Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by deltaflyer256
Just wanted to add on the overall frustration with 4x points at US Restaurants not posting correctly. I had three fairly large charges in a billing cycle at merchants that show up as "Category: Restaurant - Restaurant" in the Amex system. After 4 rounds of phone tag with Amex, they gave me points on two of the three, saying that the 3rd was a bar (they serve food and code as a restaurant in Amex IT, so what gives?). The phone rep gave me a vague definition of what would code as a restaurant.

This seems like a tremendous failure by Amex management to understand the target market for the card. Coming in with 4x points was a clear shot at customers who use the Chase Sapphire Reserve heavily. But Chase never has any such issues of merchants not coding correctly for bonus categories. Very disappointing on the part of Amex. This along with the value destruction on business platinum (wework, seriously??) has me moving the bulk of my spend away from Amex for the foreseeable future.
I know. I wouldn't mind getting WeWork if it didn't significantly increase the AF of the card. I honestly don't understand what AMEX is planning to do. I think the card is fine for what it is. WeWork isn't going to benefit a lot of people and yet they're going to be forced to pay for the increased AF starting next month. Ridiculous.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:59 pm

Have not received a call back from AMEX around my investigation....guess I'll have to call them next week
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:08 pm

So I live in the middle of nowhere Wyoming...any tips on how to use this dining credit? Obviously no shake shack/ruths chris etc. Closest grubhub locations is 3 hours away in Billings. If now tricks I might use 6 months of the year best case scenario
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by geoff325
So I live in the middle of nowhere Wyoming...any tips on how to use this dining credit? Obviously no shake shack/ruths chris etc. Closest grubhub locations is 3 hours away in Billings. If now tricks I might use 6 months of the year best case scenario
I live in an area of ~200k people and no Shake Shack or Ruth’s either, we have UberEats (added in the last year or so) and DoorDash, but surprisingly no Grubhub... I would love any tips too, but I suspect there isn’t any... short of ordering something for a friend or someone you know in a different area just to be nice...
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by acarney
but I suspect there isn’t any... short of ordering something for a friend or someone you know in a different area just to be nice...
Hey.. it's me, your friend
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acarney

I live in an area of ~200k people and no Shake Shack or Ruth’s either, we have UberEats (added in the last year or so) and DoorDash, but surprisingly no Grubhub... I would love any tips too, but I suspect there isn’t any... short of ordering something for a friend or someone you know in a different area just to be nice...
Did you check Seamless? While GrubHub and Seamless are co-owned, they have very different (though partially overlapping) coverage territories. There's a lot of places in the USA where Seamless operates but GrubHub doesn't.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geoff325
Put Aug 31/Sep 1 and Nov 30/Dec 1 on your calendar. Those are the two months this year where Saturday is in one month and Sunday is in the next month. So if you use it while traveling to somewhere where Grubhub or Seamless operates, you can use them twice in the same weekend in different months, and thus get 2 credits each time.

That doesn't solve the whole year (unless you're able to do such travels in the middle of the week).

And remember, GrubHub / Seamless can be used for pickup, not just delivery, so you don't have be "staying" in an area (with a delivery address) to use it, though you do have to be within reasonable "pickup" distance.

Another possibility: While Grubhub always tells me I'll need to present an ID to pick up the food, that's never been the case for me yet. I just mention my name, and they give it to me. So perhaps you could use it for friends or family who live in GrubHub / Seamless areas?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:15 am

Is the contactless card the same weight as a regular Gold?

I know for the Platinum card the contactless card is lighter
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:21 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Is the contactless card the same weight as a regular Gold?

I know for the Platinum card the contactless card is lighter
I don't know, but I can say that my contactless Gold card is heavier than my CSR, for whatever that's worth.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Did you check Seamless? While GrubHub and Seamless are co-owned, they have very different (though partially overlapping) coverage territories. There's a lot of places in the USA where Seamless operates but GrubHub doesn't.
Ya, sadly neither have service in my area. We do have DoorDash though... but I don't think any card gives credits towards that... I feel like I've seen some bonus or something though, do they occasionally show up as Amex offers?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Put Aug 31/Sep 1 and Nov 30/Dec 1 on your calendar. Those are the two months this year where Saturday is in one month and Sunday is in the next month. So if you use it while traveling to somewhere where Grubhub or Seamless operates, you can use them twice in the same weekend in different months, and thus get 2 credits each time.

That doesn't solve the whole year (unless you're able to do such travels in the middle of the week).

And remember, GrubHub / Seamless can be used for pickup, not just delivery, so you don't have be "staying" in an area (with a delivery address) to use it, though you do have to be within reasonable "pickup" distance.

Another possibility: While Grubhub always tells me I'll need to present an ID to pick up the food, that's never been the case for me yet. I just mention my name, and they give it to me. So perhaps you could use it for friends or family who live in GrubHub / Seamless areas?
What's reasonable for people who live in remote areas? Is a 2 hour drive "reasonable"? lol...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Hey.. it's me, your friend
I'm his best best friend.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS 100K
So I opened the AMEX gold Jan 8th. I activated account a few days after I got the card. I just noticed that my first statement closed on the 25th, about 2-2.5 weeks after opening card. I didn't get to spend at those select restaurants for the $10 credit before the statement ended, does that mean i missed out on the 1st $10 credit? my thought all along was that I had another week or two or so left to get the credit since it had only been two weeks since I got the card.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
So I opened the AMEX gold Jan 8th. I activated account a few days after I got the card. I just noticed that my first statement closed on the 25th, about 2-2.5 weeks after opening card. I didn't get to spend at those select restaurants for the $10 credit before the statement ended, does that mean i missed out on the 1st $10 credit? my thought all along was that I had another week or two or so left to get the credit since it had only been two weeks since I got the card.
The dining credit goes by calendar month and not by statement cycle. If you use your January credit now and the February credit on Friday, you'll have two $10 credits on your next statement. I was in the same boat as you and then in my next statement I got the two credits. You'll be fine.
atcanobbio and Diplomatico like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:34 am

This is a new one... GrubHub order.. from Gold card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.