Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Tempted to get this but not sure what to cut from my wallet. Currently have Plat, EDP, and CSR.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:54 pm

Mine only says Requested Oct 4, Shipping Method: USPS. No expected delivery date and I haven't received an email saying it's shipped. Guess it hasn't even shipped yet.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
So i'm looking at my AMEX Plat Account. The free Gold card is showing the Rose Gold option. Is this the same 4x? If it is, not sure why i'm paying $250,
Should be a glitch right?

Last edited by twkidM3; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3
So i'm looking at my AMEX Plat Account. The free Gold card is showing the Rose Gold option. Is this the same 4x? If it is, not sure why i'm paying $250,
Should be a glitch right?
It's different. Scroll down to see the benefits of a Gold Card AU.

Last edited by mia; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:47 pm Reason: Please do not quote images
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:40 pm

$25K/year limit on groceries

Any DP on whether grocery purchases made prior to 10/4 for existing card holders count toward the $25K/year limit? Or does it start at zero from 10/4 and on?

Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by twkidM3
So i'm looking at my AMEX Plat Account. ....
I would try again. The screen for ordering additional cards on a Platinum Card account looks very different.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by cwh82
Mine only says Requested Oct 4, Shipping Method: USPS. No expected delivery date and I haven't received an email saying it's shipped. Guess it hasn't even shipped yet.
Same here. Still waiting on my wives card. No ETA at all
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:31 pm

Card just arrived. The postage stamp was on Oct 8 and took 3 days to get here. Site still doesn't say expected delivery. Oh well.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:34 pm

Mine has a Request date of 10/8 but the Address shows "pending"
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ariesflyertalk
Tempted to get this but not sure what to cut from my wallet. Currently have Plat, EDP, and CSR.
Would you have a use for the EDP if you had this? Certainly this beats EDP for groceries and restaurants, and if you had Blue Business Plus also that would beat EDP for everything else (whether you do "30" or not on your EDP).

And if you can use the monthly GrubHub/Seamless (or a couple chain restaurants) $10 credit, and can use $100 more of the same kind of airline credit as with your Plat, then the EFFECTIVE AF of the Gold would actually be lower than the actual AF of the EDP.
Statman likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:43 pm

Ideally when all there is to consider is min-maxing I would cancel sapphire and edp for rose gold and blue business. Unfortunately the boss said she doesn’t feel like canceling CSR or switching all our recurring bills from the edp ��
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:18 pm

No card for me today! Maybe tomorrow

I did get my downgraded Chase Ink Unlimited (from Preferred) - probably should have just canceled it though
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by miuk
Mine has a Request date of 10/8 but the Address shows "pending"
I requested mine the night of 10/3 and got a 10/13 expected arrival date confirmation email. I did eventually get a card shipped email on 10/9, it says it shipped via USPS. I guess we'll see if the 10/13 ETA holds up.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL GM
Are there any AU bonus offers out for the PRG/Gold right now? With these new changes, I'm probably going to add my wife to my account as an AU since we split grocery and dining and an AU on my existing account should be grandfathered into the 2x gas as well I would assume. Before I pulled the trigger I figured I should see if any AU bonuses showed up recently.

In retrospect, I probably should have just had her apply for her own when these changes were leaked figuring there would be an AF increase. Does having a card as an AU preclude you from getting a bonus for a card on your own account in the future? At $250 and no first year waiver, I'm on the fence if it makes sense whether or not to just have her sign up for her own anyway if I can get the 50K bonus to show up. The effective AF is really only $30 as we'd have zero trouble using the airline and food credits, but while I still have 2x gas on my account it might make sense to go AU first and then have her get her own, as long as it doesn't eliminate her bonus potential in the future.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:11 pm

Very helpful reply!

“Go to web version, click on Activities. Then on the right side, you'll see something like "Preview New Version/Beta." Look at the transaction one by one. Should show MR earn rate if enough time has passed, usually a week.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.