Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by acarney
Holy cow, and here I am worried when I spend $300 two or three times this month when VISA/MC gift cards go on sale at safeway!!

I assume you're buying gift cards? Or something more "legit" ? (Stocking up on liquor, etc? :P)
I was worried myself at the pace I set for myself, but so far, Amex is giving me the 4x MR. It would be $25k divided by 12 weeks since the Oct 4 revamp date. This means a little over $2000/week spend. So far I did it almost exclusively with VGC because of Spent 1% back. But Spent died. Then my local bank shut me down for MOs. So I'm stuck at around 70% of my goal. I've been buying Amazon GCs to buy for various buying groups, and thankfully the holidays are a popular season.

My question was just to see if I should even bother with the last few grand if it won't even count for 2018 and just eats into the 2019 cap.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by robchow
AMEX is looking into charges for Square on wife's account. CSR said they will call back in a few days on their findings.
Originally Posted by lax01
DP since my first full October statement closed (a few days ago) and I used the card primarily for restaurants (didn't even attempt to use the card for restaurants in Italy) - MOST of the charges were shown as 4X

The exceptions appear to be (and I believe these would code as 3x on the CSR):
  • Breweries
  • Cafes / Coffee Shops
  • Restaurants that use Square
  • Restaurants that use Toast
I just chatted with a CSR to open an investigation into some legit restaurants didn't code correctly for the 4x...especially when it shows: Category: Restaurant - Restaurant"
Pretty sure that AMEX doesn't give a crap about us. They just tell you they will be investigating to brush you off.
lax01 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:21 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by twkidM3
Pretty sure that AMEX doesn't give a crap about us. They just tell you they will be investigating to brush you off.
The issues with the categorization has been frustrating enough that I don’t think I’ll renew next year. I know other FTers have encouraged the rest of us with these issues to report it to AMEX, but honestly I just don’t have the time or energy to deal with it.

Other cards I’ve had with dining bonus categories (CSR, the BofA Premium Rewards) never had any issues with Square or Toast/TST, unless the merchant account really was not categoried as a restaurant.

Now that as of next month, with my BofA Platinum Honors designation, I’ll be able to get 5.25% cash back on the BofA Cash Rewards Card on the first $2,500 of dining each quarter, I think that will replace my AMEX Gold next year after my current cardmember year is up.
Happy, lax01 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:57 pm

Was approved Sunday night for the Gold card. Assuming it arrives by Saturday, I'd like to use it to pay for a catering order from a local restaurant for a party. However, this is a smaller, neighborhood spot that I believe uses Square to process payments, and I've read about the issue with the 4x bonus posting properly. This restaurant also takes online orders via Caviar. I believe I've read that Caviar orders have received 4x points from Amex. Should I just process the payment that way?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by dw

The issues with the categorization has been frustrating enough that I don’t think I’ll renew next year. I know other FTers have encouraged the rest of us with these issues to report it to AMEX, but honestly I just don’t have the time or energy to deal with it.

Other cards I’ve had with dining bonus categories (CSR, the BofA Premium Rewards) never had any issues with Square or Toast/TST, unless the merchant account really was not categoried as a restaurant.

Now that as of next month, with my BofA Platinum Honors designation, I’ll be able to get 5.25% cash back on the BofA Cash Rewards Card on the first $2,500 of dining each quarter, I think that will replace my AMEX Gold next year after my current cardmember year is up.

I don't believe the math is right on the BofA side and you may want to reconsider. Even as Platinum Honors the rewards bonus is only 75% on top of the rewards you already earn. You mention two cards in your post and if my understanding is correct, the BofA Cash rewards card earns 1 point p/dollar on dining so with Platinum Honors you'd get 1.75% back, and the BofA Premium Rewards card earns 2 points p/dollar on dining so you would top out at 3.5% back on dining (groceries on the Cash Back card would also top out at 3.5% back). If one prefers cash I guess you can go this route, but in some cases 3 MR points p/dollar on dining could yield a better value IMO. In any event, I guess it's not clear how one can reach the 5.25% back on dining (unless you are referring to gas purchases which would get you to 5.25% back on the Cash Rewards with Platinum Honors - but you would probably use the BofA card regardless since there's no bonus on gas on the Amex Gold).
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:06 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I guess it's not clear how one can reach the 5.25% back on dining.
Starting Jan. 14, the BofA Cash Rewards card is letting people choose from a number of categories what they want the 3% category to be, one of which is dining (capped at $2,500 of 2% category and 3% category spend each quarter, of course). So with the Platinum Honors bonus, that increases to 5.25%.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RMZ2006
Was approved Sunday night for the Gold card. Assuming it arrives by Saturday, I'd like to use it to pay for a catering order from a local restaurant for a party. However, this is a smaller, neighborhood spot that I believe uses Square to process payments, and I've read about the issue with the 4x bonus posting properly. This restaurant also takes online orders via Caviar. I believe I've read that Caviar orders have received 4x points from Amex. Should I just process the payment that way?
Caviar has coded as 4x for me. The in-person Square charge won’t.
RMZ2006 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by RMZ2006
I have not seen a single Square transaction code as 4x...YMMV of course but that's my DP
RMZ2006 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by dw

Starting Jan. 14, the BofA Cash Rewards card is letting people choose from a number of categories what they want the 3% category to be, one of which is dining (capped at $2,500 of 2% category and 3% category spend each quarter, of course). So with the Platinum Honors bonus, that increases to 5.25%.
Wow, I did not know that. I guess I never read the actual statements for notices, but I have not seen that. Thanks for letting me know. Going to have to look into that indeed and dust off the Cash Rewards card b/c as you mention with the Platinum honors it does get interesting.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:58 pm

UGGHH Just had bougie burgers and beers to the tune of $60 and I see the POS was a brand new handheld Toast (grand opening of bar/restaurant). Paid with AMEX Gold....gonna have to fight AMEX on this one
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Xavier110

Caviar has coded as 4x for me. The in-person Square charge won’t.
Thanks for datapoints on Caviar. Based on what I've read and the replies here, I decided to place the order that way. Even better, when the offers populated for the new card, the $10 on a $40 Caviar purchase offer was there. Nice little stack with the 20% keep-the-tip credit from Amex.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Just as a heads-up, a Jamba Juice location I went to today seems to have switched to a Toast setup. Hopefully there aren't coding or bonus posting problems for those transactions too.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:25 pm

Used a Clover POS unit today at an actual restaurant...will report back on 4x rewards (and will be arguing with AMEX if it doesn't post correctly)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
As much as I want to complain about the ones that aren't coding, this card has done me more good than not having it at all, mainly due to the 4X groceries that I'm trying to max out before the year end. At least, I think the situation has improved a little bit over that last month as I am seeing some places coding correctly that initially were not giving the bonus.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Happy
$25 GC purchase at Cheesecake factory is coded 1x despite it is paid at the same take out counter where I bought 2 slices of cheesecake last month that earned 4x and $10 statement credit. This cycle it is NONE.
Earlier this week, purchased lunch to go ~$13.00 and 2x$25 gift card (for the 2 free cheesecake slices ) on the same transaction. Received 4x and the $10 statement credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.