Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
So I may have figured out how to get this showing without waiting for statement close. If you go directly to the Statements and Activity tab, it does not show the multipliers.

But if you go to Home tab > scroll down > in the Account Activity box, there will be a link like "View Oct 20 Statement", click that > you may get a popup saying something like there is nothing for this period and it will load what looks like the normal "Statements and Activity" view. Actually, you should now see the multipliers for purchases posted more than a week ago.

Looks like Amex IT is still sorting out the bugs. Hopefully this trick will reduce anxiety for some people.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by gengar
If it works like other AMEX credits, AUs are eligible for the credit but still only one credit per account.

EDIT: Explicitly in the benefit T&Cs on the food benefit:
Purchases by both the Basic Card Member and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits.
Thanks... I believed the Amex Plat credit for Uber is for the Primary Cardholder only, as is the Airline credit. If the dining credit actually can apply to charges from an AU such as my son, this would be different from current credits I get on the Plat. Or maybe I have misunderstood the Amex Plat credit scenario all this time. And I am talking about only the $10/mo credit, not the 4X point allocation.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by xooz
Thanks... I believed the Amex Plat credit for Uber is for the Primary Cardholder only, as is the Airline credit. If the dining credit actually can apply to charges from an AU such as my son, this would be different from current credits I get on the Plat. Or maybe I have misunderstood the Amex Plat credit scenario all this time. And I am talking about only the $10/mo credit, not the 4X point allocation.
The Uber credit is different because the amount is credited up front each month directly to the Uber account, as opposed to being credited by AMEX post-purchase. (This can be beneficial because then the Plat doesn't have to be used for payment.)

The airline incidentals credit works the same way as the dining credit, as per the Plat T&Cs:
Incidental air travel fees charged by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits.
Note that benefits like the GE credit work the same way, meaning that the $175 AU fee is greatly reduced if you have multiple AUs with different calendar year GE renewals.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:42 am

Well, I got the email that my card shipped today :facepalm: (well its "on its way")

No idea when its going to show up - website still says 10/11
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I went from 0 interest in Membership Rewards to signing up and being approved for the new PRG. It'll replace my CSR on US dining, but I do have one question for the MR veterans - how liberal is Amex's definition of dining? Does it include bars that don't serve food? The CSR is very liberal with bars and nightclub establishments / concession stands at ballparks. Is Amex the same way?

I also agree with the millennial focused perception on this product - i use Seamless/Grubhub 10-20 times a month (mostly for takeout in my neighborhood - easier than calling in) so the credit became a "no brainer" to me and several friends I told the card about. Now my wallet of daily cards include CSR, CFU, PRG and WOH / SPG Amex / Amtrak / Delta Amex Reserve when necessary.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I requested mine the night of 10/3 and got a 10/13 expected arrival date confirmation email. I did eventually get a card shipped email on 10/9, it says it shipped via USPS. I guess we'll see if the 10/13 ETA holds up.
I contacted customer service via the chat function. Couldn't even give me a date as they been flooded with new card requests.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
....Amex's definition of dining? Does it include bars.... daily cards include CSR, CFU, PRG and WOH / SPG Amex / Amtrak / Delta Amex Reserve when necessary.
Some (incomplete) information here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fo/retail.html

You also will NOT earn additional rewards at nightclubs,

Compare Chase Freedom Unlimited against American Express Blue Business Plus:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-referral.html
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I went from 0 interest in Membership Rewards to signing up and being approved for the new PRG. It'll replace my CSR on US dining, but I do have one question for the MR veterans - how liberal is Amex's definition of dining? Does it include bars that don't serve food? The CSR is very liberal with bars and nightclub establishments / concession stands at ballparks. Is Amex the same way?

I also agree with the millennial focused perception on this product - i use Seamless/Grubhub 10-20 times a month (mostly for takeout in my neighborhood - easier than calling in) so the credit became a "no brainer" to me and several friends I told the card about. Now my wallet of daily cards include CSR, CFU, PRG and WOH / SPG Amex / Amtrak / Delta Amex Reserve when necessary.
There are these places called supermarkets you know (or grocery stores). Would save you a ton of money every month.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
There are these places called supermarkets you know (or grocery stores). Would save you a ton of money every month.
... judgy judgy ...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by lax01
... judgy judgy ...
Only joking around of course.
lax01 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Magna
Why does Apple Pay code correctly and sometimes doesn't?
There should not be any different between using the physical card or a digital wallet from Amex's perspective when it comes to awarding MR points or qualifying for Amex offers. Sometimes two locations of the same business may have different merchant category codes for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by tmiw
I don't think anyone knows why AmEx sets up mobile wallets differently than contactless on physical cards.
The answer I was able to get a couple of years ago from a contact I had at Amex (and just getting an answer from someone senior enough at Amex is challenging enough) was that when they were testing Apple Pay in the US prior to its launch in late 2014, their experience was it worked far more reliably when the 'card' did not support EMV mode. There were far more failures at the terminal level using an EMV mode enabled card (even though MSD mode was being used). Walgreens was a big one where it failed if EMV mode was supported prior to them actually enabling EMV on their terminals, and considering they were a 'launch partner' with Apple, it wouldn't look good if the service didn't actually work. You of course would likely recall that sorry state of contactless terminal functionality in the US back in 2014-2015.

As to why the physical cards have full EMV mode support - the answer was if tapping the physical card failed, the user still has their card in their hand and will simply switch to inserting or swiping it. If a digital wallet like Apple Pay failed, the user now has to either get the physical card out of their wallet (assuming they have it with them at all), or more likely may try a different card brand and conclude Amex Apple Pay (or Google etc) doesn't work properly or reliably.

They absolutely know this current setup hinders international acceptance, but the choice was made to make US acceptance of digital wallet payments more reliable. All my contact was able to say was the long term plan is to update the US cards in digital wallets to support EMV mode in line with other markets, but had no timeline. They are unfortunately no longer with Amex so I can't reach out to them anymore to see if anything has changed.

Originally Posted by lax01
Update - my replacement (requested morning PST on 10/4) Gold card still says today for expected delivery. Reached out to CSR via chat and she said it had shipped (even though I never got an email that it shipped). I'm sort of curious if it will show up in my mailbox today or tomorrow.'
Originally Posted by trikotret
Where does it say expect delivery. My wife shows card requested on Oct 4 with address. No other info. I asked chat team and dude said cards take between 10-12 business days cause of demand
Originally Posted by cwh82
Mine only says Requested Oct 4, Shipping Method: USPS. No expected delivery date and I haven't received an email saying it's shipped. Guess it hasn't even shipped yet.
I requested on 4 Oct, no option to expedite. I called today (13 Oct) and they said it was mailed on the 12th. Even if they tried to replace the replacement there is no option for them to expedite. They did give me 5,000 MR points for waiting though.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I fully embrace the NYC stereotype where my oven is used as storage ... and also there's so many good noodle shops, salad spots, mexican restaurants and sushi available on Seamless that are close by

Originally Posted by mia
Some (incomplete) information here:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fo/retail.html
So it seems fair to say that Amex isn't as liberal as Chase? The restaurant inside a hotel disclaimer is interesting - I guess I've never paid much attention to it on my CSR since it earns 3x regardless, but often it does code as travel. I'll focus on using the Gold Card on stand alone US restaurants and bars with food and when in doubt, I'll use the CSR, especially since nightclubs are specifically excluded.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Explorer789
This is what I was thinking as well and you confirmed it. I am just waiting for the first statement to close in a couple of weeks, because that's the one that really matters and not the rest of the website. If it was not showing correctly on the statement, then there would be cause for concern that the points are not being correctly tallied.
Remember Amex Gold will not code as 4x if the location uses Square.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
The answer I was able to get a couple of years ago from a contact I had at Amex (and just getting an answer from someone senior enough at Amex is challenging enough) was that when they were testing Apple Pay in the US prior to its launch in late 2014, their experience was it worked far more reliably when the 'card' did not support EMV mode. There were far more failures at the terminal level using an EMV mode enabled card (even though MSD mode was being used). Walgreens was a big one where it failed if EMV mode was supported prior to them actually enabling EMV on their terminals, and considering they were a 'launch partner' with Apple, it wouldn't look good if the service didn't actually work. You of course would likely recall that sorry state of contactless terminal functionality in the US back in 2014-2015.

As to why the physical cards have full EMV mode support - the answer was if tapping the physical card failed, the user still has their card in their hand and will simply switch to inserting or swiping it. If a digital wallet like Apple Pay failed, the user now has to either get the physical card out of their wallet (assuming they have it with them at all), or more likely may try a different card brand and conclude Amex Apple Pay (or Google etc) doesn't work properly or reliably.

They absolutely know this current setup hinders international acceptance, but the choice was made to make US acceptance of digital wallet payments more reliable. All my contact was able to say was the long term plan is to update the US cards in digital wallets to support EMV mode in line with other markets, but had no timeline. They are unfortunately no longer with Amex so I can't reach out to them anymore to see if anything has changed.
See, I would have tried to fix the issues at Apple Pay launch partners before release rather than take that approach.

Also, while people would just insert if their contactless cards don't work, they will blame AmEx instead of individual stores if it happens often enough. In the worse case, it might turn people off from contactless altogether; they've already had a hard enough time getting people to use mobile wallets. If merchant acceptance is that big of an issue on the mobile wallet side, contactless cards should either have been MSD only too or not been offered.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
Do we know if the various credits ($100 airline credit, monthly dining credit, or the 10% back on dining as part of the signup bonus) reduce spend towards MSR?
Use the right terminology and the answer should be self-evident then.

Amex never mentions "spend" in its signup T&Cs. It's a minimum amount of "purchases" (not "spend"). What doesn't count is reversal of purchases (say, returns or disputes).

Payments you make are a form of credit, and obviously they do not negate "purchases".

These credits the Gold card gives are no different (in general) than the annual airline incidental credits which have been on the PRG and Plat for many years, nor different from limited-time Amex offers (that give statement credit for some activity) which have been around on most Amex cards for years. I see no reason to believe that suddenly on this card refresh it's all going to work differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.