Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I went from 0 interest in Membership Rewards to signing up and being approved for the new PRG. It'll replace my CSR on US dining, but I do have one question for the MR veterans - how liberal is Amex's definition of dining? Does it include bars that don't serve food? The CSR is very liberal with bars and nightclub establishments / concession stands at ballparks. Is Amex the same way?
It's definitely not "liberal" in my experiences. In terms of ballpark - I did not receive bonuses here in Philly at Citizen's Bank Park (authorized as Aramark Citizens Bank Park and coded as "Business Services - Other Services") which is kind of lame. That just might be an Aramark data point, though. I receive 4X at the Starbucks next to my house, but the cafe across the street: zilch. Doesn't Amex have a massive marketing spend around supporting Small Businesses? What's the deal? All the chains code in w/ bonuses, and so many locals don't...

Last edited by mia; Oct 15, 2018 at 11:05 am Reason: formatting
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
It's definitely not "liberal" in my experiences. In terms of ballpark - I did not receive bonuses here in Philly at Citizen's Bank Park (authorized as Aramark Citizens Bank Park and coded as "Business Services - Other Services") which is kind of lame. That just might be an Aramark data point, though. I receive 4X at the Starbucks next to my house, but the cafe across the street: zilch. Doesn't Amex have a massive marketing spend around supporting Small Businesses? What's the deal? All the chains code in w/ bonuses, and so many locals don't...
Do you have a Chase card with dining earning bonus? There are many dining establishments, particularly cafes and bakeries, that do not trigger the dining earning bonus with a Chase card.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mia

If you expand the entry you can see the classification. What does your gastropub's entry say?
Here's two recent examples. Top one got me the 4X, the bottom one did not. Both are in a category that says Restaurant - Restaurant. The transaction details are different (one says FOOD, the other says RESTAURANTS). I know it's all about the coding, but the irony is the top example is a small, corner gastro pub and the bottom one where I did not receive any bonuses is a large Center City restaurant. Which sucks, because if this is how the coding goes I'm going to miss out on thousands of bonus points per year.

Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Even though the bonus points are not showing at this stage, they may be awarded when the points actually post (a month after the statement closes). If not, this would be a good example to present to customer service, but in my experience they won't do anything until the points post.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Here's two recent examples. Top one got me the 4X, the bottom one did not. Both are in a category that says Restaurant - Restaurant. The transaction details are different (one says FOOD, the other says RESTAURANTS). I know it's all about the coding, but the irony is the top example is a small, corner gastro pub and the bottom one where I did not receive any bonuses is a large Center City restaurant. Which sucks, because if this is how the coding goes I'm going to miss out on thousands of bonus points per year.
I'll be curious to hear what you earn after the statement posts. Your bottom transaction, the restaurant seems to be using Toast as its POS system which may be causing an issue with the bonus points being awarded which feels like a similar issue that people are reporting at restaurants/bars that use Square.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:12 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Javier1704
Hi everyone,

So, I finally received my gold card (after 10 days of applying) thanks to UPS losing it and taking a week to find the package.

WOah!!!!!!

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME~!!!!!!!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Win some, loose some...
Happens a lot to me when i'm traveling with Chase Reserve. Lots of fine dining located in shopping malls, hotels, and etc.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'll be curious to hear what you earn after the statement posts. Your bottom transaction, the restaurant seems to be using Toast as its POS system which may be causing an issue with the bonus points being awarded which feels like a similar issue that people are reporting at restaurants/bars that use Square.
I have some weird Toast Data Points. Below are grabs from the exact same restaurant, and purchases a week apart. Both register as TST* (Toast) on my posted transactions but when I go into details an interesting quirk emerges. On the one from Oct 6th - when I did NOT received my 4X bonus - the Restaurant name is labeled as TST* TRIA TAPROOM. The one from a week earlier is labeled simply as TRIA TAPROOM and I DID receive my bonus (it was 2X at the time). Same restaurant, 1 week a part, different results. Thanks TOAST!

From October 6th:

From September 29th (pre 4X bonus changeover).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I have some weird Toast Data Points. Below are grabs from the exact same restaurant, and purchases a week apart. Both register as TST* (Toast) on my posted transactions but when I go into details an interesting quirk emerges. On the one from Oct 6th - when I did NOT received my 4X bonus - the Restaurant name is labeled as TST* TRIA TAPROOM. The one from a week earlier is labeled simply as TRIA TAPROOM and I DID receive my bonus (it was 2X at the time). Same restaurant, 1 week a part, different results. Thanks TOAST!

From October 6th:

it could be that they have 2 processing companies. One built into the POS system for orders and one that is separate for quicker transactions
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:04 pm

From October 6th:

Visa locator is simple, works and CSR matches category as expected
https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator...pplier-locator

Amex Vicinity isn't as simple (can only search for specific categories)
http://amexvicinity.com

When I try your TAPROOM @ 19103, it finds "TST* TRIA TAPROOM" but not "TRIA TAPROOM"

fun ...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Amex,AS,DL,Marriott,Hilton
Originally Posted by Javier1704
Hi everyone,

So, I finally received my gold card (after 10 days of applying) thanks to UPS losing it and taking a week to find the package.

I applied through a referral link that gave me an offer of 50,000 MRs after spending $2,000 within the first three months of account opening. Looking at my card member agreement, I noticed that the annual fee says $195 instead of $250 (I applied on October 4th). Does anyone knows if this is a system error or if that will be the annual at least for the first year?
I didn't even check my card member agreement. Now I wonder what my annual fee is. I applied via a referral link on October 4th, too. So far, I haven't been charged for the annual fee
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Explorer789
So I may have figured out how to get this showing without waiting for statement close. If you go directly to the Statements and Activity tab, it does not show the multipliers.

But if you go to Home tab > scroll down > in the Account Activity box, there will be a link like "View Oct 20 Statement", click that > you may get a popup saying something like there is nothing for this period and it will load what looks like the normal "Statements and Activity" view. Actually, you should now see the multipliers for purchases posted more than a week ago.

Looks like Amex IT is still sorting out the bugs. Hopefully this trick will reduce anxiety for some people.
Thank you for this. I had previously been using the Activity -> Preview New Version -> Click individual transaction to see bonus, but I just noticed that this stopped working or is at least very inconsistent. Your way is showing everything right off the bat, and most importantly, showing that everything was being accurately coded. At least so far.

Is there any way to do this for past statements? The paper statements don't show. I seem to remember being able to do this at one point, but either I forgot, or it changed.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Nightclubs typically merchant category code as restaurants. The merchant category code - and the merchant category code only - is what should trigger the bonus.

As above - if the Square merchant has chosen a restaurant MCC, then AMEX better be giving 4x points. Problems arise when Square merchants don't put in the right MCC (or don't put one in at all). IME, many Square merchants in my area that primarily (or only) sell prepared food code as grocery stores for some reason, so I don't get bonuses on my CSR.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ards-info.html. Read the fine print. People should not expect 4x points with Amex Gold and square. If it works sometimes...it mostly does not.

Originally Posted by Jrc1896

I made a purchase at a cafe the other day and paid via Square. The preview for the transaction is showing 4X, are you sure this is 100% true?
It could work sometimes I suppose. Read here : https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ards-info.html
My own personal experience shows that Amex Gold / Square does not result in 4x points. Hopefully they will fix this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 16, 2018 at 4:41 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Announcement4u
... and the fine print says "in most cases". Not sure what your point is.

In fact, the examples listed of other "in most cases" in that section include cases where the MCC explicitly won't be a bonus-earning category (i.e., charges through third parties who won't be coded appropriately), which is precisely the point I've been trying to make in my last few posts.

If a Square merchant isn't coded as an MCC for which bonus points are earned, the bonus isn't going to trigger and it shouldn't be expected to. That's a merchant problem, not an AMEX problem. The key (and only) issue is if a Square merchant is coded as a bonus-earning MCC and the bonus isn't given.

Last edited by gengar; Oct 15, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
... and the fine print says "in most cases". Not sure what your point is.

In fact, the examples listed of other "in most cases" in that section include cases where the MCC explicitly won't be a bonus-earning category (i.e., charges through third parties who won't be coded appropriately), which is precisely the point I've been trying to make in my last few posts.

If a Square merchant isn't coded as an MCC for which bonus points are earned, the bonus isn't going to trigger and it shouldn't be expected to. That's a merchant problem, not an AMEX problem. The key (and only) issue is if a Square merchant is coded as a bonus-earning MCC and the bonus isn't given.
ok man. This is obviously an issue or people wouldn’t be complaining about it. Buyer beware is all I am saying (and Amex says the same). Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.