Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Also, does anyone know if seamless.com and grubhub.com count as dining (4x)?
This is my question as well. Would appreciate any data points as people start using their Grubhub/Seamless benefits this month.

The T&C (https://global.americanexpress.com/c...ds-points/gold) isn't super clear. Possibly relevant part:
"A purchase will not qualify for additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not qualify for additional points. A purchase may not qualify for additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet."
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by qisu
This is my question as well. Would appreciate any data points as people start using their Grubhub/Seamless benefits this month.

The T&C (https://global.americanexpress.com/c...ds-points/gold) isn't super clear. Possibly relevant part:
"A purchase will not qualify for additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not qualify for additional points. A purchase may not qualify for additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet."
I already made a Grubhub purchase with my new Gold card but it hasn’t posted yet. However, this is how to shows on my other Amex cards:

Doing business as:
GRUBHUB/SEAMLESS
View Details on Merchant Website
111 W WASHINGTON ST
-
CHICAGO
IL
UNITED STATES
Additional Information:
Reference:
Category:Restaurant - Restaurant
sdsearch and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by mia
Very unlikely. American Express has long seen Platinum and Gold serving different, though overlapping, markets. If you want the benefits of Platinum and the rewards of Gold, you'll almost certainly need to pay for both.
I'd happily pay for both, but I don't want to carry two cards. We need one card that combines the best of what Amex offers.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
Does Trader Joe’s count as grocery spend?
No one can guarantee that there isn't some Trader Joe's out there that's miscoded, but so far every Trader Joe's used my Everyday card at gave 2x for groceries.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
The increased rewards for US restaurant and supermarket purchases are fantastic. I still can't get over the last of truly comprehensive travel insurance on the card, though. I recognize that the Amex Platinum is Amex "Travel" card, but even it lacks basic trip interruption/delay insurance. I don't travel nearly as often as many/most on this board, but using my CSR for all of my airline purchases is a no-brainer, given how much it saves me on standalone travel insurance.

Fortunately, for me, my travel partners of choice are Delta and KLM/Air France, with the latter being my usual transfer partner. CSR gets me 3 miles per dollar for travel purchases and the travel insurance I need, and I can transfer those points to Flying Blue. With the increase to the US restaurant and supermarket rewards for the PRG, I'll probably switch over to that for my spending in those categories. That'll max out what I can earn with Amex, should I need to transfer to Skymiles, and then I can still transfer to Flying Blue with Amex Rewards as well.

Going forward, for me, it'll be:

Travel: Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3 Points per Dollar + Travel Insurance
Restaurants: American Express Premier Rewards Gold - 4 Points per Dollar
Supermarkets: American Express Premier Rewards Gold - 4 Points per Dollar
All else: Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5 Points per Dollar
(With the Delta Platinum Amex in reserve for priority boarding and a free checked bag.)

Last edited by eastindywalrus; Oct 8, 2018 at 4:26 am
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:53 am

Does Trader Joe’s count as grocery spend?
It counts as groceries on my EDP so i would assume it counts as groceries on PRG
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:15 am

where did you get this info?

did they email it to you?
No - email

Originally Posted by twkidM3
Right, I didn't get any email.for card being shipped. Weird.
Nope, didn't get anything saying mine was shipped - nor have UPS or FedEx notified me to expect a package.

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Go like if you were to request a new card: account services -> replace lost or damaged card and expand your card. Shipping details should be there.
This - go here under your Gold card: https://global.americanexpress.com/a...rd-replacement

Though, I guess I also messed up and tried to get a metal card before the site was updated on the morning of 10/4...so I accidentally said my card was lost (I honestly didn't realize I was doing this - I was just following the Doctor of Credit process to request the metal card). I saw later that they added a button to order a replacement metal card without saying it was lost (and thus, probably, no number change). Oh well...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:43 am

Talking Its Here!!!!!!!!!!!

HI all,
I got the card 2 days early. I was supposed to get it on Monday via UPS but UPS decided to deliver it on sat. From the first impression, the card looks really good. Its not very pink. I was worried at first that it will be girly pink. But depending on the angle and the lightening you look at card. Sometimes it looks rose gold, copper brass. Its definitely thinner than Plat card. The plat card feels stainless steel metal. I think the new card is the same thickness of the CSR card. Bottom line, I think us guys will fee comfortable carrying it. Here are some pictures and you will notice it has different colors.

Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I applied on October 4 and just got an email today saying it shipped and to expect it in 7 to 10 days. This is pretty slow.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by trikotret
HI all,
I got the card 2 days early. I was supposed to get it on Monday via UPS but UPS decided to deliver it on sat. From the first impression, the card looks really good. Its not very pink. I was worried at first that it will be girly pink. But depending on the angle and the lightening you look at card. Sometimes it looks rose gold, copper brass. Its definitely thinner than Plat card. The plat card feels stainless steel metal. I think the new card is the same thickness of the CSR card. Bottom line, I think us guys will fee comfortable carrying it. Here are some pictures and you will notice it has different colors.
Awesome! You must've applied early on Thursday.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Awesome! You must've applied early on Thursday.
I actually had the PRG but sweet talk rep to expedite the metal card.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by trikotret
.... thinner than Plat card. ....
Looks as if you are comparing to the Platinum Card without Contactless. The card construction is different when the Contactless feature is present. (As far as I know there is no option to order the new Gold card without Contactless.)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Looks as if you are comparing to the Platinum Card without Contactless. The card construction is different when the Contactless feature is present. (As far as I know there is no option to order the new Gold card without Contactless.)
I just pointed out it's thinner cause we were all wondering if it's the same thickness as plat. But it's still a good looking card. I'd love to see how it compares to the new gold metal card.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
The increased rewards for US restaurant and supermarket purchases are fantastic. I still can't get over the last of truly comprehensive travel insurance on the card, though. I recognize that the Amex Platinum is Amex "Travel" card, but even it lacks basic trip interruption/delay insurance. I don't travel nearly as often as many/most on this board, but using my CSR for all of my airline purchases is a no-brainer, given how much it saves me on standalone travel insurance.

Fortunately, for me, my travel partners of choice are Delta and KLM/Air France, with the latter being my usual transfer partner. CSR gets me 3 miles per dollar for travel purchases and the travel insurance I need, and I can transfer those points to Flying Blue. With the increase to the US restaurant and supermarket rewards for the PRG, I'll probably switch over to that for my spending in those categories. That'll max out what I can earn with Amex, should I need to transfer to Skymiles, and then I can still transfer to Flying Blue with Amex Rewards as well.

Going forward, for me, it'll be:

Travel: Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3 Points per Dollar + Travel Insurance
Restaurants: American Express Premier Rewards Gold - 4 Points per Dollar
Supermarkets: American Express Premier Rewards Gold - 4 Points per Dollar
All else: Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5 Points per Dollar
(With the Delta Platinum Amex in reserve for priority boarding and a free checked bag.)
I would suggest getting the Amex BBP, which gives 2x, for daily spend especially since you say that FlyingBlue is your preferred transfer partner. Amex frequently offers a 25% transfer bonus unlike Chase, which helps reduce the cost of redemptions.

If you don't have the regular Freedom card, I would get that by applying or PCing the Freedom Unlimited since the 5% categories are an easy 7500 points for $1500 spend per quarter.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:52 pm

AMEX appears to be reimbursing those of us who opted into the dining credit when the benefits leaked early.

$15 GrubHub purchase on September 20; $10 "CR ADJ FOR BILLING INQUIR" on October 5.

Anyone know if we also get an October credit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.