Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by rccsd
Does anyone know how purchases on GrubHub work? Is it coded as a restaurant purchase so that we get 4x per $ spent?
I also have an Amex Offer giving 1 extra MR on Grubhub/Seamless for a total of 5 MR on all purchases until end of year.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by majorkirkus
AMEX sent me an envelope with my replacement metal Gold card to send back an old card for destruction.
Same here - my AMEX Personal Plat was potentially caught up in the BA hack; AMEX sent me a new metal card last week along with a postage paid envelope to return my old card.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Hi,
I applied Gold card on 10/12. Got the card on 10/26 via UPS. In the evening of 10/26, I chatted with AX to get rose gold. And I received the rose gold card today (11/3) via US mail.

Question: How can I dispose the metal gold card?
If the old card account number (Gold card) is still active (same number as your Rose Gold), I'd suggest NOT mailing it back. I did that once in the past with a metal card and someone stole the card during transit (likely a post office employee as I had dropped it off there) and went on a shopping/fast food spree on my account.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:27 am

Curious if the Rose Gold version would need to be replaced after 1/9/19 how long will they support this limited edition.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:32 am

Has anyone ordered the rose gold for all authorized users (as required by Amex) and then switched the primary card only back to regular gold? Wife likes the rose gold, but I would prefer to switch my personal card back to regular gold.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Amex,AS,DL,Marriott,Hilton
Data point: ordered from seamless on 10/30, transaction posted as on 10/30 but cleared on 11/03. $10 credit back on 11/05 and still seeing $10 credit for current month. So it seems like as long as the transaction shows the correct date, it will be reimbursed using transaction month's credit
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

My wife got mailed a targeted offer for the new Gold card last night, doesn't mention lifetime restriction, but she already has an open Gold card account. Would the offer hold up if she applied?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:04 pm

Has anyone seen any odd reimbursement amounts for the 20% dining statement credits. Not that I'm complaining...
For example. 11/4 Post $38.33 Restaurant spend
11/6 GBPG:0001 20% Statement Credit -$25.88 for that restaurant
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by amexman
Has anyone ordered the rose gold for all authorized users (as required by Amex) and then switched the primary card only back to regular gold? Wife likes the rose gold, but I would prefer to switch my personal card back to regular gold.
You can't mix and match. Either both gold or both Rose Gold. I tried before and that was the only option.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by tsmith12
If the old card account number (Gold card) is still active (same number as your Rose Gold), I'd suggest NOT mailing it back. I did that once in the past with a metal card and someone stole the card during transit (likely a post office employee as I had dropped it off there) and went on a shopping/fast food spree on my account.
Wow, I am not the only one with a similar experience. That happened to me with the Chase Sapphire Preferred when I send back because they sent me the upgraded Chase Sapphire Reserve with same BIN number, but different CVV and expiration date. Bad thing was the BIN was active and started receiving notifications of purchases and immediately called to alert Chase and stop it. But if I did not have notifications, this guys would have gone on a shopping day or even weekend, and Chase and Amex did not have Card Freezing options yet.

Now I just collect the cards that have been cancelled or have been substituted. No matter if they are metal or plastic. I have them boxed with my Manufacture Spending receipts and VGCs from all over the years.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by charmander2
Has anyone seen any odd reimbursement amounts for the 20% dining statement credits. Not that I'm complaining...
For example. 11/4 Post $38.33 Restaurant spend
11/6 GBPG:0001 20% Statement Credit -$25.88 for that restaurant
its consolidating an entire days restaurant charges into one reimbursement that is titled by one of the restaurants from that day.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Do we know yet whether all Square transactions are not posting, or just certain ones? It could perhaps be a certain model or a certain software version of Square that is causing the problem.

I mainly dine at Rewards Network restaurants (ie, airline and hotel dining programs), and they way RN works is that they "intercept" transactions at registered restaurant terminals, and people were having problems with RN not catching that data (and thus dines not posting automatically) at some Square-using restaurants some time back, but I haven't heard anything about that in many months so I presume RN got it fixed (or else stopped using restaurants with Square?)..

Has any communicated with Amex to find out if they know about a Square-specific issue, or had them start an "investigation" into it (rather than just an investigation into specific dines that didn't post correctly)?
For me, its been every single Square transactions. Multiple restaurants and coffee shops and all are just 1X.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jrc1896

For me, its been every single Square transactions. Multiple restaurants and coffee shops and all are just 1X.
Just ate a legit restaurant that uses Square....will post results but I'm not hopeful

Almost all Square POS purchases haven't coded correctly...Apply Pay does, in some cases, code as 4x for restaurants
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
Just ate a legit restaurant that uses Square....will post results but I'm not hopeful

Almost all Square POS purchases haven't coded correctly...Apply Pay does, in some cases, code as 4x for restaurants
And all are places that give me 3X on the CSR I might add.
lax01 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
Wow, I am not the only one with a similar experience. That happened to me with the Chase Sapphire Preferred when I send back because they sent me the upgraded Chase Sapphire Reserve with same BIN number, but different CVV and expiration date. Bad thing was the BIN was active and started receiving notifications of purchases and immediately called to alert Chase and stop it. But if I did not have notifications, this guys would have gone on a shopping day or even weekend, and Chase and Amex did not have Card Freezing options yet.

Now I just collect the cards that have been cancelled or have been substituted. No matter if they are metal or plastic. I have them boxed with my Manufacture Spending receipts and VGCs from all over the years.
Crazy, eh? I actually dropped off the old card in mail on my way to the airport and was totally oblivious to all the charges happening back home until I got an email from Chase when they noticed a transaction in Amsterdam (which I had made) the same time my old card was used at a local Taco Bell.

I was told by Chase to either drop it off at any Chase location or wait 60 days before mailing the old card back. I usually shred the old plastic cards at home but the metal ones are a major PITA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.