Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It is probably because you talked to the rep about ordering the Rose Gold for your wife and the rep told you the AU card flavor is determined by the Primary card.
You cannot have Gold but to get Rose Gold for your wife. Either you convince your wife Gold is prettier than Rose Gold or you have to give up your Gold so she can have her Rose Gold.
Haha. Rep told me I can have a gold one later but to request it after I receive the Rose one. No idea why they did it like that
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:11 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Lookie what just showed up in my email.

No no charge cards with AMEX but 4 personal CCs & 1 Biz CC.

I was planning on hitting both personal and biz platinum cards next year for sign up bonuses—meeting the spend isn’t an issue as I’m self-employed.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
How much do they charge for an AU with this card?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Anyone else unable to order a new metal card? Website is telling me that is only available for my Platinum card.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:11 am

The AF on my Plat just posted and I’m planning on canceling it. I want this card now. I have 5 AMEX credit cards and the Plat charge card. Should I cancel my Plat first, then apply for Gold? Or get Gold first, then cancel Plat?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
How are supermarkets categorized?
Do small local mom and pop owned shops classify as supermarkets? The places I shop are categorized as "groceries" considered to be supermarkets?

According to visa the markets I shop at shows -
  • GROCERY STORES/ SUPERMARKETS/ BAKERIES - 5422
  • CONVENIENCE STORES - 5499

Amex categorize as
5422 Freezer and Locker Meat Provisioners

Does this count?

assuming the grocery one will work, but the other one listed as convince store won't.

Last edited by twkidM3; Oct 5, 2018 at 2:55 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
The AF on my Plat just posted and I’m planning on canceling it. I want this card now. I have 5 AMEX credit cards and the Plat charge card. Should I cancel my Plat first, then apply for Gold? Or get Gold first, then cancel Plat?
Call to downgrade the Plat, they might offer you a bunch of miles, someone said they got 50k by calling and saying they want to downgrade to Gold in the retention thread.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Am I correct in understanding that, for the purposes of the getting the bonus of 25K (or 50K) MR points for initial spending, this is not considered a new card. That is, if you've had the Amex personal Gold card before, you won't get that initial spending bonus. Do I have that right?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Am I correct in understanding that, for the purposes of the getting the bonus of 25K (or 50K) MR points for initial spending, this is not considered a new card. That is, if you've had the Amex personal Gold card before, you won't get that initial spending bonus. Do I have that right?
Yes you are correct. Amex bonus offers are once in a lifetime. But this is a new card, also named differently, so it is a grey area.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 355F1
How much do they charge for an AU with this card?
No fees for AU on Gold card.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by twkidM3
....this is a new card, also named differently, so it is a grey area.
There is no ambiguity:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
sdsearch and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:32 am

Correct, this is not a "new card" for sign-up bonus purposes.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re categories look at your year end review or categories/trends

many spend a heck of a lot more than $2K / mo at grocery stores (not to mention wine for example, which can run several thousand per bottle, and events/catering, etc)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by kantscholar
Correct, this is not a "new card" for sign-up bonus purposes.
I had the gold card 1988-1991, I wonder if it will count. I guess I will find out.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

all cards with bonus 'shopping' include language about gift cards for earning (not signup bonuses)

cards without bonus 'shopping' do NOT include language about gift cards for earning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.