Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I've done it a couple of times already, but just at $100 per transaction. I think a $700 grocery charge might raise some eyebrows.
Maybe, though a large amount shouldn't really matter so much anymore, since at some "grocery stores", one can buy way more than just food - furniture, home decor, automotive accessories, patio furniture, gas grills, jewelry, electronics, a full range of clothing, etc.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Maybe, though a large amount shouldn't really matter so much anymore, since at some "grocery stores", one can buy way more than just food - furniture, home decor, automotive accessories, patio furniture, gas grills, jewelry, electronics, a full range of clothing, etc.
And earn 4x on it up to 25k/year. Done strategically and a lot purchases that “should” be non bonus spend becomes 4x!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone tried their Gold card at a restaurant within the of the hotels on the Las Vegas Strip? I have reservations at Nobu @Caesars, Lago @Bellagio and Gordon Ramsay @paris coming up.

Wondering if I should try the Amex Gold for 4x or stick with the JMPR for 3x.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
Has anyone tried their Gold card at a restaurant within the of the hotels on the Las Vegas Strip? I have reservations at Nobu @Caesars, Lago @Bellagio and Gordon Ramsay @paris coming up.

Wondering if I should try the Amex Gold for 4x or stick with the JMPR for 3x.
As a general rule, restaurants in the hotels now charge independently and MCC as restaurants. I can confirm that Lago does on my CSR.

There was a time that pretty much all the hotel restaurants processed CCs through the hotel's centralized system so MCC'd as lodging, but that was 10+ years ago.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:28 am

invitation

Happy Thanksgiving!

I had AMEX PRG in 2013, then upgraded to Platinum, eventually closed in 2016. Applied and got approved the PRG again Sept this year, without any bonus. It is before PRG changes to AMEX Gold. Recently Received AMEX GOLD with 50K MR points invitation offer with unique code(has no life time language). Will I get the bonus point if I apply and get approved? Thanks

Last edited by liw5215; Nov 22, 2018 at 9:29 am
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Sorry if this has been answered, but whats the best way to dispute points discrepancies with AMEX for this gold card?
I hate the admit, but the chase ultimate rewards points system reflects much clearer

My first statement just closed, I already notice errors...
some restaurants not posted as 4X, also i shopped at the same grocery store twice. One charge receive the 4X and the other didnt...weird.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Sorry if this has been answered, but whats the best way to dispute points discrepancies with AMEX for this gold card?
I hate the admit, but the chase ultimate rewards points system reflects much clearer

My first statement just closed, I already notice errors...
some restaurants not posted as 4X, also i shopped at the same grocery store twice. One charge receive the 4X and the other didnt...weird.
Look on the right. Amex is not going purely by the merchant category.

I have stand-alone 7-11 purchases where the category is grocery, but on the right in the Description field it says the purchase is "gas/msc97", and those earn 1x (not 4x for grocery, not 2x for gas).

My Ralphs (Kroger) and Whole Foods show "grocery" on the right, but Trader Joes shows "grocery/sundries" (though that still counts for 4x).

So it could be that the same grocery store coded your purchase description differently on the charge that got 4x vs the charge that didn't get 4x. Did you buy "grocery" stuff on the 4x charge but non-"grocery" stuff (say, in-store pharmacy department) on the charge that didn't get 4x by any chance?

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 24, 2018 at 10:24 am
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Look on the right. Amex is not going purely by the merchant category.

I have stand-alone 7-11 purchases where the category is grocery, but on the right in the Description field it says the purchase is "gas/msc97", and those earn 1x (not 4x for grocery, not 2x for gas).

My Ralphs (Kroger) and Whole Foods show "grocery" on the right, but Trader Joes shows "grocery/sundries" (though that still counts for 4x).

So it could be that the same grocery store coded your purchase description differently on the charge that got 4x vs the charge that didn't get 4x. Did you buy "grocery" stuff on the 4x charge but non-"grocery" stuff (say, in-store pharmacy department) on the charge that didn't get 4x by any chance?
Understandable. The grocery charge in question at Kroger, was indeed groceries (food, drinks etc for thanksgiving). The prior Kroger charge was also for food etc, and I got the 4X for that one.
The two restaurant charges were this local bbq restaurant and the other was at McDonalds...both are pretty clear to me.

So I ended up contacting AMEX, and they put in an investigation. They also said that since my statement just closed yesterday, that all the points haven't fully been posted, been verified or whatever...hmmm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
. They also said that since my statement just closed yesterday, that all the points haven't fully been posted, been verified or whatever...hmmm
It's pretty well documented in this thread that it takes a few days for the 4x to correctly code. I've seen this by stalking transactions day by day during my first month with the card. They'll show as 1x and gradually turn to 4x as time rolls on.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's pretty well documented in this thread that it takes a few days for the 4x to correctly code. I've seen this by stalking transactions day by day during my first month with the card. They'll show as 1x and gradually turn to 4x as time rolls on.
Yep, same for the Plat. Usually takes 3-4 days, IME.

So far, every restaurant and every grocery store at which I've used the card has eventually coded as 4x MR points. (Knock on wood.)
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... my statement just closed yesterday,....
Points from your November statement will post a day or two after your December statement is generated. Then, and only then, will you be able to finally see all the transactions which earned bonus points.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:53 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by mia
Points from your November statement will post a day or two after your December statement is generated. Then, and only then, will you be able to finally see all the transactions which earned bonus points.
ok thanks. I usually check in the 'all activity' section to see each charge and its point total - inst that where you check?

The membership rewards page just shows the sum total. which is helpful, but I wish it would show the sum total as well as the breakdown for each charge on one page lol
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yep, same for the Plat. Usually takes 3-4 days, IME.

So far, every restaurant and every grocery store at which I've used the card has eventually coded as 4x MR points. (Knock on wood.)
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
thanks everyone.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I was just approved for this card and received it. I find it a bit strange that AMEX requires us to enroll for the credit. Just to be sure, I need to call them to enable the $100 airfare credit right? I'm assuming I have to tell the rep that I want to select American Airlines as my preferred airline so that I can then buy the AA giftcard from AA.com?

I'm assuming I get 3x MR on airfare purchased from Hawaiian Airlines' website rather than through Orbitz or Expedia? I don't need to call AMEX to enable my ability to collect 3x MR on airfare purchases?

Thank you.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
you can select your airline online

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.