Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce
I'm one of the unlucky people that doesn't have Grubhub or seamless in my town, nor do I have a Cheesecake factory, Ruths, or Shake shack. What are my options or am I SOL?

Has anyone tried buying an online gift card yet to see if it triggers the credit? Cheesecake Factory and Shake Shack allow you to buy $10 gift cards where Ruth Chris has a $25 minimum.
Buy for friend / family member in another town.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I have never, ever, had a situation where any additional travel delay/interruption insurance would have helped me. I guess from a peace of mind perspective I can understand it would be a big deal for people, but I just never run into a situation where it would have made any difference. I do think Amex should offer it, because like you say it is a high annual fee travel card, but it just isn't something I've ever found myself using and I've been in trips plagued by hurricanes and typhoons.

Now, what the American Express Platinum does offer is emergency evacuation insurance, with no cost cap, and without even having to have used it to book the trip you're on. That is a benefit that is, as far as I know, unmatched by any credit card anywhere else in the world and one that most certainly gives me more peace of mind than any delay insurance might. I had a family member have a minor medical emergency on a cruise earlier this year and Amex was very helpful in orchestrating medical help ashore at no cost to us, though luckily it didn't require a full fledged evacuation and the trip was concluded normally.

Definitely wish Amex would offer it, but it's hardly a dealbreaker and I'd much rather use my various Amex cards to book travel than I would using a CSR/CSP just on the off chance I need the delay insurance.
So, it sounds like you don't see much value in trip interruption insurance because you've never had a trip interrupted. Well, I could just as easily say that I don't see the value in emergency medical evacuation insurance because I've never had to be medically evacuated. Insurance is worthless until you need it. Then you realize either how glad you were that you had it, or how much you regret not getting it.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Does having a card as an AU preclude you from getting a bonus for a card on your own account in the future?
No.

....if I can get the 50K bonus to show up.....
No need. Just use a referral offer:

American Express Referral Offers (Read Wiki before posting).
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by mia
Just a reminder that one can now use referral links to apply for any card that comes up as available. The person who generated the original referral link will still get the same bonus, regardless of which card is eventually obtained.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
how do I check if I receive 4x on my charge? I'm looking at the online account, does AMEX shows the point earning after it's been posted? Or do I have to wait for the statement? Doesn't seem to have an effective way like Chase where they say this transaction gives 4x/3x/1x... Kind of annoying.

Last edited by twkidM3; Oct 12, 2018 at 8:52 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:00 am
mia

Originally Posted by twkidM3
how do I check if I receive 4x on my charge? ....
Asked and answered earlier in the thread. Read THIS post.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
So, it sounds like you don't see much value in trip interruption insurance because you've never had a trip interrupted. Well, I could just as easily say that I don't see the value in emergency medical evacuation insurance because I've never had to be medically evacuated. Insurance is worthless until you need it. Then you realize either how glad you were that you had it, or how much you regret not getting it.
The way I read his comments and based on my experience is that it's very hard to get much economic benefits out of the Trip delay or travel insurance because either airlines would pay for your hotel stays, or the delay won't be significant enough or the tickets are not expensive enough to do to a doctor to get a certificate (pay copay, deductible, etc.). Essentially with trip delay/travel insurance, your downside would average around $500 and once you adjust for probability of it happening and the joint probability of you getting the benefit is much much lower. Second, $500 is not going to make or break you, if it did we won't be having multiple CC with more than $450 AF. Compare that to medical evacuation that could run over $100,000. Sure, the probability of that happening is hopefully much much lower than one needing travel or trip delay insurance, but $100K is a large number for most people.
Statman, IndyHoosier and RumPatrol like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: United Plat
Have a PLAT. By knowing I won't get any bonus offers, I still decided to apply the new Gold this morning. Got this message:

Oops, we're sorry. This offer is not available at this time.

Too popular to accept new applications?

Edit: application went through by using a different way.

Last edited by sfo3388; Oct 12, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:40 am
mia

Originally Posted by jediwho
....hard to get much economic benefits out of the Trip delay or travel insurance because either airlines would pay for your hotel stays, or the delay won't be significant enough or the tickets are not expensive enough.....
Agreed. Award tickets are superior to discounted fares because most programs allow miles to be redeposited for a small fee. The serious expense comes when you need to re-book the flight, if there is no saver award seat availability, but most credit card insurance doesn't cover the cost of the new ticket, only the cost of the redeposit fees, change fees, or unused non refundable revenue ticket.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Have a PLAT. By knowing I won't get any bonus offers, I still decided to apply the new Gold this morning. Got this message:

Oops, we're sorry. This offer is not available at this time.

Too popular to accept new applications?

Edit: application went through by using a different way.
I have a Platinum as well. When logged into my account I navigated to apply for the gold card. No offer was provided. The odd thing was the button didn't say apply, it said upgrade. I was afraid AMEX was going to product change my Platinum. So I called in to apply.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:41 pm

Do we know if the various credits ($100 airline credit, monthly dining credit, or the 10% back on dining as part of the signup bonus) reduce spend towards MSR?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL GM
I requested mine the night of 10/3 and got a 10/13 expected arrival date confirmation email. I did eventually get a card shipped email on 10/9, it says it shipped via USPS. I guess we'll see if the 10/13 ETA holds up.
UPDATE: Metal card (regular gold) arrived today in a standard envelope, it also arrived with a reply envelope to mail back a metal card for disposal, which is unnecessary in this situation but I do appreciate it. I'll hold on to the envelope for future use. I'm not exactly sure where this card was mailed from, it wasn't in the usual plain white envelope with a return address in Nebraska like the last few Amex cards I've gotten. If I didn't know what it was, I'd have thought it was one of Amex's personal loan ads that I get every other week.

Interestingly, in addition to the security code being different, the expiration month/year is also different, which seems like it might cause some problems for some people. My expiration year went from 22 to 23 and obviously the expiration month is now October, which I assume it will be for everyone else now. For those of you with existing PRG accounts requesting the metal card, make sure you double check your new card's expiration date.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
I've had MANY trip delays and interruptions actually, including being caught in a signal 10 typhoon just last year. In none of those situations would Chase's travel delay/interruption insurance or any other travel delay/interruption insurance have helped me. Chase's trip delay reimbursement is capped at $500 per ticket. While $500 isn't nothing, it is hardly make it or break it money and realistically, delays of 12+ hours are really quite rare. I've had 2 in the last 10 years of heavy flying and both were mechanical so lodging and a meal was covered by the airline. Again, perhaps I've been lucky, but travel delay insurance preys on the fear of people who think airlines and airports are some sort of lord of the flies hellscape when in reality, most are among the most efficiently run businesses you'll ever see.

Trip cancellation insurance on the other hand is a legitimately good benefit, one I do wish the Platinum had, but it is just not something I imagine comes up that often. Perhaps if I had a family and was traveling with 4 or 5 people in my party and I was needing to purchase 4 or 5 ~$1,000 tickets plus hotel I'd think differently, but traveling solo or with just my wife, I'm just not spending that kind of money. I live in South Florida and deal with hurricanes on a yearly basis, I frequently travel to Asia and deal with typhoons on a yearly basis including 2 in 4 days last August and not once have I spent or lost more than a few hundred dollars as a result. The hassle of gathering and submitting paperwork and spending an hour on the phone with a credit card company would be more costly to me. For those of you with children, especially small children prone to random illnesses, trip cancellation insurance is likely far more important.

As for travel interruption insurance, correct me if I'm wrong, but Chase's travel interruption insurance does not actually include reimbursements for expenses you incur as a result of that interruption. At least it does not explicitly include them and I've seen more than a few data points to suggest it does not. To me, the most expensive part of any potential interruption is the booking of last minute alternative transportation, which in most cases will run in excess of thousands of dollars per person. I believe Citi does explicitly cover these expenses, as do most third party travel insurance companies, but from what I understand, Chase does not. That's a big asterisk if you ask me.

Again, YMMV on all of this and every situation is different, but I think the benefits of Chase's travel delay, interruption and cancellation insurances are overstated and are preying on fear of things that just aren't likely to happen and aren't likely to be that costly if they do. It isn't like medical insurance. Medical care can run in excess of 6 digits very quickly. But hey. maybe I've been really lucky.

Originally Posted by jediwho
The way I read his comments and based on my experience is that it's very hard to get much economic benefits out of the Trip delay or travel insurance because either airlines would pay for your hotel stays, or the delay won't be significant enough or the tickets are not expensive enough to do to a doctor to get a certificate (pay copay, deductible, etc.). Essentially with trip delay/travel insurance, your downside would average around $500 and once you adjust for probability of it happening and the joint probability of you getting the benefit is much much lower. Second, $500 is not going to make or break you, if it did we won't be having multiple CC with more than $450 AF. Compare that to medical evacuation that could run over $100,000. Sure, the probability of that happening is hopefully much much lower than one needing travel or trip delay insurance, but $100K is a large number for most people.
Precisely. 12+ hour delays are just plain rare and in all honesty, if we're spending $450-$550 just to carry these cards, covering the random 12+ hour delay that may or may not ever happen isn't really putting a dent in anything. It certainly isn't happening so often that you're needing to utilize it repeatedly. If it is, that sounds like a planning problem more than any sort of random act or bad luck. Add in that a lot of those 12+ hour delays might be mechanical or other problems covered by the airline and most people, even the most frequent of travelers, simply are not going to utilize that benefit that often.

Medical evacuation on the other hand, while even more rare, is something that will absolutely break you and, in most cases, will run in excess of $100K almost immediately. Add in the difficulty that would otherwise come from trying to arrange evacuation in a foreign land by yourself and that is a definite peace of mind benefit. The fact that you don't even need to use the Platinum for your trip to get evacuation insurance is itself an impressive benefit.

If I'm planning an especially expensive trip, one that is costing me in excess of the $10,000 Chase might cover, I can very easily buy third party travel insurance on a trip by trip basis, likely for far cheaper than the CSR's annual fee would cost me.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I thought the CSR's trip delay coverage was >6 hours, not 12. I must have missed a recent change or something.

Anyway, the one delay I've had recently (that required an overnight stay) was weather related, which Delta didn't cover. The most difficult part of the claim was getting the letter from Delta. I also remember Chase ultimately covering everything I charged on my cards as a result of the delay, but then again, they could indeed no longer be doing so.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delivery sounds like how i got my metal plat card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.