Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I'll compare contactless cards to another technology... Cell phones.

We're stuck in the "dumb phone" era when it comes to credit cards, while most of the world is in the "smartphone" era.

It's like our cashiers live under a rock here. "Wowww!!!! you can tap your card to pay??!!." Next time a cashier does that to me, I'll just say, "yes, and it's not uncommon in places with up to date technology, so you just look like a fool by acting all surprised."
That doesn't really invalidate my point though. I mean, I've found that people don't comment anymore when I pay with NFC on my phone (nor do I really need to walk them through how to run such a transaction), and that's because that happens way more often than someone tapping a physical card.

Anyway, perhaps that'll change thanks to cards like the PRG and people end up deciding that they prefer to do the latter. Who knows?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As a data point, approved 10/12, ship notification e-mail 10/22, wasn't actually shipped until 10/23. AMEX voluntarily overnighted the card, which is a first for me (they've never overnighted me a card before unless I specifically called in to request it).

Originally Posted by HeartFist
Also, can I please hear a couple of opinions on the Rose Gold version for a man? I already read that it is more bronze than pink. Personally I think the gold one looks a little bit showy.
If only one color could be chosen, bronze is probably the best description - I'd never say pink or rose in that circumstance.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
FWIW, the contactless chip on my SPG Luxury card is inoperative.

The new rose gold PRG contactless works.

So I'd test it somehow first (I used an Android phone I had lying around with the NFC Tag app).

As for Square, I have multiple transactions where Square coded as "Restaurant - Bar & Cafe" (for Blue Bottle Coffee in SF) isn't showing 4x online. But I don't think it's 100% accurate until the statement closes and you can see the bonus points awarded under Membership Rewards -> Points Summary. Will be interesting to find out. The CSR earns 3x there.
It has always been an issue. The category shows "Restaurants" and you get no bonus. It's not a new issue.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
At least for the Uber credit, you can just add the card to your account and forget about it. Low maintenance. But this dining credit is not like that.
You sure you know what you're doing? The process is basically identical. Download the Grubhub app (just like you did with Uber), create a user account (just like you did with uber), add your appropriate Amex payment method (just like you did with Uber)...and you're done. Forever. Go order some sushi, pick up, and enjoy $10 off per month. Amex recognizes the backend transaction and credits within a few days. Worked like a charm.
Diplomatico, jediwho and mhdena like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
You sure you know what you're doing? The process is basically identical. Download the Grubhub app (just like you did with Uber), create a user account (just like you did with uber), add your appropriate Amex payment method (just like you did with Uber)...and you're done. Forever. Go order some sushi, pick up, and enjoy $10 off per month. Amex recognizes the backend transaction and credits within a few days. Worked like a charm.
I presume you can also set up account (Grubhub) on the website, and it works the same?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by vincewy
I presume you can also set up account (Grubhub) on the website, and it works the same?
Yup! Grubhub or seamless work. Just put your card on the website or app and you’ll be getting credits every month. Works great with pickup, which is how I generally order lunch.

I also got an Amex offer for one additional MR at seamless, so I’m currently getting 5x on seamless, 10% back on first 500 of dining and the 10/month credit. As someone who was obsessed with the CSR, this was a pretty brilliant way to get this urban (older) millennial’s US dining spend.

Maybe Amex was worried when me and a lot of my friends sock drawered the SPG card. Amex used to get 30k of spending from me on the delta reserve and that’d be it, but now Amex is back to being a daily card for me.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RedSun
This, along with the Saks shopping credit, is one of the most absurd benefits we've seen. They are so narrow focused and force people to change the lifestyle or habit.

At least for the Uber credit, you can just add the card to your account and forget about it. Low maintenance. But this dining credit is not like that.
Seriously?

It IS like the Uber credit. I clicked the button to sign up. All I have to do is use Grubhub, and I get the credit automatically.

I'd never used Grubhub, but there are lots of places near me, including places where I often eat anyhow. Tried it out last weekend--no problem. It's nice to be able to sit at my computer and mull over the menu rather than standing in line. Grubhub even sent me a $7 coupon before I made the order, so i still have credit left over.

I think this is a pretty great way to get half of your annual fee credited back. It means your actual cost is just $30/year, and you can easily use that up in other Amex discount offers. So a free card, and you get quad points on virtually all food. (Now, if they didn't have the Grubhub option, it'd be a lot harder for me to use it. In fact, if they removed that, I might think about canceling.)
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Yup! Grubhub or seamless work. Just put your card on the website or app and you’ll be getting credits every month. Works great with pickup, which is how I generally order lunch.

I also got an Amex offer for one additional MR at seamless, so I’m currently getting 5x on seamless, 10% back on first 500 of dining and the 10/month credit. As someone who was obsessed with the CSR, this was a pretty brilliant way to get this urban (older) millennial’s US dining spend.

You can also get additional MR at Grubhub when you sign up. In addition you can double dip when you sign up and get first orders at both spots.

I'm just thinking how I have spent all the money at places I've ordered before and never taken advantage of the points and perks. Well, better late than never.

Last edited by vincewy; Oct 26, 2018 at 12:42 am
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Another data point, I requested the Rose Gold card for my wife on 10/6. I got mine (authorized user) about a week later. My wife's came on 10/24 by regular mail. Amex said they had shipped it on 10/12.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I'd never used Grubhub, but there are lots of places near me, including places where I often eat anyhow. Tried it out last weekend--no problem. It's nice to be able to sit at my computer and mull over the menu rather than standing in line. Grubhub even sent me a $7 coupon before I made the order, so i still have credit left over.
Yeah I think some of the older hats are a bit confused by Grubhub. Unless you only dine-in or eat out at a high-end sit down restaurant for EVERY SINGLE ONE of your monthly meals (or you live in some random place that's not on this never ending list of service areas), then you only have yourself to blame for not getting the free $120/yr from Amex. I know we may have some hoity-toity, personal chef Centurion/Plat users on here but do you never order a pizza for your kids from a local pizza shop? Or pick up some noodles from a Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese place? All of these places will be on Grubhub.
kennycrudup and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:05 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

It is not older or younger. Some people never order food. Some people order food everyday. Some may get a maid to cook for them. Some people never eat fresh vegetable, etc.... People are all different. We all have our own lifestyles. And we should respect all that.

It is just fruitless to tell other people what they should be doing. This is the situation I see all over the place....
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I understand the MCC part (which is why I edited my post) and that that's the overriding factor.

I was trying (poorly) to convey that it shouldn't be surprising that a food truck wouldn't classify as a restaurant.

You're too quick on the draw, gengar. ^
It's a bit of a gray area imo. Why do coffee shops count as restaurants/dining and not food trucks? Both serve fresh food.

But as others have pointed out, most square merchants don't select their category, so we are all SOL.

Originally Posted by mia
Contactless payment worked as expected at Whole Foods Market. (Cashier was astonished. )
Originally Posted by 355F1
Works at Denny's too!

I'm on the road working so I figured I'd try it.

The cashier was in awe....haha/
Exact opposite when I go to Canada. It's contactless everywhere and people give you weird looks if you swipe, since then you also have to sign a printed receipt.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Exact opposite when I go to Canada. It's contactless everywhere and people give you weird looks if you swipe, since then you also have to sign a printed receipt.
Are you sure? I went to Canada, Montreal area early this year. At restaurant, waiters carried mobile card reader to our table and swiped the CC. All the restaurants I recall, even the Fairmont hotel. They swiped or used the chip. Of course my Ritz Carlton card is hard metal, not contactless.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:13 pm

anyone else notice an increased minimum order for most of your local restaurants? I'm in southern CA and just went to grub hub to order. Just about everything has an increased minimum order to $40.

Ordered something last week and this wasn't the case, so it seems new. I only started using Grub Hub because of this card, so i have no experience prior to this month. Still working through a couple promos Grub Hub sent me that ( in my opinion ) make it worth using, otherwise the plan was just to use it once a month for the amex credit. I'm fine with that, but if the minimum order just bumped to $40 for most restaurants, then that makes this completely unusable for me ( and I assume most other people ).
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
It has always been an issue. The category shows "Restaurants" and you get no bonus. It's not a new issue.
Anyone knows how to get this resolved? I’ve not been the most impressed by Amex customer service. I called up over a few restaurant transactions that should qualify for the 20% credit... (note that I double checked that all these transactions were coded correctly)
​​​​​
1st agent: those restaurants without credit have not finalized the charge yet: I need to wait 2-4 weeks (as per t&c) for charges to finalize

2nd agent: restaurant may not be considered restaurant even though billing statement classifies it as restaurant (?) because not all restaurants are the same

Anyone has better luck? I’ve not checked for 4x MR points posting correctly but at this point I’m skeptical as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.