Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold
First statement closed and I'm floored by how many restaurants did NOT qualify for 4x points. So much so that I actually did the math on my total restaurant spending between the mix of 4x and 1x I got with the Amex Gold, versus the straight 3x I would have gotten with the CSR and...I would have gotten more points with the CSR. Think about that for a minute.

I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am with this card, starting with the extremely delayed shipment of the actual card to the lack of 4x points at places they themselves label restaurants. I think I'll join the chorus of others and dump this card after my first year is up. Hopefully the bonus will post without any issues.

I've been an Amex cardholder for a long time, but it's sad to see how much they have fallen off in recent years.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by arctann
First statement closed and I'm floored by how many restaurants did NOT qualify for 4x points. So much so that I actually did the math on my total restaurant spending between the mix of 4x and 1x I got with the Amex Gold, versus the straight 3x I would have gotten with the CSR and...I would have gotten more points with the CSR. Think about that for a minute.

I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am with this card, starting with the extremely delayed shipment of the actual card to the lack of 4x points at places they themselves label restaurants. I think I'll join the chorus of others and dump this card after my first year is up. Hopefully the bonus will post without any issues.

I've been an Amex cardholder for a long time, but it's sad to see how much they have fallen off in recent years.
I had several charges at a couple of restaurants not post at 4X when my statement closed. I immediately did a chat with CS and they escalated and took my number. About 5-6 days later someone from Amex called me to follow-up and when I checked again with her on the phone the charges were now coded as 4X already. She mentioned that there can be a delay based on when the charges post and when your statement closes. Now, I'm not saying that this is the case here, but I mention it because it seemed from my conversation that Amex is really interested in solving this issue and is following up to make sure these charges code properly. I'd reach out to Amex to get a resolution as there seem to be some growing pains in this transition to the new Gold and coding for restaurants.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:04 am

Got approved for the card two days ago. I have my online card number and pin but am unsure when I will be receiving the card. Should I try to make a purchase online with my temporary number and pin to trigger the $100 credit? I don't want to get stuck behind and not able to use the credit before the new year.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Studentvoyager96
Got approved for the card two days ago. I have my online card number and pin but am unsure when I will be receiving the card. Should I try to make a purchase online with my temporary number and pin to trigger the $100 credit? I don't want to get stuck behind and not able to use the credit before the new year.
Im in the same boat! Going to see if the card shows up after the Christmas holiday before I start panicking about the timing of the $100 credit. I would assume that as long as the charge that will trigger the credit posts before 12/31 that we would be ok.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: recovering WN Preferred and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Studentvoyager96
Yes, use the number and PIN they gave you. FYI, the account number is permanent, the security PIN is what changes.

New PRG member here as well. It took three business to get my card. It was sent overnight.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
I had several charges at a couple of restaurants not post at 4X when my statement closed. I immediately did a chat with CS and they escalated and took my number. About 5-6 days later someone from Amex called me to follow-up and when I checked again with her on the phone the charges were now coded as 4X already. She mentioned that there can be a delay based on when the charges post and when your statement closes. Now, I'm not saying that this is the case here, but I mention it because it seemed from my conversation that Amex is really interested in solving this issue and is following up to make sure these charges code properly. I'd reach out to Amex to get a resolution as there seem to be some growing pains in this transition to the new Gold and coding for restaurants.
Still waiting for a call back on my investigation :facepalm:
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by hughvh
Yes, use the number and PIN they gave you. FYI, the account number is permanent, the security PIN is what changes.

New PRG member here as well. It took three business to get my card. It was sent overnight.
Are you sure this advice is correct? Doesn’t he/she need to select the airline which they want the credit with first? Can’t do that without setting up the card and adding to your online account and based on my discussion with Amex CS you can’t do that until you have the physical card. I tried adding to my online account with temporary CID and it wouldn’t let me...hence my call to CS which said I need physical card.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: recovering WN Preferred and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by christianj
Doesn’t he/she need to select the airline which they want the credit with first?
Yes, you do need to select your airline first. In my case, I was able to log in shortly after credit approval. (It was almost immediate.) I enrolled in Grubhub the same night and made a purchase the next day. I got the $10 credit two business days later.

I did wait a few days before enrolling in the airline credit. But that's because I was researching which airline was easier to earn the credit back. I went with Southwest.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by hughvh
Yes, you do need to select your airline first. In my case, I was able to log in shortly after credit approval. (It was almost immediate.) I enrolled in Grubhub the same night and made a purchase the next day. I got the $10 credit two business days later.

I did wait a few days before enrolling in the airline credit. But that's because I was researching which airline was easier to earn the credit back. I went with Southwest.

I also just got approved and my card should be here on Monday. Once we choose an airline, can we change it to another one the next year?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by rmk1825
I also just got approved and my card should be here on Monday. Once we choose an airline, can we change it to another one the next year?
I haven’t double checked T&C for the Gold but on the Hilton Aspire they state you can change in January so I assume it’s the same on this Amex.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, SQ
So far so good here with getting most restaurant bills coded as 4x sans a few that are dining through a hotel, lesson learned there should probably just room charge it for the Marriott points..

I like this card and with the Centurion Lounge at SFO being a mad house, I might drop the Platinum Card and keep this next year.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:32 pm

I found out that we actually have to wait to receive the card and enter the online details into our Amex account. This is because we have to select what airline for the fee to credit to before we make the purchase. Hopefully this helps you as well!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:55 pm

regular supermarkets and real rest work fine for 4%. Not the oddball places that dont code correctly. I have no trouble at S&S/Topps/Shop-rite/Acme /Stew Leonards etc and local rest. Follow the terms. By calling them or chatting you are ruining it. for others.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:07 pm

you folks never fail to amaze me. Been in this MS biz for years..Just follow the rules and dont do calls or chats so you dont get eyes on acct.. Rules state...rest INSIDE another biz do NOT code as rest. Its in the rules. Pharmacies that are in groceries may or may not code 4%. Depends (as another poster stated) if RX is a different cat. Obviously his Publix is just 1 code for the entire store. Up here Acme grocery has a different code for RX and grocery in same store. BUT..if you are allowed to pay at regular checkout in store..it will code as grocery for 4%. It works.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:16 pm

so now I know why my local bagel store did not get 4%. Spent 22.00. Used Amex Gold. Never got 4% . He had the toast terminal attached to his phone.So now I use Citi 2x at that place. Is it worth calling Amex and wasting time on a few cents? I can MS 1000.00 in the time spent chatting/phone. Accept.it. Now I know not to use this card there.Done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.