Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
I just tried applying for the standard 25K welcome offer and was told I'm not eligible for the bonus. I don't understand AMEX. Only 1 card within the last 2 years.
Do they still HP you if you aren't eligible ?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
AmEx does not see much activities from you.
Originally Posted by JHake10
I just tried applying for the standard 25K welcome offer and was told I'm not eligible for the bonus. I don't understand AMEX. Only 1 card within the last 2 years.
Do you spend a lot on Amex cards? I've gotten maybe 5-6 cards in the last year and a half and was not denied for my latest card. I have put between $25-$70k on Amex cards over the last few years though pretty consistently.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:55 am

" The annual fee for the Gold Card will be $250. If you are a current Gold Card Member, your new annual fee will be effective on your anniversary date, on or after April 1, 2019. You will be notified in 2019 regarding your personal renewal date." From the FAQ. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...date-faqs.html. I just got the PRG in July 2019, does that mean my next annual fee will be $250 in July 2019?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by trikotret
Just a DP. I tried to order the Rose gold card for my wife since she's an authorized user and I wanted gold one. Rep said that we both need to start with the Rose gold card in order for authorized user to get the Rose gold card. After we receive cards, I can call and request a gold card. What's with all these loops to get a card.
Same experience here. I wanted to keep my plastic card but the rep said that I need to get the Rose metal card for my wife to get the Rose metal card as well. Don't get Amex's logic here.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:33 am

I will be drastically increasing my use of this card for restaurants. Right now I am barely using it, but it will go to the top of the wallet.

However, I cannot see myself keeping it once it goes up to $250. I will probably cancel and move to the new Savor card.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:00 am

Find a referral wherever you like. You can get 50k MR for $2000 spend v. public offer for half of that.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:03 am

Interesting move here. I wonder if it’s a direct shot at Chases’ Sapphire lineup? Mainly going for those that want more poins than the Preferred, but uninformedly balk at the $450 for the Reserve.

4x dining/groceries, and 3x on airline tickets is a nice combo.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Interesting move here. I wonder if it’s a direct shot at Chases’ Sapphire lineup? Mainly going for those that want more poins than the Preferred, but uninformedly balk at the $450 for the Reserve.

Yeah, $250 is right in between the CSP and CSR AFs, but Amex is saying, hey, you get another 1% back with us. If the average person uses even a few AmexOffers a year, it becomes an easy decision over Chase. (Not that I choose sides, I'll use whatever bank/card is best suited for the situation).
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Does the EDP also have gift card language for grocery spend? What has been people's experience with this on EDP? I wonder how Amex will decide on which transactions are GC purchases.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I will be drastically increasing my use of this card for restaurants. Right now I am barely using it, but it will go to the top of the wallet.

However, I cannot see myself keeping it once it goes up to $250. I will probably cancel and move to the new Savor card.
What is the logic?? Explain?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone been able to find a 50k offer today?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thunderlounge

I do not think this will shake Chase CSR. Clearly Chase is going a different direction and won't compete head to head.

Chase has one huge asset. It is a true bank, and AmEx is not a true bank. Chase may lean toward BofA Preferred Rewards Program. The Sapphire Banking relationship clear states that. For its high balance bank customers, I'll see Chase to increase the CSR reward up to another 1.5x,even 1.75x on UR points. AmEx gets nothing to compete on the bank deposit front.

Citi will also be part of the game. Wells Fargo has something like this (bank relationship), but it has not leveraged yet.

The game just gets started. I expect AmEx to continue to increase its AF. The cost is just very high with a $55 AF increase.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jvel
Has anyone been able to find a 50k offer today?
Yes. But I need to shut down one....
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes. But I need to shut down one....
Was it a referral offer or were you able to get it to pull on the AMEX site?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:41 am

What is the logic?? Explain?
So the easy part:

As a current PRG member, the immediate changes are great. I'm not paying more but I am getting more, so I am a happy camper. As I said, the Amex will now be used for all my restaurant and grocery purchases.

However, in the long-term, I do not think $250 is worth it.

I am frankly annoyed by all the hassles.

Airline credit requires jumping through hoops if you dont need to pay for bags. Never mind that having to pick one airlines for a year is an annoying limitation compared to everyone else.

The new $10 dining credit is again a hassle, and is obviously done that way so they an advertise it and hope most people never use it. You have to opt-in, which is easy (don't forget to do it guys), but that's an immediate barrier. Then the way it is split up monthly and only good at certain places. I will have to change my behavior and remember to do things right to get the full value.

I find Amex points a hassle to use at a decent value. Using it as a cash-back option is a sad .5 cents a point (or .7 at Amazon). Using it for airlines for US flights requires again jumping through hoops by understanding the different rules for various international carriers - fuel charges, transfer times, etc.And what if something goes wrong? What if I transfer x points to some foreign airline and then find that the ticket I wanted is no longer available with points? ... am I going to do with the points locked up somewhere else?

Basically, when my renewal comes up, I will call and see if they can entice me to stay around for another year with a lower fee or other retention offer. If not, I think Im ready for the ease of a flat 4% cash back card, or whatever is in the market at that point in time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.