Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Crazy, eh? I actually dropped off the old card in mail on my way to the airport and was totally oblivious to all the charges happening back home until I got an email from Chase when they noticed a transaction in Amsterdam (which I had made) the same time my old card was used at a local Taco Bell.

I was told by Chase to either drop it off at any Chase location or wait 60 days before mailing the old card back. I usually shred the old plastic cards at home but the metal ones are a major PITA.
Now that's funny (though not to you, I'm sure). Criminals have your credit card in their possession - with virtually carte blanche purchasing ability - and they choose to use it for a Doritos loco double chalupa.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Approved 10/28 via a referral link from my sister.

Still haven't received the card as of 11/9...

On the approval page it said 3-5 business days. Then I called in and was told 7-10 business days. Then I got a message on the website saying "Due to high demand, you may be experiencing delayed delivery of the new metal card. You should expect to receive your card(s) no later than November 10th. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience." Now I'm getting that same message, but they changed the 10th to the 16th. I'm sure they'll miss the 16th deadline too.

This is super frustrating and a terrible look for AMEX. I've been a cardholder long enough to remember when AMEX had great customer service. I guess that is no longer the case.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Now that's funny (though not to you, I'm sure). Criminals have your credit card in their possession - with virtually carte blanche purchasing ability - and they choose to use it for a Doritos loco double chalupa.
hey, ya gotta eat, right?!
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Huh.

Here's a data point:

Purchase at a Moe's location at ATL came through as charged to "Atlanta Airport." No quad points.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by arctann

On the approval page it said 3-5 business days. Then I called in and was told 7-10 business days. Then I got a message on the website saying "Due to high demand, you may be experiencing delayed delivery of the new metal card. You should expect to receive your card(s) no later than November 10th. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience." Now I'm getting that same message, but they changed the 10th to the 16th. I'm sure they'll miss the 16th deadline too.

This is super frustrating and a terrible look for AMEX. I've been a cardholder long enough to remember when AMEX had great customer service. I guess that is no longer the case.
Are they going to adjust the 3 month period accordingly? I am in the same situation and it will probably amount to having the card in hand for 2 months.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:05 am
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat

I would try calling again and say you need it for an upcoming trip.

My recent experience: applied online and was approved on 10/31. Got the same 3-5 business day arrival expectation. Called on Monday 11/5, saying I was hoping to have it before I left for a trip this weekend. Very helpful agent said they would try and get it to me before I left on Friday, and that she would call me on Thursday to confirm. She did in fact call me again on Thursday to confirm I received the card that was overnighted to me.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Hah, $45 worth of chapulas. It had to be someone at the post office because all the charges were local and around my neighborhood and I had dropped off the envelope directly at the post office. Also, it probably was a regular Joe who didn't have the vision or guts to use it for big ticket items. lol That person still managed to get away with almost $200 worth of fast food before the card was shut down.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by drminn
Are they going to adjust the 3 month period accordingly? I am in the same situation and it will probably amount to having the card in hand for 2 months.
Phone agent I spoke to last night was unsure if they would make any adjustments to the bonus period. I had an online chat with another agent (prompted by a Twitter post I made) and that agent seemed to think an adjustment would be made, but could not guarantee it. Honestly, I would not hold my breath waiting for one. I wanted to speak to a supervisor last night but neither agent could connect me to one. AMEX has been pretty terrible every step of the way so far.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by mk1

My recent experience: applied online and was approved on 10/31. Got the same 3-5 business day arrival expectation. Called on Monday 11/5, saying I was hoping to have it before I left for a trip this weekend. Very helpful agent said they would try and get it to me before I left on Friday, and that she would call me on Thursday to confirm. She did in fact call me again on Thursday to confirm I received the card that was overnighted to me.
I tried that to no avail. The agent said their hands are tied with the contractor that is making the metal cards, and there is nothing AMEX can do about it at this point (which is total BS). Glad it worked out for you though.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jrc1896

For me, it’s been every single Square transactions. Multiple restaurants and coffee shops and all are just 1X.
This is very worrying for me. I go to breweries and food trucks all the time and most of them use Square. Chase always codes them as restaurants so I get 3x on my CSR, but it looks like AMEX will only be giving me 1x...
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mk1

Tried this multiple times with HUCA on the Business Gold card...they literally said there was no ability to expedite or overnight the card - now granted its a different product than this one but I'm wondering if AMEX is moving away for doing expedite shipping (except for top, most expensive product lines). Gonna try to expedite the card again today as I have a trip on Thursday

This is very worrying for me. I go to breweries and food trucks all the time and most of them use Square. Chase always codes them as restaurants so I get 3x on my CSR, but it looks like AMEX will only be giving me 1x...
Same same - though it looks like the bigger breweries with real POS systems do code as 4x - ala Modern Times Dankness Dojo
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:22 am

Generally speaking, how long after reaching $2k in purchases should I receive the signup bonus?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nall
Generally speaking....
There is no useful answer because it appears to depend on your personal history with American Express. I have had new account bonuses post within a few days of meeting the spend, or after the maximum number of weeks mentioned in the terms.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:09 pm

Bonus was showing as pending within a day or two of hitting spend for me.

I tested buying target gift card at grocery store and it charges as groceries for 4x. I plan to do the same for Nordstrom and going forward for non 4x merchants if it is not inconvenient to stop. If you don’t have platinum, and if this works for your grocery store, it seems buying a delta (et al airline) gift card is worth it for 4x instead of 3x. Even if it is a blended bonus for difference of gift card and cost of ticket.

Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:07 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Jrc1896
For me, it’s been every single Square transactions. Multiple restaurants and coffee shops and all are just 1X.
As another data point, I have experienced the same thing-- every single Square transaction has,without fail, posted as 1x points, even though the categories always look correct when they post (i.e. "Merchandise & Supplies- Groceries" and "Restaurant- Restaurant").

I think I'll just start using a different card for places where I see a Square terminal for the time being.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.