Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce
I'm one of the unlucky people that doesn't have Grubhub or seamless in my town, nor do I have a Cheesecake factory, Ruths, or Shake shack. What are my options or am I SOL?

Has anyone tried buying an online gift card yet to see if it triggers the credit? Cheesecake Factory and Shake Shack allow you to buy $10 gift cards where Ruth Chris has a $25 minimum.
In-store GC might still work but I wouldn't bet on online GC purchase since GC is officially excluded.

If you have a family member, relative, or a close friend living at another town with any of them, treat them using your card through shake shack app order or cheesecake factory online order (we don't know app/online order works or not though) or grubhub/seamless.
DrForce likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Is Starbucks coded like a restaurant? I have my Csr as the auto-reload card, wondering if I should switch to the gold.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by twkidM3
Is Starbucks coded like a restaurant? I have my Csr as the auto-reload card, wondering if I should switch to the gold.
Positive. Every fast food chain shows as a restaraunts on a statement.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Yep. Pretty remarkable for a card with such a significant annual fee. In fact, it's mind-blowing when you consider that the Chase Sapphire Preferred has Trip Delay and Trip Interruption coverage, along with primary CDW for rental cars.

If I were to purchase standalone travel insurance to cover the lack of such a benefit with the PRG, it would cost me more to use my PRG and purchase travel insurance than it would to just use my CSR and get the free insurance. That would hold true even for the Amex Plat, for which the flights would net 5 points per dollar instead of the 3 for the CSR.

The omission is glaring, to say the least.
Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I have never, ever, had a situation where any additional travel delay/interruption insurance would have helped me. I guess from a peace of mind perspective I can understand it would be a big deal for people, but I just never run into a situation where it would have made any difference. I do think Amex should offer it, because like you say it is a high annual fee travel card, but it just isn't something I've ever found myself using and I've been in trips plagued by hurricanes and typhoons.

Now, what the American Express Platinum does offer is emergency evacuation insurance, with no cost cap, and without even having to have used it to book the trip you're on. That is a benefit that is, as far as I know, unmatched by any credit card anywhere else in the world and one that most certainly gives me more peace of mind than any delay insurance might. I had a family member have a minor medical emergency on a cruise earlier this year and Amex was very helpful in orchestrating medical help ashore at no cost to us, though luckily it didn't require a full fledged evacuation and the trip was concluded normally.

Definitely wish Amex would offer it, but it's hardly a dealbreaker and I'd much rather use my various Amex cards to book travel than I would using a CSR/CSP just on the off chance I need the delay insurance.
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by luitje

Positive. Every fast food chain shows as a restaraunts on a statement.
Starbucks most definitely codes as a restaurant. I've always received 2x points at Starbucks, even when using my PRG just to reload my balance on the Starbucks app.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
AmEx contactless cards issued in the US have been EMV mode for a while now. Mobile wallets are still MSD only though.
I'll have to try again but I know contactless has never worked in Europe on my Amex in the last couple years (error in reading), whereas my Paypal Debit MC always does.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Shake Shack on the 4th, credit posted yesterday although it says the 8th but it didn't actually appear until yesterday.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sinince
​​​​​​
Yes it did, 2x at the time.
Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:03 am

Why does Apple Pay code correctly and sometimes doesn't? Another poster said Apple Pay uses MSD (magnetic strip data)?? I don't see how one type of data is better than the other (MSD vs. EMV). Bu if the data is "better" on the EMV chip, why wouldn't they upload EMV data when we set up Apple Pay?

BTW, what happens if a pay terminal uses EMV (dip and chip), but I swiped instead? Would the purchase code correctly? Perhaps the payment wouldn't even go through?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Is it best to avoid Google Pay, in case it doesn't code correctly?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Magna
Another poster said Apple Pay uses MSD (magnetic strip data)?? I don't see how one type of data is better than the other (MSD vs. EMV). Bu if the data is "better" on the EMV chip, why wouldn't they upload EMV data when we set up Apple Pay?

BTW, what happens if a pay terminal uses EMV (dip and chip), but I swiped instead? Would the purchase code correctly? Perhaps the payment wouldn't even go through?
MSD contactless is a compatibility measure for countries like the US that aren't 100% chip enabled. It doesn't include some of the security measures that the EMV protocol has, so the networks are pushing for us to transition away from it. That said, I don't think anyone knows why AmEx sets up mobile wallets differently than contactless on physical cards.

As for your other question, the terminal will make you insert if you try to swipe. The exception is if the chip fails a certain number of times (usually 2-3). Regardless, there should be no difference in merchant coding for bonus purposes.

Is it best to avoid Google Pay, in case it doesn't code correctly?
In my experience there's no difference in merchant coding with the physical card compared to using any mobile wallet. The one issue you may run into is if you use something like Rewards Network or Yelp Cash (although recently mobile wallet transactions have been counting for both despite not having the virtual card number on either).

However, there are T&C in AmEx Offers etc. that indicate that mobile wallet transactions may not count. That's likely CYA language, though.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:16 am

Update - my replacement (requested morning PST on 10/4) Gold card still says today for expected delivery. Reached out to CSR via chat and she said it had shipped (even though I never got an email that it shipped). I'm sort of curious if it will show up in my mailbox today or tomorrow.'

She couldn't tell me what day it shipped on or a tracking number - its coming USPS standard mail
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:36 am

Just received 15k MR bonus for self referral ^ Applied and approved on Oct 9th.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Update - my replacement (requested morning PST on 10/4) Gold card still says today for expected delivery. Reached out to CSR via chat and she said it had shipped (even though I never got an email that it shipped). I'm sort of curious if it will show up in my mailbox today or tomorrow.'

She couldn't tell me what day it shipped on or a tracking number - its coming USPS standard mail
Where does it say expect delivery. My wife shows card requested on Oct 4 with address. No other info. I asked chat team and dude said cards take between 10-12 business days cause of demand
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by trikotret

Where does it say expect delivery. My wife shows card requested on Oct 4 with address. No other info. I asked chat team and dude said cards take between 10-12 business days cause of demand
If you switch to your Gold card and go here: https://global.americanexpress.com/a...rd-replacement

You should see this:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.