Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lax01
...seems totally hit or miss and random...not a fan
1. You cannot know this soon which bonuses will really post.

The Rewards you've earned through special promotions may not be reflected below. You can view all of your Rewards on the bonus summary page.

2. It's not random. There does seem to be a pattern, related to the credit card processor that the merchant chose. American Express needs to fix it, and recognizing the pattern will help communicate with them about it.
lax01 likes this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 31, 2018 at 11:41 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:28 am

Really weird. Checked it a couple days ago and some had the 4x badge, checked it now and all the ones that I thought would have 4x have 4x except for a coffee place that uses square.

I'm going to be reviewing these statements over the next month or so to make sure I'm getting 4x on the places I "dine" and places I "shop". I've been used to CSR's liberal definition of dining, pretty much everywhere I was getting 3x.

So far the 4x multiplier is hitting places where I go frequently so I'm a happy camper.. for now!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
1. You cannot know this soon which bonuses will really post..
True, I'm just going off what is being displayed in the New Version "preview" - which seems to be updated about 2-3 days after the transaction posts - but you are right, who knows what is going to happen once the statement is created
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by thomasengland
Really weird. Checked it a couple days ago and some had the 4x badge, checked it now and all the ones that I thought would have 4x have 4x except for a coffee place that uses square.

I'm going to be reviewing these statements over the next month or so to make sure I'm getting 4x on the places I "dine" and places I "shop". I've been used to CSR's liberal definition of dining, pretty much everywhere I was getting 3x.

So far the 4x multiplier is hitting places where I go frequently so I'm a happy camper.. for now!
confirming that all restaurant charges via Square have posted as 1x Membership Rewards points on my Oct statement.

AMEX is pretty good at corrections after the fact via adjustment without having to request it.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:05 pm

I've been happy to see almost all the locations at Disneyland and California Adventure (including Disney Hotel) that I ate at seem to be showing up as restaurants on the statement, though my statement hasn't closed yet to verify I got 4x. Both doing mobile app ordering in the parks and walk up ordering both code as restaurants even though the mobile does show up as Disney Mobile Order or something.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:26 pm

My statement closed on Monday. The statement does not show the number of MR earned. But I do see the number of pending points when I log on. Anyone else?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
.... The statement does not show the number of MR earned. ....
This is normal if this the very first statement on a new account. The (pending) points generated by October transactions will be earned when you pay the balance, and will appear on the next statement.

If you try to track points using -both- the online information -and- the paper/PDF statements you will become very confused. Choose one method. Ignore the other.
Troopers likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
How soon are people seeing the $10 stmt credit show up? I went to a new Shake Shack about a week ago (stand alone location). So far the $10 stmt has not posted and MR for the transaction is showing only 1 point/$ (my other restaurant/grocery store charges are showing the 4x multiplier)
Make sure you enrolled for the dining credit.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Does anyone knows if Uber Eats counts as dining for Amex and it earns 4x? Just curious, I used my CSR to order food and it was reimbursed through the travel credit. Wondering if Amex considers it just another Uber transaction.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Does anyone knows if Uber Eats counts as dining for Amex and it earns 4x? Just curious, I used my CSR to order food and it was reimbursed through the travel credit. Wondering if Amex considers it just another Uber transaction.
Uber Eats posts as "Transportation - Taxis & Coach".
Javier1704 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
How soon are people seeing the $10 stmt credit show up? I went to a new Shake Shack about a week ago (stand alone location). So far the $10 stmt has not posted and MR for the transaction is showing only 1 point/$ (my other restaurant/grocery store charges are showing the 4x multiplier)
Make sure you have really signed up for the Amex credit. I signed up once (soon after the benefit went live), and then perhaps a couple weeks later, after noticing that Amex kept inviting me to sign up, I signed up again, and it said "enrolled", rather than "you are already signed up". So could it be that some early signups didn't work right?

Anyway, after I did my second signup, I did a GrubHub pickup order ($15ish), and the $10 credit appeared online a day or two after the GrubHub charge actually posted (which in turn was several days after the order was placed). (And the extra MR point for the "earn 1 extra MR point on GrubHub/Seamless" offer I signed up for also posted about the same timing. And that one extra MR point was on the pre-credit amount, ie, the original purchase amount.)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:13 pm

I'm not seeing the Dining benefit reset today...actually, both the Dining and Airfare credit are showing:
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Javier1704
I almost never post on this forum but came in to answer this exact question. Just noticed on my statement online. Uber Eats does not count it's only 1X points, However Grubhub gets you 4X. As a snobby downtown big city millennial this is a SLIGHT annoyance as you can track the location of your food with Uber Eats but at least Grub Hub provides a pseudo decent delivery time window. Also, switching to grubhub will inheritantly force you to use your $10 monthly credit as opposed to forgetting like i just know i would.

Not looking forward to giving up my uber eats app, but considering how often I have food delivered, I can't leave 4X points on the table. Rough estimate is that I spend $2,000 to $4,000 a year on delivery. 4,000 points or 16,000 points. No brainer.

Last edited by woodandleather; Nov 1, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:14 pm

My statement closed and I have about $120 in restaurant spend that did not earn 4x points. They are mix of square and non-square terminals. Given that I eat at many new places that use Square I may have to rethink on using Amex vs Chase.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by gengar
As a data point, approved 10/12, ship notification e-mail 10/22, wasn't actually shipped until 10/23.
There must be further delay with this and I've been charging this card by manually entering. Approve 10/20, ordered standard gold, still no shipping notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.