Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:17 pm

Ugh, still haven't gotten my card...pretty annoyed at this point...guess I'm still in the 10 business day window though
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by 355F1
WOah!!!!!!

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME~!!!!!!!
USPS lost then found mine. The outer cardboard box was "open" but the letter inside was not.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Yeah, it just seems like something of a flaw in the overall execution... from Amex's standpoint...especially since more and more and more merchants are moving to 3rd party payment systems like Square and Toast. This issue isn't going anywhere. The benefit loses its luster if it only goes through at 50% of establishments. And I guess I'm still a little fuzzy on how the MCC process works. All of the places that I'm referencing that use Square or Toast categorize on my statement as 'Restaurant - Restaurant' - so since Amex is clearly recognizing the establishments appropriately, why are they, then, not able to give me the bonus points? There's a technical flaw in the upstream MCC code? I feel like I'm in the matrix, you're recognizing it as 'Restaurant-Restaurant' on my statement, so give me the darn 4X!
No Amex UI currently shows these things with 100% certainty. You'll have to wait for statement close. Let's just wait and see.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:52 pm

Mine got shipped out yesterday (received the email) and its arriving today via UPS overnight.,
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Happy
The Preview DOES show the category bonus, but it is NOT immediately. It has a few days delay.

Also you would need to CLICK OPEN the transaction details to see it. There is NO indicator next to the transaction but once you open the details, the frame next to it DOES SHOW the earning if the transaction is posted 4 to 5 days at least.

So far ALL grocery stores and restaurants have been working as expected on my card.

If you are looking for the indicator right next to the transaction, it will NOT show on either preview or the regular format. Those boxes would only show on the CLOSED statement activities.

The other method someone described by checking the upcoming statement activities, do NOT work for my account whether with Firefox or with Chrome. It simply does not show any indicator next to each transaction, the transactions themselves cannot be opened either. But the Preview / open details of transaction,

There is a local grocer specialized in fresh fishes flown in from Caribbeans do NOT earn category bonus on AMEX Cards. It earns the category bonus on ALL Visa cards. So there are a hundred or so grocery spend each month would not benefit from the extra 2 pts from AMEX (TD Visa is 3 at ding 2 at grocery store Worldwide, No AF and 0 forex fee)

I am not convince the $250 AF is worth to pay despite the offsetting airline credit (just piling more GCs into already a pile that has not been used once), plus the $10 monthly credit requires extra effort to earn. Of course others who can easily use those offsetting credits would have a different take.
Same problem with me. I spend couple hundred dollars at a specialty grocery store which is categorized as "market" at visa. This place is a local butcher that does dry aged beef and fresh fish of the day. i haven't had a chance to make a purchase there yet, but i'm hoping it's 4x.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twkidM3
Same problem with me. I spend couple hundred dollars at a specialty grocery store which is categorized as "market" at visa. This place is a local butcher that does dry aged beef and fresh fish of the day. i haven't had a chance to make a purchase there yet, but i'm hoping it's 4x.
The annoying part is, this Caribbean grocer IS shown as Grocery Store on AMEX activity and statement, but it never earns the category bonus on either the EVD or the PRG card (or any AMEX cards that has grocery spend as bonus category). This is the only place in town that has really good, fresh fishes flown up from the islands. It is not always available but when it is available it is of much better quality and freshness than one could find at the local Publix monopoly or Whole Foods and is 10 to 30% cheaper than either big chains. True, the shopping environment is very down to earth but we go for the actual goods not the shopping experiences!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Happy
The annoying part is, this Caribbean grocer IS shown as Grocery Store on AMEX activity and statement, but it never earns the category bonus on either the EVD or the PRG card (or any AMEX cards that has grocery spend as bonus category). This is the only place in town that has really good, fresh fishes flown up from the islands. It is not always available but when it is available it is of much better quality and freshness than one could find at the local Publix monopoly or Whole Foods and is 10 to 30% cheaper than either big chains. True, the shopping environment is very down to earth but we go for the actual goods not the shopping experiences!
right because the categories of amex is actually pretty weird.
i'm guessing your fish place is considered to be 5422. I've charged at the Meat store before on my platinum card and it's categorized as 5422 but it also says Supermarket

5411 Grocery Stores and Supermarkets
5422 Freezer and Locker Meat Provisioners
5441 Candy, Nut, and Confectionery Stores
5451 Dairy Products Stores
5462 Bakeries
5499 Miscellaneous Food Stores - Convenience Stores and Specialty Markets
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I am wondering if the business Gold card will see a refresh next. Point earnings on it seem weak in comparison to the personal card now.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: FB Gold
So here's my quandary :

As an ex-pat living in Germany, I've still held onto my US credit cards due to the attractive perks, rewards, etc.... Combine that with no FX fees, contactless (it works now), I still use my Amex Gold for larger purchases.

Annoyingly with my Amex Gold, I don't get earn anything more than 1x points except for airfare, because the bonus categories are US-specific. I do travel a bit- mostly intra-Europe and perhaps long-haul a couple times a year, so the 3x bonus on flights is nice.

Luckily, my annual fee for next year falls before the increase. But beyond that, I struggle with a $250 annual fee. I was considering moving up to Plat eventually to benefit from the travel perks and 5x airfare.......does that move make any sense ? Because the refresh for Gold means nothing to me as 98% of my spending is now in Europe.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mlin32
So here's my quandary :

As an ex-pat living in Germany, I've still held onto my US credit cards due to the attractive perks, rewards, etc.... Combine that with no FX fees, contactless (it works now), I still use my Amex Gold for larger purchases.

Annoyingly with my Amex Gold, I don't get earn anything more than 1x points except for airfare, because the bonus categories are US-specific. I do travel a bit- mostly intra-Europe and perhaps long-haul a couple times a year, so the 3x bonus on flights is nice.

Luckily, my annual fee for next year falls before the increase. But beyond that, I struggle with a $250 annual fee. I was considering moving up to Plat eventually to benefit from the travel perks and 5x airfare.......does that move make any sense ? Because the refresh for Gold means nothing to me as 98% of my spending is now in Europe.
Based upon the limited data you've provided in this post, I'd say no. To begin to recoup the Plat annual fee you'd need to be able to use the airline credit - that's pretty much limited to US based airlines. It doesn't sound like you fly a lot so the lounge access is going to be a limited benefit for you.

Uber credits? Not applicable outside the US. I suppose you could order from Saks but shipping to Europe would probably offset any benefit you'd realize from the "free" $50 credit(s).

If I had a US address from which I could apply for cards, and lived in Europe, I'd probably look at the CSR or CSP. Easy travel credit redemption on the CSR (plus Priority Pass lounges), bonus categories aren't limited to the US, and (for the CSP) there's no annual fee for the first year.

There is also some degree of travel insurance attached to the Chase cards which you wouldn't receive with the AMEX Plat. In every month except August, that may prove to be a valuable benefit when flying from/to Germany.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

could get free everyday/blue (or blue business with 2X) to keep MR
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlin32
So here's my quandary :

This is based on you have a US address that allows you to get US issued credit cards.

Get a no fee AMEX MR card such as the Business Plus (no forex fee and earns 2x on anything) or the Everyday (not very useful for you based outside US) to keep your MR pts alive.

Then look OUTSIDE AMEX to find a card that would make sense for you for your spend.

For the travel expenses, the Chase Sapphire series is worth for you to explore. Read the Sticky on Apply Chase Cards in the Chase forum before you proceed to do any new card application so you would not jinx yourself.

For the day to day spend outside travel / dining, you may want to take a look of CapitalOne's Quick Silver - 1.5% cash rebate on anything, 0% forex fee, 0 AF, better exchange rate than Chase's Visa due to CapOne does not pass along the Visa network fee.
CapOne also has a new Savor card that first year fee waived, $500 sign up bonus for $3K spend. 4x dining and entertainment, 2% grocery. No cap. 0% forex fee. 2nd year the fee is $95. (so may be only good for the first year).
The beauty of CapOne's cards is, your earnings are posted the same time the transactions posted, and the $ credit is redeemable immediately upon posting, at any amount - as a statement credit / or check.

TD Bank has a cash rebate card for 3% dining 2% grocery, 1% everything else - Worldwide. 0% forex fee, no AF. Same redemption mechanism as CapOne's cash rebate cards, but has a $25 threshold for redemption.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:41 am

My wife received her Rose gold card. She's an authorized user on my acct. Her card came without the contact less card. I never even requested it. Mine came contact less. The none contact less card looks better with a smaller chip
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twkidM3
right because the categories of amex is actually pretty weird.
i'm guessing your fish place is considered to be 5422. I've charged at the Meat store before on my platinum card and it's categorized as 5422 but it also says Supermarket

5411 Grocery Stores and Supermarkets
5422 Freezer and Locker Meat Provisioners
5441 Candy, Nut, and Confectionery Stores
5451 Dairy Products Stores
5462 Bakeries
5499 Miscellaneous Food Stores - Convenience Stores and Specialty Markets
I dont know the MCC, but this year it shows as
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries
Description GROCERY STORES, SUP
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Received the rose gold cards. Good for lady. I do not want to carry it in my wallet. I chose to carry the classy plastic gold card, along with the Chase CSR, Ritz and AmEx Plat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.