crunched the numbers with the AMEX Gold and come out ahead or break even with the $250 AF.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:43 pm

What's weird and why I still think using the PRG is worth using at places, is I am getting SOME Square terminals to correctly code and provide 4x...and I'm still having problems with Toast and Doordash (coding 1x). What's pretty annoying is that the CSR was just so much easier to use...bars, cafes, fast food, Square, Toast...anything would give you the 3x

To matters more confusing...I frequent two coffee shops (not restaurants) in my area and they both use the same type of Square POS unit - both code as 4x despite being labeled as: "Bar & Café". There is a pizza place that uses the same Square POS unit and its coded as "Restaurant - Restaurant" and its 1x :facepalm:

I did get a 549 MR point adjustment on my account but I haven't received a phone call back about my investigation...I wish they would just fix it so we didn't have to constantly police them

I have not tried Card Match yet. I'm going to apply for one more chase card, before this Amex Gold- So after that, I will try it out. Does this mean I agree to get a ton of junk main and spam when signing up for CardMatch? Off topic- I'll hunt down separate thread for the CardMatch pros and cons.
I don't think I gave CardMatch my email...and you sometimes can enter an incorrect name to get different cards (that's how I got the 100k MR sign-up bonus for the Plat card)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by cplush
i got a 50k point offer in incognito mode so picked up the PRG as well. 40% of my platinum spend is at restaurants so this will be a nice way to pick up some extra points. great product refresh!
Thanks for the incognito window idea. I tried it and got the offer,but i'm 4/24 and want to wait until after my 5th Chase card before applying. Hopefully deal will still be there! Should someone update the wiki to mention this tip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.