Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im not understanding how contactless is supposed to work now

5 years ago i just held card up and it always worked fine

so far cashiers have only seen 'app' pay rather than contactless cards

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 14, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Announcement4u

Remember Amex Gold will not code as 4x if the location uses Square.

I made a purchase at a cafe the other day and paid via Square. The preview for the transaction is showing 4X, are you sure this is 100% true?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so far cashiers have only seen 'app' pay rather than contactless cards
Not really a surprise considering that issuers haven't really bothered rolling them out until recently (and even then, they're pretty uncommon).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

apparently there are many different forms

im assuming the old amex expresspay is a different technology?
SPG Amex - now with ExpressPay!

amex now has new technology that works completely differently?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 15, 2018 at 9:11 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Jrc1896

I made a purchase at a cafe the other day and paid via Square. The preview for the transaction is showing 4X, are you sure this is 100% true?
Multiple transactions plus Amex calls this out specifically on their rewards website. I can’t post the link because I am too new to FT.

this is not unique to Amex Gold.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

removed
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:16 pm

Don't believe this is true...I definitely got 2x at Restaurants when Square was POS system

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I fully embrace the NYC stereotype where my oven is used as storage ... and also there's so many good noodle shops, salad spots, mexican restaurants and sushi available on Seamless that are close by.
Yeah, we try to cook but we have too many great restaurants within walking distance to not take advantage

Originally Posted by Jrc1896
A couple of different data points with Square/Apple Pay usage:
  • I used Apple Pay and my AMEX at a Square POS unit - coded as Category: Restaurant - Bar & Café = 1x
  • Caviar via Apply Pay - coded as: Category: Restaurant - Restaurant = 4x
  • Seamless via using Card # - coded as Category: Restaurant - Restaurant = 4x

Also, for my Dining Credit DP:
  • Used Seamless as a new user in app on 10/10 - the $10 credit shows posted on 10/13
    • Posted as "AMEX Dining Credit"
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

apparently there are many different forms

im assuming the old amex expresspay is a different technology?
SPG Amex - now with ExpressPay!

amex now has new technology that works completely differently?
There was an older RFID card standard (at least on Visa and Discover) but I don't think anyone uses that anymore. I don't recall what AmEx used before.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

now supposed to literally tap card somehow rather than holding it near reader?

seems odd to have some kind of tap or other motion rather than just proximity
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
now supposed to literally tap card ....
No. Just hold the card near the sensor.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Meaning it's necessary to have a rfid secure wallet.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I went from 0 interest in Membership Rewards to signing up and being approved for the new PRG. It'll replace my CSR on US dining, but I do have one question for the MR veterans - how liberal is Amex's definition of dining? Does it include bars that don't serve food? The CSR is very liberal with bars and nightclub establishments / concession stands at ballparks. Is Amex the same way?
Nightclubs typically merchant category code as restaurants. The merchant category code - and the merchant category code only - is what should trigger the bonus.

As above - if the Square merchant has chosen a restaurant MCC, then AMEX better be giving 4x points. Problems arise when Square merchants don't put in the right MCC (or don't put one in at all). IME, many Square merchants in my area that primarily (or only) sell prepared food code as grocery stores for some reason, so I don't get bonuses on my CSR.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twkidM3
Meaning it's necessary to have a rfid secure wallet.
Other forums have confirmed that it is possible to request a non-contactless version of the PRG, if you truly want one. Consider this, though:
  1. Real-world range is only a few inches at most. (Yes, I'm aware that it is possible to extend this further, but I haven't heard of such attacks happening outside of research groups.)
  2. The data read from the card wirelessly isn't enough to create a clone of the card, nor actually run transactions. For instance, online transactions typically still need the billing address and/or the CID on the front of the card, not to mention that the dynamic CVV generated on the chip is different for each in-person transaction.
  3. Using contactless isn't going to bypass any authentication that may occur when inserting/swiping (thanks to AmEx US not doing chip and PIN and eliminating the signature requirement).
  4. Our fraud liability is still zero and merchants don't assume additional liability due to customers tapping. If contactless truly caused that many fraud losses for AmEx, it would not be an option on any card in any country.
Who knows, though, perhaps AmEx will end up eliminating it again in a few years due to Americans using mobile wallets a lot more than tapping physical cards.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
See, I would have tried to fix the issues at Apple Pay launch partners before release rather than take that approach.

Also, while people would just insert if their contactless cards don't work, they will blame AmEx instead of individual stores if it happens often enough. In the worse case, it might turn people off from contactless altogether; they've already had a hard enough time getting people to use mobile wallets. If merchant acceptance is that big of an issue on the mobile wallet side, contactless cards should either have been MSD only too or not been offered.
I don't think it was from lack of trying on Amex's part - moreso beyond their control. As for the physical cards, I think the data from other markets would suggest otherwise. In Canada for example, when contactless was just starting to become more universal, people would still face issues tapping occasionally, but eventually they will keep trying to use it as it becomes more widespread. (Even today Amex contactless worldwide is more spotty than Visa and MC).

Multiple transactions plus Amex calls this out specifically on their rewards website. I can’t post the link because I am too new to FT.

this is not unique to Amex Gold.
Nothing to do with Square and everything to do with the MCC the merchant set up. I have lots of examples of getting the 2x (now 4x) bonus at Square restaurant merchants.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
FWIW, the contactless chip on my SPG Luxury card is inoperative.

The new rose gold PRG contactless works.

So I'd test it somehow first (I used an Android phone I had lying around with the NFC Tag app).

As for Square, I have multiple transactions where Square coded as "Restaurant - Bar & Cafe" (for Blue Bottle Coffee in SF) isn't showing 4x online. But I don't think it's 100% accurate until the statement closes and you can see the bonus points awarded under Membership Rewards -> Points Summary. Will be interesting to find out. The CSR earns 3x there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.